NWVC on 500 Kcs

NWVC on 500 Kcs

July 12th, 2005, 8:21 pm #1

In case anyone is interested, Perry was able to contact the USS Mass. on the "old" SOS freq using the TDE transmitter. The Navy dropped this frequency many years ago but the authoization still exists. The TDE was the transmitter 325 had when it was at Normandy and it is working once again. Big BRAVO ZULU to Perry. As CW is no longer used by the US the FCC is running an experiment to make this frequency as a Ham frequency for history buffs.

July 12th, 2005, 9:12 pm #2

Bob, I don't know anything about radio transmissions, but it surely was nice to be able to see the 325's radio room in working condition during the Boston visit.

Your two on-board radiomen were constantly busy yet talked to the tour participants about the equipment. There were several veterans who had 'been there' during their tour of duty... If the expressions on their faces were any indication, it brought back some VERY nice memories for them... Thanks for all that all of you are doing.

July 12th, 2005, 9:59 pm #3

Sea Bat: To bring you up to date. 500 Kcs was the original emergency calling frequency for ships in distress. In fact The famous CQD (SOS) by the Titanic was sent on 500 Kcs. Once we had SSB and sat comm, the US dropped the use of 500 Kcs. But the allocaion was still there if needed. Perry was able to contact the USS Mass on that frequency using the same type transmitter that was aboard 325 at Normandy and using the original navy call sign (NWVC) that 325 had at the time. While the ship was at sea I was able to contact her on voice using NWVC and "Checker Five" once on a MARS frequency. Checker Five was 325's call sign at Normandy as a voice call sign.
Last edited by WW2LST on July 12th, 2005, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2005, 12:52 am #4

And a bit nostalgic.

When you were in the Arctic were they using this (500)system? Satellite communications are nice...and pretty reliable...but for Radiomen, I'm sure there's nothing like being on those radios!

I know there was a Skivvy Waver that was trying to contact the ship (I believe using a Ham setup); while on board in Boston I gave the information to Perry. I don't know that they were ever able to connect, but I'm sure they all tried. With Ham radios, antennas make a difference? I'd guess that weather and atmosphere have a big impact too?

July 20th, 2005, 2:35 pm #5

In case anyone is interested, Perry was able to contact the USS Mass. on the "old" SOS freq using the TDE transmitter. The Navy dropped this frequency many years ago but the authoization still exists. The TDE was the transmitter 325 had when it was at Normandy and it is working once again. Big BRAVO ZULU to Perry. As CW is no longer used by the US the FCC is running an experiment to make this frequency as a Ham frequency for history buffs.
I saw the mention on the ARRL website about the experimental work to be done toward a 600 meter Ham band. I hope it goes! The RAK, RBA etc. will get a workout, probably not too many RAKs have been used to drive a laptop for PSK-31~8^o. W5TVW who has one of my old TCS sets is going to be part of the test. Checkout : http://500kc.com/

EdZ KG6UTS

July 20th, 2005, 2:39 pm #6

I saw the mention on the ARRL website about the experimental work to be done toward a 600 meter Ham band. I hope it goes! The RAK, RBA etc. will get a workout, probably not too many RAKs have been used to drive a laptop for PSK-31~8^o. W5TVW who has one of my old TCS sets is going to be part of the test. Checkout : http://500kc.com/

EdZ KG6UTS