LST # search

May 21st, 2017, 6:34 pm #1

My father-in-law (now deceased) was a crewman on an LST headed for the mainland invasion of Japan, when the bomb was dropped and the war ended. He took part in the occupation regardless. My question is how can I find the LST# ship that he was assigned to ? Any way possible with his name alone (Wallace Donald White) He told me years ago, and I found a picture of his ship on the internet, but gave it to him, and forgot the #.

May 26th, 2017, 5:16 am #2

https://www.archives.gov/veterans is a link to receive your father in laws records. It is an easy form to fill complete. You'll need his full name, date of birth, his place of birth, his service number... any information you have. If you don't have the things I mentioned, fill out as much as you can. When requesting his records, please ask for his military and health information.

Do you remember anything about his service time? One ship or a few? Where he served (other than the Pacific), what he did? Those things would be very helpful too.

Did he belong to a VFW or American Legion? They could still have records that give you a Ship Number or Name.

Please let us know how it goes! I would love to help, but in asking for his military records this first step is up to you as I am not a relative.

May 29th, 2017, 4:18 pm #3

My father-in-law (now deceased) was a crewman on an LST headed for the mainland invasion of Japan, when the bomb was dropped and the war ended. He took part in the occupation regardless. My question is how can I find the LST# ship that he was assigned to ? Any way possible with his name alone (Wallace Donald White) He told me years ago, and I found a picture of his ship on the internet, but gave it to him, and forgot the #.
NAVPERS-605A
(Revised October 1912)
page 3

(Stamped right, 26 November 1945)

MUSTER ROLL OF THE CREW
of the U.S.S. LST(H) 118
for the Quarter ending 1 October 1945

[Line 28] WHITE, Wallace Donald 613 93 72 S2c 5 July 1945

May 30th, 2017, 5:11 pm #4

Thanks so much for helping him. BRAVO ZULU!!!