Maintenance Crew Photos

Maintenance Crew Photos

December 13th, 2006, 12:00 am #1

Don Hardesty took some photos of a few members of the LST's tremendous maintenance crew. Many more deserve their photo on here. We'll try to get them all sooner or later.

December 13th, 2006, 1:19 am #2

Great pictures, but how about some back story to go with the pictures. Esp. what appears to be a new watertight door off the tank deck. Some had talked at one time about adding doors from the tank deck to the gyro room and other areas that were only accesible from the ladder trunks.

The progress report was at one time heavy with detailed pictures of progress on the 325 itself.

We have seen a few over the months on the discussion page, but eventually these are lost. The Progress reports are saved and if you have the interest the progress on the ship is well documented all the way back to 2001.

It is a great history of our ship that we should continue to catalog.

I miss that, perhaps we could get that back. Excellent project for an interested person without welding or mechaical back ground. I speak from experience, ...

Some of us far away like to know the grimey details.

Michael
Last edited by MichaelBSmith on December 13th, 2006, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 13th, 2006, 3:29 am #3

Don Hardesty took some photos of a few members of the LST's tremendous maintenance crew. Many more deserve their photo on here. We'll try to get them all sooner or later.

I heartily agree with the ship's dentist (sorry Michael). Would love to see a regular update (monthly / bi-monthly) on the Progress Report page about the maintenance work being done (with these great pictures). If any of you folks ever get the chance, take a look back at those archived reports - it will amaze you at the massive amount of work that has been done on the old girl over the years. The reports of the work done is a testament to the dedication of all those folks.

December 13th, 2006, 12:29 pm #4

Michael and Ray:

If either of you are interested in the job of posting the maintenance photos and maintenance updates on a regular basis, email me. We have a way for you to do it, and you don't have to live in Evansville. This is a serious offer.

Thanks.

Mike

mike@mikewhicker.com

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on December 13th, 2006, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 13th, 2006, 1:10 pm #5

Isn't that the job that Shawn was put in charge of? (asking kindly). When Jim Anderson was Webskipper, he posted everything on the Progress Report page, long before we had a Discussion and Chat page. Everyone sent reports directly to him, and he posted them. Maybe if there was an orderly way of doing it like Jim had set up, it might be easier for Shawn. I totally appreciate the way everyone posts on the Discussion and Chat, but many people don't visit that site. The Progress report page is where most of the info needs to be directed not the Discussion and Chat. I feel that the Discussion and Chat page is for exactly what xdoris doesn't think it's for. (kindly stated)

Ann

December 13th, 2006, 2:21 pm #6

I usually have my camera and am at the ship most days. I'll be glad to take more photos and send them to whoever would like to do the posting. Just don't ask me to photograph your babies and grandchildren........

December 13th, 2006, 3:18 pm #7

Ray and Michael, along with many of us, cannot be at the ship on a daily basis. While we volunteer as we can (many take vacation days to come spend time volunteering or crewing on the ship), we don't know what is being done on board in the way of maintenance. Some of the fellows could manage to work in a long weekend if they knew what was in the planning stages.

I'll make a deal with all of you... I don't have alot of time to spare (some weeks are better than others) as many of you don't, but Don, if you'll spend a half hour each week - taking a couple of photos of something your great maintenance crew is working on or planning (you might have to include where and what in a couple of words), I'll try to format it so that Shawn can post it on the Progress Report easily. Email the photos to me and I'll put some text with it. That way you can keep everyone in the loop as to what is going on, those of us who live away can see and feel a part of what is happening, and it hopefully won't be an added burden to Shawn or anyone else. It may even garner some additional bodies to do the labor!

I think those of us who live away don't mind what the photos are of, as long as we can see and feel a part of things. It can be the current painting and chipping project, someone sweeping down the decks, overhauling a mechanical part or taking care of the signal flags. It could be the gals restocking/cleaning shelves in the Ship's Store, a tour group you have had on board, the deck crew (sorry, I won't call you apes...smile) maintaining the lines...

This is something I can do even living away from the area... and I think it will benefit everyone who cares about the ship, regardless of where we live. The ship belongs to all of us.. veterans or not, young or old... we all love her and what she represents - a bunch of great people who weren't hesitant to fight for their country and for us. We have a wonderful legacy to carry forward and we want to do that - together.

I'll email you Don...