New LST Sign

New LST Sign

May 31st, 2008, 6:57 pm #1

A new sign that points the way to LST 325 in Evansville has been erected on the corner of Waterworks Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway.

This project has been ongoing for some time and has been a lot of work because it is on public property.

The sign project has been a joint venture between:

USS LST Ship Memorial -- worked to move the project through all the red tape, and donated the sign
Robinwood Construction -- poured the concrete pad and erected the anchors free of charge
Traylor Brothers -- donated the anchors, and sandblasted and painted the anchors free of charge

Also, a big thank you is due Jack Cunnigham who supported the project and helped in many ways.

We feel this sign will be a tourist attraction unto itself. See photos below.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on June 2nd, 2008, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 1st, 2008, 12:57 am #2

by there today and it really does look good. Everyone who had a part in it did a GREAT job. You can't miss us now. Thanks to all who were involved in this project.

June 1st, 2008, 6:36 am #3

A new sign that points the way to LST 325 in Evansville has been erected on the corner of Waterworks Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway.

This project has been ongoing for some time and has been a lot of work because it is on public property.

USS LST Ship Memorial -- worked to move the project through all the red tape, and donated the sign
Robinwood Construction -- poured the concrete pad and erected the anchors free of charge
Traylor Brothers -- donated the anchors, and sandblasted and painted the anchors free of charge

Also, a big thank you is due Jack Cunnigham who supported the project and helped in many ways.

The next move is to do like Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota. Put up signs 400 miles away and closer that tell you how far it is to the ship. Maintain the lettering style of that sign. Maybe a supporter would put up a series of signs in the style of the Burma Shave signs. Just fun posibilities. Maybe it is already being done. Does anyone have pictures? Perhaps a contest for putting up the signs in unusual places or with the most unusual Burma Shave style slogan! Then there is the question of whether signs should list actual road miles, or as a P-47 flies.

June 1st, 2008, 12:48 pm #4

but you can bet that I'm gonna try my hand at a burma shave style lyric...

if Chappie doesn't beat me to it... I know the Gator Gals will come up with some options!

June 1st, 2008, 1:52 pm #5

Just to set the juces flowing: (the last one is mine)

Maybe you can't
Shoulder a gun
But you can shoulder
The cost of one
Buy defense bonds

<EM>Burma-Shave</EM>

Let's make Hitler
And Hirohito
Look as sick as
Old Benito
Buy defense bonds
Burma-Shave

Buying defense bonds
Means money lent
So they
Don't cost you
One red cent

<EM>Burma-Shave</EM>

Soldier
Sailor
And marine
Now get a shave
That's quick and clean
Burma-Shave

On the ocean

It may roll and dip

But in Evansville

It's a steady old ship

<EM>LST 325
</EM>

&nbsp;
Last edited by BobLST905 on June 1st, 2008, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 1st, 2008, 4:00 pm #6

but you can bet that I'm gonna try my hand at a burma shave style lyric...

if Chappie doesn't beat me to it... I know the Gator Gals will come up with some options!
Corny - but better than going outside and painting the block wall gates todday as the house Captain has requested me to do.

JUST UP THE ROAD
A LITTLE BIT MORE
LST 325 THAT HELPED
TO WIN THE WAR

GETTING CLOSER MY FRIEND
TO THE LST 325
GREAT OLD NAVY SHIP
SO WATCH HOW YOU DRIVE

THE SHIP'S GETTING CLOSER
THAT YOU CAN SEE
DRIVE SAFELY MY FRIEND
AND THERE YOU WILL BE

June 2nd, 2008, 2:19 am #7

Great job to all!
Last edited by switt81555 on June 2nd, 2008, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.