PART OF SUPPORT GROUP HAS ARRIVED!

PART OF SUPPORT GROUP HAS ARRIVED!

August 19th, 2008, 9:12 pm #1

We are here! Anna Adams, Gladys Hisel, Garry & Tammy Hisel & Sandra Scherer have arrived in Hanibal, Missouri. Very nice town from what we have seen so far. There was a banner on the hotel welcoming us to town. The hotel staff was GREAT, very friendly. We feel very welcome and have just been here for a few minutes. We can stand on the balconey and see the river from here. In a bit we will go and see the actual river front. We will keep you posted on our activities.

August 20th, 2008, 12:02 am #2

How about a short explination about what the support group does?
I think it would be interesting.

August 20th, 2008, 10:50 am #3

runs the gift shop for the ship. We handle selling the merchandise the ship has to offer plus sell water to the thirsty. Some of the support team is those who couldn't board the ship in Evansville so they will meet it in Hannibal. It is a fun job for us. We too get to hear the stories the Vets have to tell and shed a few tears ourselves. All of us will travel the whole distance with the ship and return back to Evansville with it. Thanks for asking and I hope this answers your question.

August 20th, 2008, 5:04 pm #4

they answer questions for Visitors... hand out borchures, serve as Greeters, taxi for the Crew, and general 'go-fer' duties... Those support personnel are dedicated... just as all of the volunteers and crew are. Wish I could be there.. but it's just not possible this year...

August 21st, 2008, 11:36 am #5

Susie. I was thinking after I sent that we do a lot more but I didn't tell it like it was. We stood along the fence while the men were getting the ship ready and we did answer question after question. When you do that, you really feel the excitement of the community. We should have quite a visitor population this morning. Thanks for helping me out.

August 21st, 2008, 7:16 pm #6

Tammy - I have an old shipmate (LARRY MITCHELL) who served with me on the LST 827 (HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY) who is visiting the 325 in Hannibal with his wife and sister Friday morning from Rushville, IL. I talked to him yesterday and convinced him he should visit the ship which is about 70 miles from his home. Guess he is not too well, has trouble walking but did not want to miss the opportuniity. He is about 71, small stature and has a scraggly beard.
Being a short guy, he was always scrappy, got busted a few times and seemed to always be in trouble. He is now a farmer and has a few horses and his knickname is MAD DOG. He is not well enough to attend our 827 reunions, so I can't get the opportunity to rile him a little in person. Health issues preclude me from traveling anymore so I need your assistance.

JUST IN CASE you see him at the sign on area, please call him "THE FAMOUS LARRY MITCHELL" do me a favor and tell him his Navy time and escapades has preceeded him, and hassle him any way you can! He may suspect that I'm behind this but he needs to be stirred up a little! His wife's name is Pat.

Appreciate it!

Jim Mackie
Winnetka, CA
LST 827

August 21st, 2008, 9:30 pm #7

thought it of you Jim!!!!!

If Tammy sees him, or Jo.. I know they will take great delight in doing this for you. We like it when we have the opportunity to make someone feel very special...

August 22nd, 2008, 2:15 am #8

Tammy - I have an old shipmate (LARRY MITCHELL) who served with me on the LST 827 (HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY) who is visiting the 325 in Hannibal with his wife and sister Friday morning from Rushville, IL. I talked to him yesterday and convinced him he should visit the ship which is about 70 miles from his home. Guess he is not too well, has trouble walking but did not want to miss the opportuniity. He is about 71, small stature and has a scraggly beard.
Being a short guy, he was always scrappy, got busted a few times and seemed to always be in trouble. He is now a farmer and has a few horses and his knickname is MAD DOG. He is not well enough to attend our 827 reunions, so I can't get the opportunity to rile him a little in person. Health issues preclude me from traveling anymore so I need your assistance.

JUST IN CASE you see him at the sign on area, please call him "THE FAMOUS LARRY MITCHELL" do me a favor and tell him his Navy time and escapades has preceeded him, and hassle him any way you can! He may suspect that I'm behind this but he needs to be stirred up a little! His wife's name is Pat.

Appreciate it!

Jim Mackie
Winnetka, CA
LST 827
watch for every 71 year old man that matches that description and find out if it's him before I give him a hard time. You can bet if we see him we will take care of your request. Would love doing it. Tammy

August 22nd, 2008, 3:25 am #9

Hope you connect - he's a good sport and deserves a long distance ribbing! Thank you!

August 22nd, 2008, 11:34 pm #10

I watched as best as I could. Every man that entered that looked anything like him, I asked are you Larry? I NEVER found him. I'm so sorry, I really tried HARD. I did eat lunch and go to the restroom twice so what can I say? SORRY