Main Deck

Main Deck

July 23rd, 2005, 2:41 pm #1

July 25th, 2005, 12:31 pm #2

picture of the main deck and the Smithsonian posting. What a great website.
I keep learning more and more about hte LSTs not only through the chatter but also through the different websites I have found. Like I did not know there were four different classes of LSTs built in WWII and that they were built in so many different places.
Thanks to everyone for all the information.

July 27th, 2005, 1:58 am #3

two and a half years since I started my LST 'voyage'...and there are so many things that I don't know. I keep studying...

When you come across interesting things, share them here.. even if the "Gators" know all about it, sometimes it prompts a memory or they will share a remembrance that helps bring that 'something' into focus for us.

I've asked some pretty hilarious questions, yet no one has ever ridiculed me... Laughed WITH me, definitely... and that's fun too!

I'm speaking out of turn probably, but we're all glad you and Jo have joined in the discussion and are willing to share! Looking forward to meeting you both in Evansville!

July 27th, 2005, 2:43 am #4

We've met a lot of the guys a few times but I'm bad on names. We were in Jeffersonville & Evansville. Seabat, you're doing a great job learning everything! I'm into all the "internal" workings but love the ship & really enjoy all the guys & their stories. We've been hearing about the ship since they 1st started talking about getting a ship & making a museum. Hmmm, what's that been, 15 years now? There were so many disappointments along the way. We have a ship, nope, now we have one, nope. It was so exciting to finally know she was really on her way. (Kind of like expectant parents!) I was so disappointed when they encountered delays & I couldn't meet it in Boston or Mobile but settled to being glued right here so I could read every tidbit anyone had on the journey. The people here were so good about sharing any news they had. Then I got away from it until the Boston trip. I'll probably be in Evansville quite a bit so look forward to meeting everyone. You (Seabat) sound like you might be fairly close too, so hope to meet up with you!