In Memoriam, Donald Wittersheim

In Memoriam, Donald Wittersheim

June 10th, 2005, 4:22 pm #1

I just posted a short obituary on the Progress Report page of the website. He will be greatly missed.

Some may have wondered about happenings here in the Discussion Forum. Several posts were made which I had to delete because the family members had not yet been notified. (As of now, they have all been contacted.)

Yesterday, the news was prematurely spreading through the Evansville media. More people started posting, so I had to switch this forum to "moderated" mode (which means that posts need to be approved by me before they appear).

I'm sorry for any inconvenience. We were just trying to show compassion for the family by not letting them find out about their tragedy on the Internet.

I will now reenable automatic (unmoderated) posting.

June 10th, 2005, 4:26 pm #2

IN MEMORIAM, DONALD W. WITTERSHEIM
Posted 10 June 2005

The LST 325 family is saddened by the loss of our crewmember Donald W. Wittersheim, and wishes to extend its deepest condolences to the Wittersheim family.

Don suddenly and unexpectedly passed away on Wednesday, June 8. He was a son, a husband, a father, a grandfather, a friend and a valued shipmate. We all mourn his loss together.

Don had been an avid crewmember since the ship's arrival in Mobile on Jan. 10, 2001. Indeed, he was one of the first and he's been working hard for the ship all along, in many different ways. He was willing to do anything he was asked, had a terrific sense of humor and always maintained an upbeat attitude. He was LST 325's "Water and Oil King" and he will be sorely missed by all.

The family requests that memorials be made to LST 325. More details on arrangements will be posted as they become available. In particular, a statement from the family is expected this evening.

Last edited by WebSkipper325 on June 11th, 2005, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2005, 9:51 pm #3

I just posted a short obituary on the Progress Report page of the website. He will be greatly missed.

Some may have wondered about happenings here in the Discussion Forum. Several posts were made which I had to delete because the family members had not yet been notified. (As of now, they have all been contacted.)

Yesterday, the news was prematurely spreading through the Evansville media. More people started posting, so I had to switch this forum to "moderated" mode (which means that posts need to be approved by me before they appear).

I'm sorry for any inconvenience. We were just trying to show compassion for the family by not letting them find out about their tragedy on the Internet.

My sincerest condolences to Don's family. I hope that in the days ahead they will be comforted by their wonderful memories.

I'm also thinking about our crew. It's always difficult to lose a member of a family - biological or 'chosen'. I'm sure those aboard are striving to go on, even though hearts must be heavy. But that is what Don would want them to do...go on, sharing history, knowledge. It's a 61 year echo from those men aboard the 325 that sent troops into battle on the beaches at Normandy - or those that served at Saipan, Sicily, Guam, Leyte, Okinawa and so many others....they worked on in spite of grief.

Don loved the mission of the 325 and the ship itself. I believe that he is above; I can imagine him talking to Jackson Carter and all the others, giving them an update on 'their' ship.

Prayers for the bereaved have been said for the entire 'family', but especially those near and dear to Don. May he enjoy God's perfect peace.

June 10th, 2005, 10:54 pm #4

Click here to read it.