Naval Trivia

Naval Trivia

April 16th, 2006, 10:48 pm #1

In this post I'll concentrate on a few good MARINE trivia for those "Few Good Men."

QUOTE: "Leathernecks"
EXPLANATION: The Marines' long-standing nickname goes back to the leather stock or neckpiece, which was part of the Marine uniform from 1775 to 1875. The leather bands around their throats were intended to ensure that Marines kept their heads erect.

QUOTE: "Devil Dogs"
EXPLANATION: In the Belleau Wood fighting in 1918, the Germans received a through indoctrination in the fighting ability of the Marines. Fighting through supposedly impenetrable woods and capturing supposedly untakeable terrain, the persistent attacks, delivered with unbelievable courage soon had the Germans calling Marines "teufelhunden," referring to the fierce fighting dogs of legendary origin.

Note: Being a Sailor, and not a Marine, leaves me vulernable to mistakes in listing Marine trivia. I can only gleam from other trivia "experts." If you have a correction to make on anything posted concerning Marines, I'd be glad to receive your CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM (be nice)!

April 16th, 2006, 11:57 pm #2

I can see no room for any criticism here, fact is you were very kind to us.

I knew the background on the two subjects written, however, we were always kidded the "leatherneck" collar was to afix a chain to keep us in our pens.

Thanks Buddy.

Larry

April 17th, 2006, 12:19 am #3

Thanks, Larry. I have always thought highly of the Marines. I had an uncle killed in Korea who was a Marine. Later in my Navy service I made many "Devil Dog" friends aboard the aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Midway, CVA-41, when my division was kicked out of our compartment by an airdale group and we were billeted with the Marines. I stand in awe of those "few good men" to this day and count myself as an honorary "Jarhead." (It has been told me that only Marines can call one another "Jarhead" and get away with it.)