Paducah... and a trivia question...

Paducah... and a trivia question...

May 2nd, 2009, 8:09 pm #1

Johnny Simmons is a new recruit... Welcome aboard, Sailor!!! Now Turn To! (We're happy to have you, Johnny... and forgive my teasing. It's standard for any of us old salts to tease newbie Sailors! Just watch out if they send you for a bucket of steam.)

Anyone who doubts our regulation Navy Chow needs to check in with Bill, John, Jim or any of the galley chefs on board!

Charlie Clark from Illinois is a long time Blue crew member. It is great to see him helping us out in Paducah!!!

TRIVIA.. Guess what this is and what it is used for?
Last edited by SeaBat on May 3rd, 2009, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2009, 9:31 pm #2

but I am not going to tell you (but"hint the race is on" )

May 2nd, 2009, 11:04 pm #3

The picture is of the "stop light" in the forward part of the tank deck, between the elevator and the ramp. It is used for traffic direction on the tank deck.

May 4th, 2009, 3:05 pm #4

You mean it's not the traffic light on the Molo San Vincenzo in Naples Italy? Maybe lying on the ground in my dress whites, looking through the bottom of a beer bottle had me confused.

May 4th, 2009, 10:34 pm #5

It is a traffic light.. of sorts... used on LSTs during loading and unloading.. let the tanks know when it was time to 'GO' When they had the tank deck packed with tanks and troops and other goods, it was essential that everyone know when it was 'safe' to proceed out and down the ramp. They guys got it hooked up and working... and it's great! A nice piece of trivia for tour guides to show visitors!

May 8th, 2009, 9:33 pm #6

The lenses are covered with only a very little light getting through the small + openings.
this was necessary so that only enough light could get out for the tank drivers to see but not enough to illuminate the tank deck, and thus make them easy targets from the beach.

May 10th, 2009, 6:23 pm #7

Had never thought about the light from that point of view.. but you're right, Bob.. it could have made them a target if the light was too much...