Looking for a P-47

Looking for a P-47

August 14th, 2005, 3:34 pm #1

I saw all the interesting posts about P-47 Thunderbolts or "Jugs" as they were affectionately called by many pilots. Republic Aviation made many P-47s in Evansville during WW II and we are looking to acquire one of these planes for the Home-Front Museum that will part of the LST 325 attraction here in Evansville.

We want a plane that is in good shape, but flyable is not a requirement.

We have several leads we are following up on, but we are always looking for new input and suggestions of where to look, or whom to contact, concerning securing one of these aircraft for display. We receive many suggestions about contacting this group or that group and we have people who make those contacts -- we have that angle well covered. But if there is someone out there with detailed, specific knowledge of the location of a P-47 that we might display in Evansville either on a permanent or rotating basis please email me and we will follow up on the information. Thanks.

Mike Whicker
mike@mikewhicker.com

August 15th, 2005, 4:14 am #2

Why don't you have a P-47 fly in and air show?
However, regarding getting a P-47, I would think that anyone that had a P-47 that looked good enough to put on display, had one that was good enough to make air worthy for flying. Have you given any thought to having a fiberglass mockup made. It likely would be cheaper than fixing up the appearance of anything good enough for display, and wouldn't require as much upkeep, and wouldn't likely be the target of midnight parts acquirers. I mean if they can make fiberglass cows, pigs, sock monkeys, and who knows what; doing a really good job on a plane shouldn't be impossible. Once they make the mold you could have a whole squadron of planes to do nose art on and line them up along the main highway by the airport and the old plant. I could figure out a hundred ways to show them all over town. Right next to all the large scale model LST-325s. Just think of all the artwork paint jobs they could have. From camouflage to racing stripes.

August 15th, 2005, 6:48 am #3

Tarheel Hal (P-47) was flying at our airshow a year ago. The P-51 was here this summer along with the Blue Angels as well as those F-16 guys from Viper West. Mark your calendar for the last weekend in June next year. Airshow/hydroplane races etc., right here in river city.

There has already been talk of parking the 325 in the middle of the hydroplane race course but visibility/safety issues for the boats may prevent that.

Hey, if Capt Jornlin isn't in town that weekend, we're entertaining the idea of a Harrier Jumpjet using the 325 as an aircraft carrier. What do you think? Keep this under your hat.

August 15th, 2005, 11:22 am #4

Corpsman and Chris:

You guys are going to make it hard on me. Soon I'll be reading letters-to-the-editor in the local papers wondering why we want to paint pin-strips on the 325 or park it in the middle of the river during the boat race. Or that we're going to land a jet on the ship when the captain isn't looking (I have to admit I got a chuckle out of that one). Then I'll have to go on TV and send emails to calm everyone down, deja vu the "taking the ship out of the water and moving it downtown" rumor that made the rounds last winter, or in response to the Evansville guy who placed posts on this forum claiming that Marina Pointe stunk and that there were no paved roads to the place.

EVERYONE, CORPSMAN AND CHRIS ARE JUST KIDDING !!!

Corpsman, concerning your serious suggestion about a mock up, yes, that is an option we have checked into.

August 15th, 2005, 7:26 pm #5

(Sorry Mike, just wanted to see if you're alive.) I wasn't like this till I started hanging around those Gators. I'll bet it gets worse when I meet them in person this Fall.

August 15th, 2005, 10:23 pm #6

Corpsman and Chris:

You guys are going to make it hard on me. Soon I'll be reading letters-to-the-editor in the local papers wondering why we want to paint pin-strips on the 325 or park it in the middle of the river during the boat race. Or that we're going to land a jet on the ship when the captain isn't looking (I have to admit I got a chuckle out of that one). Then I'll have to go on TV and send emails to calm everyone down, deja vu the "taking the ship out of the water and moving it downtown" rumor that made the rounds last winter, or in response to the Evansville guy who placed posts on this forum claiming that Marina Pointe stunk and that there were no paved roads to the place.

EVERYONE, CORPSMAN AND CHRIS ARE JUST KIDDING !!!

Corpsman, concerning your serious suggestion about a mock up, yes, that is an option we have checked into.
The fiberglass stuff is something that can be done. A one-tenth scale LST with twin diesel V8's and a modified hydroplane ocean racing hull painted with racing stripes is still an amphibious forces secret or entirely imaginary. Your choice!
I am having fun!
With some first hand experience of rocket launch blasts, I can tell you that a lot of heat comes off a Harrier, and if it lands on the LST, you won't need chipping hammers, because the paint will be burnt away. Or so it seems to me.
One thing to make sure you do is create a complete tourism package and train all the tourism people in the state, so they not only know that the LST 325 is in Evansville and how to get there, but that they are excited and knowledgeable. The first time the 325 was in Evansville I was educating the tourism girl at the state border tourism center on my way to the ship. About the ship!

August 18th, 2005, 8:48 pm #7

Tarheel Hal (P-47) was flying at our airshow a year ago. The P-51 was here this summer along with the Blue Angels as well as those F-16 guys from Viper West. Mark your calendar for the last weekend in June next year. Airshow/hydroplane races etc., right here in river city.

There has already been talk of parking the 325 in the middle of the hydroplane race course but visibility/safety issues for the boats may prevent that.

Hey, if Capt Jornlin isn't in town that weekend, we're entertaining the idea of a Harrier Jumpjet using the 325 as an aircraft carrier. What do you think? Keep this under your hat.
And the main deck is marked for helos. But who is going to paint the maindeck and the overhead of the tank deck after a Harrier Landing and Takeoff?

Flt-tech