LST-393 D-day Mission

June 6th, 2017, 5:21 pm #1

6 JUN 17 / 1205 Hrs
Just return from Muskegon, MI to take part in their D-day reenactment mission. As this LST is not operational like the LST-325, they con only do reenactment from the main deck. What they do is have a local T-6 flying group make low past by the starboard side deck and reenacator fire at them from the main deck. Had a good time with the folks up there, told them about the LST-325 and its mission. Patrick Shubel wanted photos LST-393 of port side head, to help with LST-325 port side Head restoration. Those photos are in the mail to him to day. Not one Head on the LST-393 is operational,nothing hooked up. Not long till our LST-325 D-day reenactment mission this month. Take care. SARGE

June 7th, 2017, 7:05 am #2

You better get back to Evansville and Start preparing for June 24th when you and your Axis buddies get your butts kicked again . I'm sorry, we're getting a little cocky now that we've won three years in a row. Because I like you, I'll leak one part of our battle plan. We will be hitting you between 1700-1800 while the sun is in your face. Three hundred sixty-four days of the year, we are buddies. On that Saturday, you're nothing but a target . I'm sorry, been hanging around Seabat too long .

June 10th, 2017, 4:32 am #3

You must have given yourself a big promotion, Mister Donahue! Last I remember, you were just a Gator Gal Target... Hmmmm.

Sarge, don't blame me... I was not guilty of this. Go get him for the Gator Gals!

June 10th, 2017, 3:26 pm #4

10 JUN 17/ 1015 Hrs
SeaBat : Had a great time at Muskegon, MI LST-393. Did a lot of photo ops with the local folks their. Also promoted the LST-325 with them, told them if they want to see a original operational WW II LST, go see the lST-325 in Evansville. A good number stated they were heading south on vacation and would visit the LST-325. Promote the LST-325, Getter Done. SARGE

June 12th, 2017, 11:37 pm #5

We always try to promote LST 325 in any way we can. At our last Ohio LST meeting on June 6th, Irwin did a great job of sharing her with those present.

The 393 is a good learning tool, but to me, there is nothing like the 325. The only operational LST there is!

Thinking maybe I can come over for the Shriner's Fest. Trying to work out the details!

June 13th, 2017, 5:42 am #6

6 JUN 17 / 1205 Hrs
Just return from Muskegon, MI to take part in their D-day reenactment mission. As this LST is not operational like the LST-325, they con only do reenactment from the main deck. What they do is have a local T-6 flying group make low past by the starboard side deck and reenacator fire at them from the main deck. Had a good time with the folks up there, told them about the LST-325 and its mission. Patrick Shubel wanted photos LST-393 of port side head, to help with LST-325 port side Head restoration. Those photos are in the mail to him to day. Not one Head on the LST-393 is operational,nothing hooked up. Not long till our LST-325 D-day reenactment mission this month. Take care. SARGE
I spent some time up with the 393 a year or so ago. I went through their ship and took a lot of detailed pictures of many areas including the heads. I use those photos to help envision what we should work towards. The most original head we have on the 325 is the Port midship head. Of course even it has had modifications done to it, some by the Greeks to make it more "European".

The 393 was built as an LST. She was bought not long after the war and moved to fresh water which saved her from a lot of deterioration. But that poor old gal hasn't run in 40 years. They say they could make her run again but I would bet next months pay that won't happen. She has been changed a lot in her own way. The bow doors and ramps don't work. The interior has been modified, especially the tank deck. The weather deck was changed a lot and much of the original machinery is gone and can't be replaced.

The folks up there are doing a great job at running a museum and the ship looks good, for what it is. I give them all the credit in the world for what they have done with that ship. But its not the 325. We just ran our engines Saturday for a test. We are ready to sail here in not too many days. They are tied up to the beach where they are staying.

They should come visit the 325. Let them get a big whiff of what fresh diesel fuel smells like. Maybe they can come one day when we fire up all the engines and hear what a living LST sounds like.

June 15th, 2017, 5:23 am #7

We always try to promote LST 325 in any way we can. At our last Ohio LST meeting on June 6th, Irwin did a great job of sharing her with those present.

The 393 is a good learning tool, but to me, there is nothing like the 325. The only operational LST there is!

Thinking maybe I can come over for the Shriner's Fest. Trying to work out the details!
Now I'll be having nightmares

June 18th, 2017, 4:51 am #8

I spent some time up with the 393 a year or so ago. I went through their ship and took a lot of detailed pictures of many areas including the heads. I use those photos to help envision what we should work towards. The most original head we have on the 325 is the Port midship head. Of course even it has had modifications done to it, some by the Greeks to make it more "European".

The 393 was built as an LST. She was bought not long after the war and moved to fresh water which saved her from a lot of deterioration. But that poor old gal hasn't run in 40 years. They say they could make her run again but I would bet next months pay that won't happen. She has been changed a lot in her own way. The bow doors and ramps don't work. The interior has been modified, especially the tank deck. The weather deck was changed a lot and much of the original machinery is gone and can't be replaced.

The folks up there are doing a great job at running a museum and the ship looks good, for what it is. I give them all the credit in the world for what they have done with that ship. But its not the 325. We just ran our engines Saturday for a test. We are ready to sail here in not too many days. They are tied up to the beach where they are staying.

They should come visit the 325. Let them get a big whiff of what fresh diesel fuel smells like. Maybe they can come one day when we fire up all the engines and hear what a living LST sounds like.
There's nothing like an operational LST if you want to really teach people. The 393 is given credit for allowing those to learn that can't get to LST 325, but it's just not the same.

June 18th, 2017, 4:53 am #9

Now I'll be having nightmares
See what happens when you stir the pot?

August 2nd, 2017, 7:24 pm #10

There's nothing like an operational LST if you want to really teach people. The 393 is given credit for allowing those to learn that can't get to LST 325, but it's just not the same.
it's a shame that they can't be together at some time side by side.. :-}