Just sayin Thank you

Just sayin Thank you

June 6th, 2009, 11:32 am #1

My name is David Meeks,(for those that remember me I'm the young looking kid that wears his sunglasses on the back of his head). I am a pilot that recently got the very nice privilage of running the LST 325 when it made its Paducah voyage. I would just like to say thank you..to everyone involved with this very special ship.From the time I arrived to the time I departed the whole crew,from the captain to people that I wish I could remember their name was more than accomodating and nice. My grandfather brought these ships to my attention,but the men and women that brought her back from Greece made her a reality(and I said women that brought her back because anyone that has a wife that puts up with a man leaving in times of war and peace as I have done in the past is a woman to be thankful for and anyone that says different doest have to live with her). It was my honor to work with everyone and hopefully will get to do it again.To see such a large undertaking by this group and such devotion by the families and crew is at the least inspiring. Having worked on boats and ships most of my entire life..and that time being mute by the standards set by the crew of LST 325. "Considering some of the men I worked with has been retired as long as I have been working". I just wanted to say thanks to you all. I am proud to be able to say I am in the very least a small part of what I believe to be a great cause or should I say MISSION. "Thank you all and God Bless".

June 6th, 2009, 1:09 pm #2

I didn't get to meet you, but from the comments I've heard from the Officers and Crew, they really enjoyed crewing for you!

I know firsthand what you are saying when you say these men are special... they have so much to give and do so continually - teaching, sharing and being part of the LST Family. You are now part of that family... so don't be a stranger!

June 6th, 2009, 3:04 pm #3

My name is David Meeks,(for those that remember me I'm the young looking kid that wears his sunglasses on the back of his head). I am a pilot that recently got the very nice privilage of running the LST 325 when it made its Paducah voyage. I would just like to say thank you..to everyone involved with this very special ship.From the time I arrived to the time I departed the whole crew,from the captain to people that I wish I could remember their name was more than accomodating and nice. My grandfather brought these ships to my attention,but the men and women that brought her back from Greece made her a reality(and I said women that brought her back because anyone that has a wife that puts up with a man leaving in times of war and peace as I have done in the past is a woman to be thankful for and anyone that says different doest have to live with her). It was my honor to work with everyone and hopefully will get to do it again.To see such a large undertaking by this group and such devotion by the families and crew is at the least inspiring. Having worked on boats and ships most of my entire life..and that time being mute by the standards set by the crew of LST 325. "Considering some of the men I worked with has been retired as long as I have been working". I just wanted to say thanks to you all. I am proud to be able to say I am in the very least a small part of what I believe to be a great cause or should I say MISSION. "Thank you all and God Bless".
I was on the crew that sailed the LST back from Paducah. It was a pleasure meeting you and serving with you too.

I enjoyed all the stories you told us about the history of the Ohio River while we were up in the conn.

I hope you sail with us again.

June 6th, 2009, 11:45 pm #4

I had a great time and hope I can be of use again sometime..was wanting to go on the Louisville trip,but will miss this one due to my work schedule..looks like I will be around New Orleans area on a boat. Believe me when I tell you I would rather be there..lol

June 7th, 2009, 12:07 am #5

I didn't get to meet you, but from the comments I've heard from the Officers and Crew, they really enjoyed crewing for you!

I know firsthand what you are saying when you say these men are special... they have so much to give and do so continually - teaching, sharing and being part of the LST Family. You are now part of that family... so don't be a stranger!
I enjoyed all of it and the little time I could ride is nothing compared to these guys,but time allowing and work letting me go I will try to do my part to help when I can..the amount of vigor and excitement that the people show and the work that they put in to the ship is refreshing. It just reminds me how much the work force and standards have changed through the years. Sorta sad on my end considering most of the men on the ship put alot of the new recruits I work with now to shame,physically and mentally..lol. The people I meet at home and the people that I continue to share the videos and pictures with really get excited...when I got back home I had to have gravel brought in to finish the foundation on a garden building...the mans wife that was with him when they arrived in the dumptruck was wearing a LST 325 shirt talking about "did I see the ole ship that was in Paducah?" when I talked to her and showed her some of the pictures she was ecstatic. They said they went to see it 2 days in a row..lol.. It really is an honor to be part of such a historic venture. You guys and gals are the ones that should be grinning from ear to ear to know you did something that will be around for years even after alot of people said it couldnt be done.. When people see the ship they should look beyond it and see the stuborn men that refused to say no...from the 40's till now still ..thats along stubborn streak..lol..It is my honor and privilage to be part of it. My wife and I both plan on helping in the future. I look forward to being able to drive to Evansville and see her for years to come.

June 12th, 2009, 2:05 pm #6

you when you purchased some things at the gift shop on the ship. You were a pleasure to talk to and I look forward to seeing you on many of the next trips. We always need GOOD pilots.