Memorandum of Policy - Volunteer Hours

Memorandum of Policy - Volunteer Hours

June 8th, 2012, 4:43 pm #1

There has been some discussion and confusion regarding the reporting of volunteer hours. Effective immediately we will go back to the original rules from Mobile and Evansville and volunteers hours will be reported and counted as follows:

-All hours will be recording in the log located in the Gift Shop.

-Volunteers are responsible for entering their own hours.

-All time in Evansville will be reported as hours worked.
(Ex: If you work from 08:00 to 12:00 that would be recorded as 4 hours; if you work from 08:00 to 16:00 that would be recorded as 8 hours.)

-All time while on a cruise will credited at 24 hours a day.
(This starts the day the ship gets underway and ends the day it is tied up again in Evansville.)

-Travel time will not be counted as volunteer hours.

Ken Frank
President, USS LST Ship Memorial, Inc.

June 9th, 2012, 1:42 am #2

what if you are hauling some down for the ship or you do work outside the ship its self??

June 9th, 2012, 11:11 pm #3

We do allow work at home on a project to count as volunteer hours. For example one volunteer is working on the DUKW off site. All those hours count.
We have not discussed hauling something for the Memorial.
If the Board approves hauling something we can see about counting those hours too.
We are trying to be consistent and fair and reasonable.
It was an inquiry from the engineers that prompted us to revise the policy.

June 10th, 2012, 7:03 am #4

It is mostly engineers that are hauling very important items back and forth from the ship, not just paint brushes like the deck force.

June 10th, 2012, 3:38 pm #5

There has been some discussion and confusion regarding the reporting of volunteer hours. Effective immediately we will go back to the original rules from Mobile and Evansville and volunteers hours will be reported and counted as follows:

(Ex: If you work from 08:00 to 12:00 that would be recorded as 4 hours; if you work from 08:00 to 16:00 that would be recorded as 8 hours.)

(This starts the day the ship gets underway and ends the day it is tied up again in Evansville.)

Ken Frank
I ventured over to the "Volunteer Crew" page and don't see any hours posted beside anyone's name. I agree all of these volunteers have been a valuable part of the LST Memorial and should be acknowledged for it. However, it appears to me that separating these volunteers by the number of hours they have performed work for or on the ship creates an atmosphere that is not helpful for the volunteers or the Memorial itself. If you had a listing of those who have contributed money for the Memorial would you also separate them by the amount they gave? Think about that. Would that not discourage people from sending in small donations if they knew their donation would be compared to those who could afford to send a lot more? Volunteers for the most part give of their time as best they can with what they have, just as those who donate money. They certainly want and need to know they are appreciated, but having more hours at work doesn't matter when the other guy with less hours is on the other end of a heavy load you're trying to move.

June 10th, 2012, 9:09 pm #6

It is mostly engineers that are hauling very important items back and forth from the ship, not just paint brushes like the deck force.
We will have to decide what is important and necessary. Generally working off the ship will not count towards the first 80 hours. The reason for 80 hours is to quallify for the cruise and to find out if you 1. WORK, 2. Get along with other volunteers, 3. Are physically fit -- can get off the ship and save yourself. You will not Block others from escaping in an emergency. 4. Can take direction from ship's officers. 4. Have an up beat dispostion and love the LST 325. We would like to know this about crew members before we get out in the river and the crew depends on you standing your watch and doing your assigned jobs. Since we are all volunteers, we have little control over anyone, except we do not have to let you come back or be on a cruise -- that is if the crew does not put you off on an island somewhere first! I might add that this policy has worked well. It has not been 100%. If you think you have a better plan by all means lets hear it. Capt.

June 11th, 2012, 2:15 am #7

I asked a simple question on behalf of everyone for clarification. Everything was fine with the reply until it was stated engineers had caused the reason for a revision. That mades it sound like people would blame the engineers or snipes if they didn't like it. That is why I said what I said. PS I always did like Gilligan's island

June 11th, 2012, 3:42 am #8

We will have to decide what is important and necessary. Generally working off the ship will not count towards the first 80 hours. The reason for 80 hours is to quallify for the cruise and to find out if you 1. WORK, 2. Get along with other volunteers, 3. Are physically fit -- can get off the ship and save yourself. You will not Block others from escaping in an emergency. 4. Can take direction from ship's officers. 4. Have an up beat dispostion and love the LST 325. We would like to know this about crew members before we get out in the river and the crew depends on you standing your watch and doing your assigned jobs. Since we are all volunteers, we have little control over anyone, except we do not have to let you come back or be on a cruise -- that is if the crew does not put you off on an island somewhere first! I might add that this policy has worked well. It has not been 100%. If you think you have a better plan by all means lets hear it. Capt.
Very well put! I have enjoyed my association with the LST and members for the very reasons you listed. I am always excited about getting together with them, wheither it is work week or a cruise. The guys (and gals) always make me feel welcomed and needed. I have only met one or two who were not top notch, and those type seem to weed themselves out. Hope you all feel the same about me.

June 11th, 2012, 8:02 pm #9

Ken Frank
First, I do volunteer work at two parks and a museum besides working on the ship. In all cases I sign in when I get there and sign out when I leave. I get credit for the hours I worked. If there is a special project I work on away from the organization I work with the supervisor or person in charge of the area and they make sure I get credit for those hours. At the park and museum they use a computer program and it tracks what you were working on by area or project. On the ship we are not that "fancy" or detailed and I don't know that we need to be.

As the Captain pointed out the 80 hours required for going on a cruise are very important. New crew members need to learn a lot before taking on the responsibility of being on a cruse. Personally I agree with the "actual hours worked" when not on a cruise. In Engineering it takes some time to learn what needs done and how to do it. ( I am sure the same is true for the deck force). It takes time for us to know what the new crew member can do and how well they can work. Having them only spend a bit over three or four days at a work week was really not nearly enough for us, or the new member, to get acquainted. With the new (actually old) method of counting hours new volunteers need to spend at least ten days of full time work to qualify. This is both fair and reasonable for both sides. It gives the new crew member time to learn more about what we do, how we do it, and get to know the existing crew better.

While it sounds cool to just show up for a few days and then be able to "crew" the ship we all should be honest and recognize that on a cruise we need well qualified hands. This is especially true in Engineering where we have our moments when things go wrong and we have to be able to fix it NOW. Also, I think a new crew member will appreciate the fact that they "earn" the right to go on a cruise. Requiring commitment from them better represents the seriousness of what it takes to actually crew a running ship, especially a "senior" ship like ours. Not only that, it makes it more an honor and an achievement when you have to make a personal investment of your time and energy to earn a spot. An individual who just wants to pay $25 and think they can ride around on the ship clearly isn't being very realistic as to what it takes to keep our gal running.

So I welcome the new policy and feel its a positive step in the right direction. As for counting other hours for special projects it shouldn't be a difficult matter to work out anything that needs done to facilitate that.

While it is human nature to resist or question change I find a positive approach to change helps. Every situation has a solution if we all work together. I think everyone on the ship wants to be fair and will be when given a chance.

June 11th, 2012, 11:37 pm #10

John what the Capt said about the 80 hours and the requirements have been in standing for years. I TOTALLY understand that and I support it completely.
All I asked was to get a understanding about the travel time, that would have benefited everyone.
Now it is getting out of hand and it needs to stop, All it was, was a simple question about travel time.
Oh John it is not a new policy, it has been there for a long time. That is how I got on, how you got on and every other person that got on including the ones who started with the Gold Crew.

Thank you for your service
Jerry