LST 325 Log Book

LST 325 Log Book

May 19th, 2012, 10:19 am #1

I would like to see the log book and other LST 325 records concerning her June 1944 landings in Normandy. Where may these be found? Thanks, Jim

May 22nd, 2012, 6:37 pm #2

You can order copies of the ship's log from the National Archives. Their contact information is:

Archives II Reference Section
Textual Archives Services Division
8601 Adelphi Rd
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Telephone 301-837-3510
Email: Archives2reference@nara.gov

If you know which months log you need, please include that in your request along with the name of the vessel.

is there some specific information you are looking for? I may be able to help you.

May 22nd, 2012, 6:37 pm #3

I would like to see the log book and other LST 325 records concerning her June 1944 landings in Normandy. Where may these be found? Thanks, Jim
You can order copies of the ship's log from the National Archives. Their contact information is:

8601 Adelphi Rd
Telephone 301-837-3510

If you know which months log you need, please include that in your request along with the name of the vessel.

is there some specific information you are looking for? I may be able to help you.

May 23rd, 2012, 2:08 pm #4

8601 Adelphi Rd
Telephone 301-837-3510

I appreciate your response. LST 325 will visit Nashville Sept. 17-26, 2012. In planning for this event several enthusiastic reenactors and others who plan to attend have asked me which units LST 325 carried to the Normandy beaches of Omaha, Utah, Gold and Juno during June 1944. Visitors and reenactors have shown considerable interest in the upcoming visit and wish to research details in more depth than found on the LST 325 website. Thanks, Jim

May 23rd, 2012, 2:49 pm #5

Jim,

LST-325 carried the following units during June 1944. All this was taken from the ship's decklog:

These dates are departure dates. The troops the 325 carried on the first mission were offloaded to LCTs and LCMs and brought ashore at Omaha on D+1.

June 5th: Falmouth to Fox Red Sector, Omaha Beach
30th Chemical Decontamination Company, 5th Engineer Special Brigade. There are pictures of these troops on board. They wore the helmets painted with the ESB "rainbow" and the amphib forces insignia, plus they wore jump boots. There were also a detachment from the 1006th Navy Seabees.

June 11th: Portland-Weymouth to Sugar Red sector, Utah Beach.
980th Field Artillery. This was the first time they actually beached during Overlord. This is when what are probably the most reproduced photos of the 325 were taken. Quite often they are misidentified as being taken at Omaha Beach.

June 13: Southampton to Sugar Red, Utah Beach. US Army troops, no unit given.

June 19: Portsmouth to Juno Beach. 7th Royal Tank Regiment.

June 25: Southampton to Utah Beach. 441st Quartermaster Truck Company.

June 29: Southampton to Juno Beach. Royal Army Medical Corps.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact me directly: david.bronson.mi(at)gmail.com.

Would love to see your pictures after the event!

Dave

May 23rd, 2012, 9:07 pm #6

Thanks Dave, for providing the information I needed to make a rather personal connection between LST 325 and the armored unit battles around Caen during the Normandy campaign. The LST 325 deck log revealed that on June 19, 1944 the 7th Bn. Royal Tank Regiment landed at Juno Beach. This unit was soon involved in Operation Epsom and Jupiter fighting for the control of Caen against fierce German resistance. The uncle I am named for was in the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry Cavalry and was killed near Caen while advancing across a wheat field toward German 88mm guns. I've met several men he served with, and one saw his tank as it was hit. I'm sure my further research will show more details of these large tank battles of 68 years ago. With the passage of years, and also recalling my own armored unit combat experience, I have an inceasing appreciation for the people and equipment involved. When LST 325 arrives in Nashville this September I'm sure that she, the crew, the reenactors and the visitors will help me expand this appreciation.

May 23rd, 2012, 9:45 pm #7

One more detail that might be useful to you. The officer in command of the detachment of the 7th Royal Tank Regiment that the 325 carried was Major M. R. Wellby.

May 25th, 2012, 7:42 pm #8

Thanks Dave, for providing the information I needed to make a rather personal connection between LST 325 and the armored unit battles around Caen during the Normandy campaign. The LST 325 deck log revealed that on June 19, 1944 the 7th Bn. Royal Tank Regiment landed at Juno Beach. This unit was soon involved in Operation Epsom and Jupiter fighting for the control of Caen against fierce German resistance. The uncle I am named for was in the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry Cavalry and was killed near Caen while advancing across a wheat field toward German 88mm guns. I've met several men he served with, and one saw his tank as it was hit. I'm sure my further research will show more details of these large tank battles of 68 years ago. With the passage of years, and also recalling my own armored unit combat experience, I have an inceasing appreciation for the people and equipment involved. When LST 325 arrives in Nashville this September I'm sure that she, the crew, the reenactors and the visitors will help me expand this appreciation.
Found this podcast on www.tankmuseum.org of an interview with a veteran of the 40th Royal Tank Regiment, Paul Rollins. He speaks briefly of the American LSTs that took them to Salerno. Who knows, maybe he was one of the men aboard 325.

http://www.tankmuseum.org/Veteran_Podcasts

Scroll down almost to the end of the page for his two-part story.