I found A ship mate of my grandfather

I found A ship mate of my grandfather

January 4th, 2008, 10:00 pm #1

Bud Budzil Was 17 when he took the 77 from jefferson ville with my grandfather now I get the story first hand He had no pic's and I put him on to Photobucket.com search Kohout77 and he found at least 4 pic's of himself he said it's a banner day in his life.That is the greatest thing I have heard in along time.Now he is telling me about the pic's and the landing's.For me it's like hitting the jack pot.

Bob R.

January 4th, 2008, 10:05 pm #2

Bob R.

January 4th, 2008, 11:19 pm #3

Bud Budzil Was 17 when he took the 77 from jefferson ville with my grandfather now I get the story first hand He had no pic's and I put him on to Photobucket.com search Kohout77 and he found at least 4 pic's of himself he said it's a banner day in his life.That is the greatest thing I have heard in along time.Now he is telling me about the pic's and the landing's.For me it's like hitting the jack pot.

Bob R.
Bob,
I met one of my Dad's shipmates at a reunion a few years ago and have been in touch over the years. It is something else when they tell you stories about the ship and it's service you hadn't heard. If they have photos you haven't seen it's even more incredible.
Congratulations you did hit the jackpot.

January 5th, 2008, 12:02 am #4

Bob R.
It is like a birthday, Christmas and New Years, the Fourth of July all rolled into one. I'm sure it felt that way to Bud as well.. especially being able to see photos that he hadn't seen before. What a gift to each other!

We're all really pleased for you, Bob!

January 5th, 2008, 1:15 am #5

Bob R.

January 5th, 2008, 3:53 pm #6

Bob R.
That's great for both you, Bob & your grandfather's shipmate! You put a lot of effort into perserving what you've received from your grandfather & your hard work has paid off. I wish I could find one of my Dad's shipmates. Everytime I find something online, there's an email address but it comes back as unknown or something. It's wonderful that the LSTers have the LST week so that so many can get together. He was on the Rudyerd Bay so not an LSTer.

January 6th, 2008, 4:31 am #7

Bob R.
comes to those of us who wait and are patient. I'm so glad for you. Keep up the good work and more news will happen if it's meant to be. Garry and I are really happy for you.

January 6th, 2008, 4:42 pm #8

Only it was when they were transporting german prisoner's and tried to lower the elevator to get the [honey pot's] as he called them some one had pulled the pin's and it fell on top of a group of them killing 15 to 20 of them .He said he ran down there with a sub machine gun by himself into a group of about 200 who thought they did it on purpose.He said my grandfather went up one side of him and down the other for about a half an hour.He also said he really did not like him because he was so strict.

Bob R.

January 6th, 2008, 4:52 pm #9

Your Grandpa garnered respect, I have no doubt. He did his job... Often when one is in a position of responsibility, one can't be everyone's buddy - but he was their best friend in that he made sure rules were observed and obeyed. In doing so he brought them home. That says a great deal during wartime.

Dad's CO was strict as well "By the book" many of the shipmates have told me. They may not have been fond of him in 1943/44/45... but they sure respected him. After the war's end, most of the shipmates kept in touch with him and his attendance at their first ship's reunion in Evansville was centered around 'the old man'.