Interview #13

Interview #13

March 24th, 2007, 2:54 pm #1

Name: Glenn Gregg

1. How did you become involved with LST 325? (When, where, how did you first hear about the ship that might become/was the LST Ship Memorial)

I got a call from Linda Alvers at 8 a.m. one day and she said "Can you be in Gibraltar tonight?" That night I showed up at the LST unannounced.

2. What is your background - do you have a connection to LSTs or the Navy? Are you a veteran or the relative of a veteran who served aboard or was transported by these ships? (If you are a veteran, please also give information as to when and where you served, the duty you had.)

I am an Air Force veteran.

3. Have you served as a maintenance worker? What duties have you participated in along this area?

4. Have you served as a crew member? If so, what have been your duty stations?

I worked on the trip over from Gibraltar in the engine room with Rocky and Mac

5. Have you spoken to others about the Ship Memorial? (One on one or to groups. What types of events?)

I shot the History Channel documentary 'Return of LST 325'

6. If you could make a specific point about LST 325 (the ship or the people), what would it be?

I have 29 older brothers I didn't have before....

7. What is your favorite memory/recollection of regarding LST 325?

Captain Jornlin explaining how he made the decision to allow me to sail with the ship. (ask Lois)

8. Do you have a personal goal regarding your involvement with the ship? (A specific project, a personal achievement, an overall goal you want to see attained)

Just seeing the guys again in September!

9. What is the favorite 'sea story' you have told regarding the LST 325?

Almost getting tossed in the sea while filming during a storm.

10. What has been your favorite project regarding LST 325?

Getting it across the Atlantic!

11. What does the ship mean to you personally? What does it represent?

What can be achieved with a dedicated crew!

Last edited by SeaBat on April 24th, 2007, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2007, 12:44 am #2

So he's going to try to make it in September? Had the pleasure of briefly meeting Linda last LST week. Would be nice to meet Glenn, too.

Yours truly,

PB

March 25th, 2007, 8:05 am #3

Looks like life is agreeing with you?

What's going on with Fred these days, haven't heard anything outta him. But then again he's introverted like myself.

March 25th, 2007, 2:23 pm #4

Name: Glenn Gregg

1. How did you become involved with LST 325? (When, where, how did you first hear about the ship that might become/was the LST Ship Memorial)

I got a call from Linda Alvers at 8 a.m. one day and she said "Can you be in Gibraltar tonight?" That night I showed up at the LST unannounced.

2. What is your background - do you have a connection to LSTs or the Navy? Are you a veteran or the relative of a veteran who served aboard or was transported by these ships? (If you are a veteran, please also give information as to when and where you served, the duty you had.)

I am an Air Force veteran.

3. Have you served as a maintenance worker? What duties have you participated in along this area?

I worked on the trip over from Gibraltar in the engine room with Rocky and Mac

5. Have you spoken to others about the Ship Memorial? (One on one or to groups. What types of events?)

I shot the History Channel documentary 'Return of LST 325'

6. If you could make a specific point about LST 325 (the ship or the people), what would it be?

I have 29 older brothers I didn't have before....

Captain Jornlin explaining how he made the decision to allow me to sail with the ship. (ask Lois)

8. Do you have a personal goal regarding your involvement with the ship? (A specific project, a personal achievement, an overall goal you want to see attained)

Just seeing the guys again in September!

Almost getting tossed in the sea while filming during a storm.

Getting it across the Atlantic!

What can be achieved with a dedicated crew!

Name: Mike Whicker
City/State: Evansville, IN
Hometown: Denver, Colorado

Sometime in late 2001 or early 2002 I saw The Return of LST 325 on the History Channel. At the end of the show, Captain Jornlin says that the goal of the crew is to keep the ship sailing and take her to places that made LSTs during the war. He named a few places. Although he did not name Evansville, I thought to myself: What better place to take the ship than to Evansville – we made more LSTs than anyone.I managed to get the Captain’s email address and I contacted him about bringing the ship to Evansville for a visit. It took a long time and a great deal of work by a lot of good people, but it happened.

I am an Air Force veteran, but my service was unspectacular. I first tried joining the Marines and was turned down because of an open heart surgery I had as small kid and a heart murmur. Then I went to the Army and was turned away for the same reason. Finally, I crept in under the radar with the Air Force and got accepted. I spent most of my hitch in schools (nuclear weapons) and never left the States. My father’s service as an Army Ranger in WW2, and my daughter who is currently on her second tour in Iraq, are the military heroes in my family.I do have a strong connection to LSTs. My mother was a welder at the Evansville LST Shipyard during the war, and my father was taken back to England to heal after he was wounded on Omaha Beach on D-Day. Six weeks later, another LST returned my father to France to rejoin his unit.

I did a great deal of painting, chipping, and needle-gunning on the ship during the 2005 East Coast Voyage, and a little painting since the ship arrived in Evansville. I do more sweeping now then painting.

Yes, one of my proudest achievements is spending a month as a crewmember during the East Coast Voyage. And it is certainly my greatest adventure. I had never been on a ship in the ocean before, far from land. My duties included deck ape and lee helmsman under Don Lockas.

I have no clue how many groups I have spoken to about the LST since 2001, but it has to be well over 200 – not sure. Numerous Kiwanis, Civitan, and Rotary groups along with veteran and church groups, libraries, schools at all levels, etc.

I like to talk about the heroic odyssey of the Gold Crew’s voyage from Greece, and the current people who are now caring for the ship in Evansville.

Grilling sausage burgers on the stern of LST 325 150 miles off the East Coast when an American attack sub surfaced behind us. I was the first one to see it. I ran to my bunk to get my camera and burned the burgers. Got a photo though!

Lots of goals over the long haul, but one will be building an entire WW2 themed complex at Marina Pointe with a WW2 restaurant and bar, a bed and breakfast, and a Home Front Museum Interpretive Center.

See number 7, or the day at sea when we came across a French air craft carrier. We established radio contact with them. Their operator was a female. She spoke English well, but with a strong accent. They could not figure out what we were so they actually scrambled two of their jets to fly over. Just about broke our eardrums. Some of the men ran out on the deck and were shaking their fists at the French jets. Don Lockas jumped in one of the gun tubs and pointed a 40mm at them.One more story that sticks is my helming the ship in the Potomac River ten minutes after someone decided I was to be trained as a lee helmsman. You might think they would have at least waited until we turned the corner out of Chesepeake Bay and entered the Atlantic where there was nothing to bump into. But no, here I am, a helmsman for ten minutes and I’m in control of an irreplaceable WW2 LST in the Potomac River with a bank on each side and small boats all around!

Bringing the ship to Evansville for the 10-day visit in 2003. Seeing 35,000 folks stand in long lines in the July heat to be able to walk the decks of an LST. If it wasn’t for that visit, the ship would not be in Evansville now.

To me, the LST represents America’s finest hour – WW2 – when the nation was one and united in a noble purpose. It represents the men and women of the Armed Services like my father, daughter, and all others who are the best of America. It represents the veterans, heroes every one, who have served their country in war or peace. And it represents all those who respect the flag, and who stand respectfully and say the Pledge of Allegiance sincerely, regardless of their service. These are the people of bright character.

March 25th, 2007, 3:42 pm #5

(Gary is the one on the left hand side of the sign)

(Gary on the far right)

Name: Gary Hendrickson
City/State: Portage Wisconsin
Hometown: Portage Wisconsin

I first heard about the ship when the Gold Crew brought it back from Greece in 2001 when it was on the news.
Don Lockas is a Gold Crew member and a neighbor of my daughter in Marseilles Illinois. In 2003 Don mentioned to her that the ship was looking for qualified help. I was in the Navy and have mechanical experience. Don got an application for me to apply for crew membership.

I am a US Navy veteran. I enlisted right out of High School July 1958-Aug 1961. I served 2 1/2 years on WW11 vintage Destroyers as a machinist mate in the Engineering Department, out of Long Beach California. We spent a lot of time at sea including a 6 month patrol from Long Beach to Pearl Habor, Midway Island, Japan, Philippines, Formosa, Hong Kong China.

As a machinist mate on Destroyers, I did a lot of mechanical work. Repairing steam lines and equipment like steam turbines. I spent 35 years as a maintenance mechanic in plastic factories. I did a lot of welding, pipe fitting, electrical and mechanical trouble shooting, repairing air compressors and vacuum pumps, etc.. I was a Supervisor for 7 years.

I was selected as a crew member January 2004. I made 9 trips from Wisconsin and spent many hours in Mobile Alabama helping to get the ship ready for the 2004 Boston trip, which was canceled. Since then I have spent many hours in Evansville after helping with the move from Mobile. I have done a lot of welding, pipe fitting and other mechanical work on the ship. I stand my watches in the engine room when the ship is underway.

I talk about the ship all the time. I always wear the ship hat and have had older veterans ask me about the ship. I had an interview with the local newspaper reporter just before the 2004 Boston Trip. He ran a front page article on the Ship and my involvement.

I have talked to a few of the other crew members and we pretty much have agreed that we liked working on the ship and being part of it. The best part was the camaraderie with the other crew members from all over the United States. Reminds me of when I was in the Navy years ago.

I have made several trips on the ship under her own power. I guess the best cruise was when we finally made it to Boston and other ports on the way in 2005.
It was great being out in the Ocean again and on board a vintage ship once again. The trip from mobile to Evansville on the river and the reception we got was also great.

I haven't really set a personal goal yet, I would like to just continue doing the work as I have been doing and see the ship farther on into its restoration.

I have had a few special experiences since I have been a crew member, including a couple of harmless pranks by "Jonathan", but the one that stands out was meeting Ed Brooks. Ed works for Warner Brothers as a stunt driver and supplies antique cars for scenes in movies. He was involved in the Flags of Our Father's movie.
As a crew member of the ship we were working together on the trip moving up to Evansville. The ship was stopped just before getting to Evansville, when Ed dropped his cell phone overboard, it landed on a barge next to the ship. I got the captain of the tug boat to help retrieve the cell phone. Ed also wrote a song dedicated to the LST 325, which he sang for us while paying his guitar, he was very good.

I'm not sure what you mean by favorite project, I have done a lot of work projects, welding - pipe fitting- and mechanic work. One important project that Kenny Adams, myself and other crew members accomplished was repairing the Port side Davit, so we could hoist the Higgens boat back on board before the Louisville trip last year.

This ship to me represents the old Navy, the way it was when I was in the service. The vintage WW11 equipment and the memories of being 18-19 years old again.

It is nice to be part of something like this again. I have always worked on similar equipment during my working life and have been retired since 2001. I missed working with people and the satisfaction of completion on work projects. It is very special to be helping to restore and maintain the LST 325.