Military Chow

Military Chow

July 29th, 2012, 11:51 pm #1

29 JUL 12 / 1829hrs
Talking about military C and K ration and later MRE'S got to thinking about military chow. I spent 4 years in the Airforce 1960-1964 then went to the Army. I recall the best chow I ever ate in the military was at Memphis Naval Air Station Millington TN. We just did a TDY at duty at Tendall AFB and flying back to our base at Grand Forks ND in a D-3. We had to stop at the Navy Air Station for fuel, they treated us great took to the mess hall and had a meal fit for a king. No where in the Army for 23 years did I get a mess hall meal like the Navy provided us that day. I can say the same for our LST-325 gally cooks, they do an out standing job, great food and great friends. Just don't ever give me a plate of green eggs and chop ham. SARGE

August 2nd, 2012, 1:34 pm #2

Oh Sarge, why did you have to bring up those green eggs? In the 1960's when I was in Viet Nam we had those "Atomic Eggs", the ones that came powdered out of a box. I had been trying for years to forget those things! OF course my personal favorite was the cereal we got. You would pour in your powdered milk or whatever that white liquid stuff was that came out of that big aluminum container, and then spend a minute or two fishing out the roaches to get all those moving black things out of your corn flakes before you could "enjoy" them. Sometimes when we were cut off from the outside we would have to dig in to those "boxed lunches" we had. Canned mystery meat (with jellied juices), cookies in a can and that little pack of smokes. Oh, those were the days! The new MRE's would have seemed like a feast back then.

The Navy seems to know how to feed the troops, for sure. I don' know about the Marines, never ate any of their chow. I do know that on the 325 we are very well fed thanks to our excellent culinary staff. (Cooks to your swabbies)

August 2nd, 2012, 7:24 pm #3

While in vegas PR working with the Marines as a navy beachmaster, I got the joy of working mess duty in a marine mess hall. Not pating myself on the back but the food was as good as any I ever had in of the navy shore stations or shipboard. The food was GREAT !!