Information

Information

January 8th, 2012, 10:19 pm #1

My father served on a LST in WWII. I realize that there were many LSTs in use at that time. Is there an organization or branch of the Navy that keeps or kept a list of the the ships number and the ships company for that particular ship. My fathers ship was torpedoed and he was a survivor. His discharge papers are not available so I thought I could find his ship and start from there. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, HC Austin

January 9th, 2012, 2:14 pm #2

Yes, there is a website and it is "Navsource.com" Look for amphibous ships and the site will list all of the LSTs built for WW II. The site also gives the information of where the LST was built, when commissioned, and pictures if any were available.

January 9th, 2012, 6:12 pm #3

My father served on a LST in WWII. I realize that there were many LSTs in use at that time. Is there an organization or branch of the Navy that keeps or kept a list of the the ships number and the ships company for that particular ship. My fathers ship was torpedoed and he was a survivor. His discharge papers are not available so I thought I could find his ship and start from there. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, HC Austin
You may also find information on

http://www.hullnumber.com/

Although not an official Navy source, there is a lot of information about individual ships.
Often old shipmates find each other on this site. You may run across friends of your dad on this site. You can also post on this site to ask questions.

January 10th, 2012, 5:43 am #4

You can try UBOAT.net In the allied ship section they list 54 LST losses. This includes the Royal Navy losses along with USN losses. They are listed by year and date and give the location. PAcific losses are also listed. It should give you a place to start.

January 11th, 2012, 7:22 pm #5

The National Personnel Center people are very helpful and will guide you through getting the records you need for your dad's history in the Navy. Once you get that information, you may join the U.S. LST
association (www.USLST.org) in your father's name and ship number. They will furnish you a list of shipmates that they have on record and you can make contact with some of those remaining alive.

A. Records of Individuals

Federal Government Resources. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), Military Personnel Records, http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/s ... cords.html, is a repository for the personnel, health, and medical records of all discharged and deceased veterans (all branches of the armed forces) who served after 1900.

Veterans and their next-of-kin may now use “eVetRecs” to request records from the Center, http://www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs. Veterans and next-of-kin without Internet access and all others may submit their requests in writing to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

If possible, use a Standard Form 180 for this request. The form may be downloaded from http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/s ... m_180.html. Copies of the Form also may be obtained by dialing the NARA’s Fax-on-Demand system at (301) 837-0990 and requesting document number 2255. Requests may be submitted by mail or by fax to (314) 801-9195.

If you cannot obtain a Standard Form 180 for this request, include in your inquiry the service member’s complete name, Social Security number and/or serial number, branch of service, and dates of service as well as your return address. Date and place of birth for the veteran would be helpful too, as would be place of discharge, last unit of assignment, and place of entry into service, if known. You must sign and date your request.

More than one request may be submitted per envelope, but policy requires that you submit a separate form/letter for each individual whose records are being requested. Please allow at least 2 – 4 weeks for a reply. If you need assistance, telephone the Center at (314) 538-2050.

GOOD LUCK

January 14th, 2012, 3:03 am #6

Interesting article, hope it helps:

http://pegcole17.hubpages.com/hub/How-I ... r-and-WWII