Personal update

Personal update

February 20th, 2009, 6:47 am #1

Following is an update concerning my health over the past year and a half for those of you who have contacted me, often wondering where I've been and what I've been doing:
I have sucessfully combated cancer with the help of the Lord and my doctors. It took about a year and included extreme radiation and 2 operations. Even though the operations were outpatient procedures lasting 6 hours each, they were somewhat invasive with lingering side effects that have mostly disappeared. I have had to establish a new "normal" which is not to hard to tolerate, and have received an "all clear" from the cancer by my oncologists and urologists.
Of course, I did not do volunteer work on the LST during that period, but kept in touch with several of my ship mates, and continue to do so.
Recently I took a new tact in my life by rejoining my church orchestra as a percussionist (I beat on things), and find that it is time consuming but very joyful and fulfilling. The intensity of our music ministry is about on the level of the Philharmonic orchestra, so it really doesn't leave to much time for anything else, except for my bowling in 2 senior, early morning leagues. I find the bowling to be helpful for exercise, and not to strenuous.
Perhaps someday I may be in a position to volunteer once again aboard the LST. Meanwhile, I have not forgotten you all and love to read the discussion and chat page and view all the pictures posted on the Progress Report.
Take care and let me know how you gentlemen and ladies are doing.

February 20th, 2009, 1:00 pm #2

Congratulations, Bob, on a complete and successful recovery -- God is to be praised! We've missed you!

February 20th, 2009, 2:30 pm #3

Following is an update concerning my health over the past year and a half for those of you who have contacted me, often wondering where I've been and what I've been doing:
I have sucessfully combated cancer with the help of the Lord and my doctors. It took about a year and included extreme radiation and 2 operations. Even though the operations were outpatient procedures lasting 6 hours each, they were somewhat invasive with lingering side effects that have mostly disappeared. I have had to establish a new "normal" which is not to hard to tolerate, and have received an "all clear" from the cancer by my oncologists and urologists.
Of course, I did not do volunteer work on the LST during that period, but kept in touch with several of my ship mates, and continue to do so.
Recently I took a new tact in my life by rejoining my church orchestra as a percussionist (I beat on things), and find that it is time consuming but very joyful and fulfilling. The intensity of our music ministry is about on the level of the Philharmonic orchestra, so it really doesn't leave to much time for anything else, except for my bowling in 2 senior, early morning leagues. I find the bowling to be helpful for exercise, and not to strenuous.
Perhaps someday I may be in a position to volunteer once again aboard the LST. Meanwhile, I have not forgotten you all and love to read the discussion and chat page and view all the pictures posted on the Progress Report.
We are so happy to read your GREAT report. With God all things are possible. We hope to see you come visit us at the ship when you can. Tammy & Garry

February 20th, 2009, 3:55 pm #4

Glad to hear the good news Bob. Prayers are a powerful thing as so many of us know.

February 21st, 2009, 11:54 pm #5

and happy that you are feeling so much better, Bob. These medical doctors, nurses and technicians and the procedures they have developed are surely gifts from God.

February 22nd, 2009, 1:56 am #6

So glad to hear of your wonderful news. I have missed your expertise and navy know how. Capt. 325