Hurricane Ike delays LST

Hurricane Ike delays LST

September 14th, 2008, 9:15 pm #1

The fury of Hurricane Ike reaches even as far north as to affect LST 325. Because of the sudden and dramatic rise of the Mississippi River, the LST will be delayed in leaving Fort Madison, Iowa. Originally the ship was scheduled to depart Fort Madison on Monday, Sep. 15. That departure will be delayed possibly two or three days because of concern that the LST, because of her notable height, might not clear certain bridges in the St. Louis area.

The ship will remain in Fort Madison and remain open for tours until she is cleared to depart.

Return to Evansville is now expected to be perhaps Sunday, Sep.21 -- best guess at this time.

*CORRECTION ADDED: As Captain Jornlin states in a related post, he has decided the ship will not be open for tours while it remains in Fort Madison in order to give a tired crew some R&R.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on September 15th, 2008, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2008, 9:28 pm #2

Today, Sunday, Sep. 14, the remnants of Hurricane Ike reached Evansville, home of LST 325. The great wind in the area has caused numerous power outages in Evansville and surrounding areas. I have a large power line down in my backyard as I write this post, although it is the line to a neighbor's home so Sandy and I surprisingly still have power at our home -- at least for now.

Evansville had wind gusts over 60 mph. The Louisville, Kentucky, airport, 100 miles east of Evansville recorded a wind gust of 75 mph.

Many residents of our Tri-State area (southwestern Indiana, southerneastern Illinois, northwestern Kentucky) are without power. I took a drive an hour ago and there are numerous streets blocked in Evansville by large, fallen tree limbs and downed power lines.

With this hurricane affecting us this severely at our location (far inland and far north of its landfall), I hesitate to consider the situation of folks farther south, nearer the Gulf.

Let us know by posting if Hurricane Ike has affected your area.

Mike Whicker
Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on September 14th, 2008, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2008, 10:30 pm #3

The fury of Hurricane Ike reaches even as far north as to affect LST 325. Because of the sudden and dramatic rise of the Mississippi River, the LST will be delayed in leaving Fort Madison, Iowa. Originally the ship was scheduled to depart Fort Madison on Monday, Sep. 15. That departure will be delayed possibly two or three days because of concern that the LST, because of her notable height, might not clear certain bridges in the St. Louis area.

The ship will remain in Fort Madison and remain open for tours until she is cleared to depart.

Return to Evansville is now expected to be perhaps Sunday, Sep.21 -- best guess at this time.

*CORRECTION ADDED: As Captain Jornlin states in a related post, he has decided the ship will not be open for tours while it remains in Fort Madison in order to give a tired crew some R&R.
Today, Sunday, Sep. 14, the remnants of Hurricane Ike reached Evansville, home of LST 325. The great wind in the area has caused numerous power outages in Evansville and surrounding areas. I have a large power line down in my backyard as I write this post, although it is the line to a neighbor's home so Sandy and I surprisingly still have power at our home -- at least for now.

Evansville had wind gusts over 60 mph. The Louisville, Kentucky, airport, 100 miles east of Evansville, recorded a wind gust of 75 mph.

Many residents of our Tri-State area (southwestern Indiana, southerneastern Illinois, northwestern Kentucky) are without power. I took a drive an hour ago and there are numerous streets blocked in Evansville by large, fallen tree limbs and downed power lines.

With this hurricane affecting us this severely at our location (far inland and far north of its landfall), I hesitate to consider the situation of folks farther south, nearer the Gulf.

Mike Whicker

September 14th, 2008, 11:09 pm #4

Might take a few more days, as the river here in St. louis is high due to all the rain, we got about 3-6 inches today. Depending on where you were.

September 15th, 2008, 2:02 am #5

Evansville had wind gusts over 60 mph. The Louisville, Kentucky, airport, 100 miles east of Evansville, recorded a wind gust of 75 mph.

Mike Whicker

Show me a man that does not pray, and I will show you a man that has not been to sea.

I wish for sleep.\

Capt. Bill

Last edited by bkaupas on September 15th, 2008, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2008, 2:53 am #6

Might take a few more days, as the river here in St. louis is high due to all the rain, we got about 3-6 inches today. Depending on where you were.
The LST 325 will not be open in FT Madison as Mike has reported. Instead, a well deserved rest for crew is in order. Some maintenance will be performed. We hope the Miss. R. will fall as rapid as it went up. Capt.

September 16th, 2008, 1:53 am #7

Show me a man that does not pray, and I will show you a man that has not been to sea.

I wish for sleep.\

Capt. Bill

I looked at this picture & thought "oh no, all those models toppled, what a job it will be to put them back together & try to repair for display again".... I was thinking this was a shelving unit of model boats. Steve says it's an aerial view & these are real boats.... So I looked again..... oh my gosh... are those really boats & not models????? Is one of them yours? Today's paper if full of pics of the damage... I feel so sorry for everyone, it's hard to comprehend that kind of damage! Ike roared through here yesterday & there's trees down & some damage but not like a tornado would have done. We had gusts in the 60 mph range & it was scary but nothing compared to Texas.

September 16th, 2008, 2:00 am #8

The LST 325 will not be open in FT Madison as Mike has reported. Instead, a well deserved rest for crew is in order. Some maintenance will be performed. We hope the Miss. R. will fall as rapid as it went up. Capt.
Power has just been restored to my corner of Ohio, but there are thousands upon thousands still without power. I'm thankful that there was no damage to my home, but devastated because a dear friend lost his life when he was hit by a falling tree....

Please stay safe wherever you are!!!!

September 16th, 2008, 2:02 am #9

Mike Whicker

how all the volunteers are? That was quite a wind from Ike & like you say we're quite aways from the area he hit. I feel so sorry for those that received the direct hit of Ike. I hope our LST family down in that area are all ok.

September 16th, 2008, 2:35 am #10

support crew! See you all at LST week... hope you're there in time!