LST expected to be placed on the Ind registry of Historic Places

LST expected to be placed on the Ind registry of Historic Places

January 28th, 2009, 7:01 pm #1

<a href="http://cootershistorything.blogspot.com ... -news.html" rel="nofollow"><span class="link">http://cootershistorything.blogspot.com ... -news.html>

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

LST in the News

The Jan. 27th Evansville (In) Courier Press reports that the LST-325 is expected to be placed on the Indiana registry of Historic Places, a first step on the road to inclusion on the National registry of Historic Places.

The LST, one of few remaining ships, is currently docked in Evansville after being on a temporary home at Mobile, Alabama. LST stands for Landing Ship, Tank. One of its main jobs was to land tanks, men, and vehicles directly onto an enemy beach.

They have a website: www.lstmemorial.com

During World War II, LSTs were made in Evansville on a 45-acre site along the Ohio River. At peak operation, the shipyard employed 19,000 and completed two ships a week. They were originally contracted for 24 ships, but ended up launching 167 LSTs and 24 other ships.

The LST-325 was not, unfortunately, launched from Evansville, but from Philadelphia. It participated in North Africa operations and Sicily. It was at Omaha Beach on D-Day and made more than 40 trips across the English Channel. After decommissioning in 1946, it served in the Greek Navy from 1964 to 1999.

The ship is 327 feet long and has a 50 foot beam.

I had the opportunity to talk with a man who had been on an LST in the Pacific during the war. His interview can be found on my </span></a>
Last edited by jo_wa on January 28th, 2009, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 28th, 2009, 9:12 pm #2

Actually, this article has it a bit wrong. There was to be a meeting in Indianapolis today (cancelled due to weather) - for final review and possible approval of our application to become a National Historic Landmark. If not approved for Landmark status - we will most likely be approved for National Historic Place instead. (There are different levels of historic designation. The normal process is to obtain 'place' status and then apply for 'landmark' status. It was felt the 325 should go ahead and apply directly for landmark status.) We have not applied for the Indiana Registry - as designation to the National Registry (as either a Historic Place or a Historic Landmark) makes that a very simple matter. Our grants writer - Steve Baeder - has worked for over a year on this status application (it is long and cumbersome). There is a great deal of confidence (by us and by Indiana officials) that we will be granted Landmark status and that this will qualify us to apply for some very substantial grant money. The meeting has not been rescheduled yet - but will probably be in another month.

January 29th, 2009, 12:49 am #3

The LST 325 is no doubt a historic ship. I understand from a local building (church) here that applied for historic status that there are many strings attached. Once you are approved, there are requirements that are laid upon you. Some of them most restrictive. Government money may be available, but no doubt it will have strings attached. Its great to have a historic status such as the LST 325 already has. Im sure being in the national registry would help in national advertising. I dont know if the stings attached to the possible money will be worth that. Of course this type of registry may be entirely different from the one I was exposed to.

January 29th, 2009, 4:40 am #4

Strings would be attached. I have seen other places placed on the registry and the plate was forbiden to make changes. Things that have already been done such as, changing the mast, interior stairways, adding added hatches and changing appearance of interior spaces might be questioned. Some places have turned down the status because they found that it would take months of bickering back and forth on every little that wanted to be done to improve the facitity. Think hard before making this move, it might not be worth of the hassle that will come with such status.