LST-479, info needed on cousin, Harry Ward, Jr.,

LST-479, info needed on cousin, Harry Ward, Jr.,

October 9th, 2016, 2:54 pm #1

My cousin, Harry Ward, Jr., died during a Kamikaze Attack onboard LST-479 in Mindoro Bay, Ph. on 12/21/44. My father grew up in the same house as Harry and spoke of him and his untimely death until his own dying day. I know he was KIA BNR, but does anyone know of a record of his death other than an inscription on a monument at a military graveyard in the Pacific?

Thanks, LJM

October 25th, 2016, 10:34 am #2

I believe you are seeking LST 749. Some how the 479 and 749 were confused in some WW 2 reports, possibly due to a transposition. The 479 did serve in the Philippines, but went on to finish the war during the Okinawa campaign. It was my dad's ship--I am writing a complete history on it and have found a number of erroneous reports of its sinking. The 479 ended its career in 1946 in a Bethlehem Steel scrap yard. Good luck in your research. One excellent tool is a website called Fold 3. It is part of Ancestry.Com and has logs, war diaries, muster reports and many other archived records of World War 2 ships.

October 25th, 2016, 12:30 pm #3

There were two Belleville, NJ boys on board. One was John Bruno and the other was Harry Ward, Jr. Harry was a sergeant with the army engineers. I am not sure if John was in the navy or the army. John witnessed the Kamikaze attack and reported the direct hit on Harry. Johnny later married into the family. If any of your research unearths these two names, I would be greatly appreciative. LJM

June 28th, 2017, 5:01 pm #4

My cousin, Harry Ward, Jr., died during a Kamikaze Attack onboard LST-479 in Mindoro Bay, Ph. on 12/21/44. My father grew up in the same house as Harry and spoke of him and his untimely death until his own dying day. I know he was KIA BNR, but does anyone know of a record of his death other than an inscription on a monument at a military graveyard in the Pacific?

Thanks, LJM
I also think you may be referring to USS LST-749 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-749) which was sunk on December 21, 1944 after suffering a direct hit from a KAMIKAZE attack in the Sulu Sea while heading to Mindoro, Philippines. My Grandfather Joseph G. Wilburn was onboard LST-749 at the time of the attack and I have done some research on the ship (I wrote the Wikipedia article linked above). There is a list of some of the casualties from the attack on http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?1407 ... chart%3dno although you may need to be a member to see them. I do not see a Harry Ward Jr. listed there but I would be happy to add him for you. Have you considered obtaining a copy of his service records? I was able to get my Grandfathers records and this has helped me greatly in my research. It was much less of a hassle than I thought it would be. I will also keep an eye out for Harry in my research and report back here if I find anything. Thank you for contributing!