Kinda brings a tear to your eye...

November 24th, 2009, 3:33 am #1

Petty Officers Andrew Boyles (Prescott AZ) and Phillip Evans
(Charlotte NC) hold photo of LST-325 at Normandy June 12, 1944
USS New York New York City November 9, 2009

Petty Officers Phillip Evans (Charlotte NC) and Andrew Boyles
(Prescott AZ) hold "Gator Navy" DVD
USS New York New York City November 9, 2009

Many thanks to Susan Bednarczyk for sharing the photos with us!

November 24th, 2009, 3:13 pm #2

It's wonderful to see the younger generation showing this nice recognition for the history of our "old" navy.

It is also great to see all those fresh young smiling faces here in the Progress Reports who are "learning the ropes & yardarms" in teamwork with "older vets" on the LST-325 volunteer crew.

That's the future of the ship and also the USN & a big SALUTE to all of you!

December 9th, 2009, 4:23 pm #3

Seeing the young men on the modern ship made me reflect on the time I was assigned to a new ship.
Everything was clean and fully operational. Everything was brand new and latest technology. We were the cutting edge.
My radar and gun control systems used vacuum tubes. The console of one of them stood about 6 foot tall, three feet wide and about 2 foot deep. It was crammed full of modern electronics. Not a transistor to be found. They were 95% hand wired. Printed cirucit boards were just coming into being.
We now look back and admire how the "old timers" ever survived using this ancient technology.
I wonder what these young men will see by the time they retire and their latest technology becomes "ancient". Tchnology beyond science fiction, probably.