Inside LST

Inside LST

January 7th, 2004, 2:52 am #1

Michael Smith has updated his webside www.insidelst.com with some additional information and photographs (Thanks for the ramp and elevator pictures, Michael!).

Some of you might find it especially interesting as there are LST's in the Philippine Navy pictured...2004!

You are all so good to share information and answer questions for me...I appreciate it and thank you!

January 7th, 2004, 9:14 am #2

Seabat,
up to the early 1990's there were close to 100 former WW2 LST ships in service around the world.All with various Govt's. The Indon. Army would have the most. They also had built in the 60's five more to the original U.S.N. plans. (built in Sth. Korea) These vessels carried the original U.S.N. numbers, and were to be seen in news footage during the TIMOR uprisings. Don't confuse them with the original ships. Philipines got over 60 thru the years and many of them are still in commission. Republic of Singapore took five and have just started (Y2K) to replace them. I do have the numbers for them somewhere .
regards Raymond

January 10th, 2004, 2:44 pm #3

It continues to amaze me - how versatile these ships are. A true 'can do' attitude... I remember an LST motto "You call, we haul" and that really does seem to be the case - men, equipment, munitions, supplies, railroad cars, helicopters, hospital and barge functions....whatever. Just when I think I've heard it all....I find I haven't!

January 10th, 2004, 3:16 pm #4

With apologies to anyone of Italian ancestry...I've read in the diary of one of the LST-325's officers about another LST hauling a group of mules to Italy and that he thought hauling Italian prisoners was bad enough, but at least they weren't mules!

January 10th, 2004, 3:37 pm #5

It continues to amaze me - how versatile these ships are. A true 'can do' attitude... I remember an LST motto "You call, we haul" and that really does seem to be the case - men, equipment, munitions, supplies, railroad cars, helicopters, hospital and barge functions....whatever. Just when I think I've heard it all....I find I haven't!
How about a tank-deck loaded with cases of whiskey for an army outpost on Cho Do, Korea. Ater unloading on the beach, we got ice-bound. Had to call for ice-breaker help us off.
I'm not sure if all the cases were accounted for.
This speaks more to the needs of the military than to the versatility of the LST

January 10th, 2004, 8:30 pm #6

<font face="comic sans ms" color=navy size=4></font>

http://www.LSTMemorial.org

January 10th, 2004, 10:19 pm #7

Looks like the 1110 heard about an ice-bound T with a tank deck full of booze and is effecting their very own rescue operation!

January 11th, 2004, 6:11 am #8

<font face="comic sans ms" color=navy size=4>Note: when the subject line says nt or n/t, that means "no text" in the message and that you don't need to open it. The subject line says it all .....
</font>

January 11th, 2004, 5:36 pm #9

How about a tank-deck loaded with cases of whiskey for an army outpost on Cho Do, Korea. Ater unloading on the beach, we got ice-bound. Had to call for ice-breaker help us off.
I'm not sure if all the cases were accounted for.
This speaks more to the needs of the military than to the versatility of the LST
Misplaced 'stores'....plenty of ice....

February 5th, 2004, 6:43 am #10

<font face="comic sans ms" color=navy size=4></font>

Actually, an LST could perform icebreaking duties fairly well if the forward hull were a bit thicker. An icebreaker doesn't ram the ice to clear a path, rather it clears a path by riding up on the ice and using the weight of the ship to 'break' it. (Otherwise it might be called an 'icerammer'- chuckle.) A flat--bottomed ship like an LST would be perfect (given the afore-mentioned heavier plating and some added weight at the bow).