PRESIDENT FORD

PRESIDENT FORD

January 2nd, 2007, 2:38 pm #1

I and other NAVY VETERANS offer our condolences to the FORD FAMILY
REST IN PEACE, MR.PRESIDENT

January 2nd, 2007, 3:04 pm #2

They will be hard pressed to speak anything but good of this President. Aside from the jokes of his golf and couple of stumbles, he has never had bad press that I can recall concerning his personal or civil service life.

January 3rd, 2007, 12:03 am #3

I and other NAVY VETERANS offer our condolences to the FORD FAMILY
REST IN PEACE, MR.PRESIDENT
At his funeral today, the arrangement of "Eternal Father" was one of the most beautiful I've ever heard... a very fitting tribute to God and those who served... including President Ford.

January 3rd, 2007, 2:33 am #4

During our on-board memorial services this past year, Mike Whicker has read the text of "Eternal Father" over LST 325's PA system. Mike's voice is base and carries very well adding to the solemnity of the service. During such services we have the piping of the bereaved family aboard our ship complete with uniformed sideboys and the vets provide a color guard. Speeches and prayers are afforded the family followed by the tolling of the ship's bell with one peal, honoring the deceased. A laying of a memorial wreath into the river by a family member with assistance from a crewmember is followed by a reading of an appropriate hymn (Navy/Marine - Eternal Father; Army - God of Our Fathers; Air Force - The Air Force Hymn; Coast Guard - A Coast Guard Prayer). Then the local Veteran's Post gunners render a gun salute with their rifles and their bugler plays taps from the 03 deck, sometimes with a echo bugler. After taps, we have an official dismissal with the bosun's pipe over the PA system. These services are greatly appreciated by the family of the deceased and at times the public has been invited to attend (with permission of the family). We do these services on a volunteer basis solely to honor the deceased veteran at his/her family's request, and our crewmen come to our ship even though they are not on duty to serve in the Memorial Squad.