Model of LST's

Model of LST's

May 1st, 2011, 5:29 am #1

Since I am new to the 325's site I'll give a snap shot of myself:

Retired QMC with 19 years of sea duty out of 25 in the Navy
Served aboard LST's 1157, 1185, 1183 & 1187 . Other ships: APA 228, CLG 8, DLG/Dl 7 & FF1065.

Retired from civilian employment and helping raise 6 grand kids.

Hobby: Building scale models from scratch using Balsa and Bass woods of WWII era 'gators' such as LST, LSM, LCI, LCT's and others.

Question for the 325: Are you intereated in a model showing the 325 (currently under construction) with an LCT on deck and a plane hanging on the Brodie system? Possible donation or an item for the ships store? The ship would be 24 1/2" long at a scale of 1:160 or the same as an N Scale train.

Jim Craven

May 1st, 2011, 7:11 am #2

And I think I can speak for the whole crew by saying we'd love to have your model with an LCT and Brodie for display in the arrival area. BTW, Jim, where do you hail from?

May 1st, 2011, 11:54 am #3

Served aboard LST's 1157, 1185, 1183 & 1187 . Other ships: APA 228, CLG 8, DLG/Dl 7 & FF1065.

Hobby: Building scale models from scratch using Balsa and Bass woods of WWII era 'gators' such as LST, LSM, LCI, LCT's and others.

Question for the 325: Are you intereated in a model showing the 325 (currently under construction) with an LCT on deck and a plane hanging on the Brodie system? Possible donation or an item for the ships store? The ship would be 24 1/2" long at a scale of 1:160 or the same as an N Scale train.

Jim Craven
Like for you to display your models. I always enjoy someone using there hands. I think they will be very enjoyable. Also would like to meet you in person some time. I have messed with models myself, now I have the real thing. The good old girl LST 325

May 1st, 2011, 1:40 pm #4

Jim Craven
You may want to consider if it would have been practical to ever carry an LCT while equipped with Brodie Device. My guess is the deck space would be needed to store Grasshopper airplanes. Somewhere I got the impression the ship might carry three planes.

May 1st, 2011, 2:25 pm #5

Jim Craven
Some of us also build ships and planes.
I am currently working on a 1/100 scale LST 1179 class from Bad Ship Models.
Mine will be RC.
(mine is also junior craftsman workmanship)
It is a learning process.

I am looking forward to meeting you.
Do you live anywhere near the Evansville Area?

Although with an SCET and a QMC on the bridge Chris and I can't hide out and slylark topside anymore.

May 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm #6

And I think I can speak for the whole crew by saying we'd love to have your model with an LCT and Brodie for display in the arrival area. BTW, Jim, where do you hail from?
Well with 19 at sea and so much salt water spray being forced upon me....

I reside in Avondale, Arizona a surburb West of Phoenix.

Jim

May 1st, 2011, 3:01 pm #7

Like for you to display your models. I always enjoy someone using there hands. I think they will be very enjoyable. Also would like to meet you in person some time. I have messed with models myself, now I have the real thing. The good old girl LST 325
Jerry - I am a shipfitters nightmare. I'll (or I use to)take a Bridge and Chart Room and make it functional... even in heavy weather. I've had more then my share of typhoons try to get the best of me.... I'm still here.

If we all come to agreement we'll see what can be arranged.

JIM

May 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm #8

You may want to consider if it would have been practical to ever carry an LCT while equipped with Brodie Device. My guess is the deck space would be needed to store Grasshopper airplanes. Somewhere I got the impression the ship might carry three planes.

The few LST's with flight decks (12' x 196') carried six to eight aircraft.... From the information I have seen. The T's (also few in number) with the Brodie system could easily carry three or more aircraft. It one was shot down/crashed/or was lost it would be an easy thing to fly another one out to her... if you could find a pilot crazy enough to do it! The L series of Grasshopper aircraft were only 22 feet long and had a wingspan of 35 feet when assembled. Empty weight of this airframe was only 750 pounds... I do not think it would take many sailors (yes... even "Deck Apes") to assemble one and work out how to get it up to the launch position. Remember some T's had crawler craines....

JIM

May 1st, 2011, 3:25 pm #9

Some of us also build ships and planes.
I am currently working on a 1/100 scale LST 1179 class from Bad Ship Models.
Mine will be RC.
(mine is also junior craftsman workmanship)
It is a learning process.

I am looking forward to meeting you.
Do you live anywhere near the Evansville Area?

Although with an SCET and a QMC on the bridge Chris and I can't hide out and slylark topside anymore.

I was aboard the 1185. We took the island of San Clamente under fire.... we missed on the first shot...
could not even see where it landed. We were only about 5000 yards off of the target and beach. Shot again after I confirmed Gun Target Line... Missed...

Our (ships company) FTG had screwed things up with the director system... we went home (San Diego) in disgrace since we were unable to hit a target (A white painted 2 1/2 ton truck) or an island that was 3 miles wide and some 15 miles long....

The FT really did not ever get any slack after that.

Hopefully you were better at your job.

As to building an 1179 class LST - It is in my plans to try. I just have to get a set of drawings and general plans to make one to the scales (1:87/1:160/1:192) I work in. I try to always work from official drwings for my ships. Were you on any of the 1179's? I was on the 1185, 1183 and 1187 plus my first ... LST 1157.

Send an email address and I will send a photo of my "D-Day Flotilla". working on these to take to the LST Association Reunion in Branson. While there I will run over to the 325 for a day or at least four hours.

Smile and have a great day and stay dry.

JIM

May 1st, 2011, 5:08 pm #10

I was on the LST 1180 USS Manitowoc.
We did a lot better.
We destroyed land target and counterbattery.
Air qualifications was another story.

ftg2pointer@gmail.com