Pictures from Paducah online

Pictures from Paducah online

May 10th, 2009, 11:14 pm #1

This person posted 3 interesting pictures of the LST in Paducah with a little bit of history included.

http://www.photography.ca/Forums/showthread.php?t=3572

May 11th, 2009, 4:37 pm #2

Upon first viewing the three photos, a sailor who respects his ship would say they present a sad picture that one would not want to present to the public. The pictures have been altered by slight darkening and adding high contrast which accentuates the rust colors more than what one saw when looking at it directly.

However, the photograper is an "artist" and did alter it to look more like a painting. Plus the comments below the pictures show only APPROVAL of her efforts, showing that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

The pictures, when looked at thoughtfully, tend to tell a story... years of service but still sailing on! More so than a "spic 'n' span" freshly cleaned and painted lady
looking younger than her age.

I can appreciate both viewpoints, but, being a sailor, I would still prefer the freshly "dressed up" latter version... not "over the hill," but still capable of doing the hard jobs that were routine in her early years.

To be sure, she will definitely outlast all of us who are
of the same or younger ages. Long may she sail thrilling new visitors with her stories of service to country and mankind.

May 12th, 2009, 12:02 am #3

I know the rust streeks look bad in the photo's, but that has nothing to do with the way the ship works

May 12th, 2009, 2:07 am #4

All of us know that the rust does not have anything to do with the operartion of the ship...BUT!!...for the average person, it is perceived
that the ship is falling apart. All ships this old will show rust regardless how often they are painted. By the way, remembrr what she looked like back when she entyered Mobile Bay.

May 12th, 2009, 11:56 am #5

This person posted 3 interesting pictures of the LST in Paducah with a little bit of history included.

http://www.photography.ca/Forums/showthread.php?t=3572
The photos are good from an artistic viewpoint. Contrast, lighting, cropping and unusual viewpoints are tools of the photographer to present an image in different ways. I am sure the artist meant no disrespect for the ship. If you look at the photos and use your imagination you are drawn to the ship and her dignity and perhaps wonder what far off places she has been and what she has accomplished to get this way. Each and every battle scar has its story.

May 12th, 2009, 6:03 pm #6

Upon first viewing the three photos, a sailor who respects his ship would say they present a sad picture that one would not want to present to the public. The pictures have been altered by slight darkening and adding high contrast which accentuates the rust colors more than what one saw when looking at it directly.

However, the photograper is an "artist" and did alter it to look more like a painting. Plus the comments below the pictures show only APPROVAL of her efforts, showing that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

The pictures, when looked at thoughtfully, tend to tell a story... years of service but still sailing on! More so than a "spic 'n' span" freshly cleaned and painted lady
looking younger than her age.

I can appreciate both viewpoints, but, being a sailor, I would still prefer the freshly "dressed up" latter version... not "over the hill," but still capable of doing the hard jobs that were routine in her early years.

To be sure, she will definitely outlast all of us who are
of the same or younger ages. Long may she sail thrilling new visitors with her stories of service to country and mankind.
I've heard it said around ship restoration projects that evidence of rust never hurts & especially when a ship such as LST-325 has engineering, electrical and communications systems functioning to keep her "alive". Considering her age, the rust is just cosmetic and a little fresh "battle grey" makeup will do the trick to make her beauty "shine"! (after a little chipping, of course.)

A lot of Historic Naval ships that gleam with shining surfaces would give anything to have working systems to leave their docks under their own power but those glory days are gone forever. It's a credit to the LST-325 organization who has always considered engineering as a top priority so the ship & her history can be brought to other locations.

Another thing to consider is that folks can see what it takes to keep a vessel "ship-shape" & how their contributions are well spent towards the overall maintenance, including the purchase of paint !!!

By the way, the open bow door photos are super & especially when one considers all the work done there. What a wonderful way to show the purpose of LST's as the ship approaches the shore and those doors open wide to welcome visitors !!!

Congratulations and sincere appreciation to everyone who made this successful Paducah trip possible !!