Hannibal photos . . . a few

Hannibal photos . . . a few

August 24th, 2008, 7:28 pm #1

Here are a few photos from Hannibal, Missouri, taken Sunday, August 24, 2008.

Here is a photo of the LST taken from the famous "Lover's Leap" bluff just south of Hannibal overlooking the Mighty Mississippi.

Below is downtown Hannibal with the LST visible on the river. Taken from Lover's Leap.

August 24th, 2008, 8:01 pm #2

Photos from Hannibal, Missouri -- August, 2008.

Jim Voelker, chief cook on this voyage, wants everyone to know who is in charge of the galley. Yes, that's a "Chief's" feather he is wearing.

August 24th, 2008, 10:26 pm #3

There is another photo from Hannibal at the link below, taken Aug. 24.

http://blogs.courierpress.com/ecp/whicker/

August 25th, 2008, 1:21 am #4

Here is a photo of the LST taken from the famous "Lover's Leap" bluff just south of Hannibal overlooking the Mighty Mississippi.

Below is downtown Hannibal with the LST visible on the river. Taken from Lover's Leap.

This is an album where my pictures are stored. They were taken on Friday & Saturday (8/22-23/08). It was too rainy on Thurs to take any. Hannibal was a nice place. There is a lovely park area where the ship is docked. They had a concert, showed Pearl Harbor on an outdoor screen, took free pictures in front of the ship (very nice ones!), gave away goodies, served the crew a free BBQ lunch, and more. People walked by, stood or sat & watched & stood in line. I didn't get to see much of the town other than the stores I visited to shop for the crew. Steve walked from the hotel through Mark Twain's neighborhood where his home, his Dad's office, a pharmacy, etc were located. Of course nothing was open at the hours he walked through there. The ship was only about 2 blocks from the Hotel Clemans. It's a quaint little town! We left around 2 pm on Saturday due to other obligations back here. It was so hard to leave family, friends & the ship especially when they were so busy! Hope to catch everyone in another port - if not, see you at LST week!
http://picasaweb.google.com/wascottie/2 ... tHanibalMo

August 25th, 2008, 11:21 am #5

...for the photos. Those lines remind me so much of Peoria last year - and lines are good things! Hannibal is a great tourism town and no doubt they are thrilled to have the LST visit.

Wish I could be there but instead will catch up with the ship in Moline.

August 25th, 2008, 1:07 pm #6

Photos from Hannibal, Missouri -- August, 2008.

Jim Voelker, chief cook on this voyage, wants everyone to know who is in charge of the galley. Yes, that's a "Chief's" feather he is wearing.
Hannibal is a very interesting small town with a lot to offer for a weekend tourist "place to go." And it is centrally located in the Midwest and very accessible. For example, Evansville, Indiana, home of the LST, is only a five hour drive away. There is a lot of great stuff to see in this area. The scenery is beautiful around here. You hear a lot about the "muddy" Mississippi River, but at Hannibal the river is a bright blue color surrounded by high bluffs and thick woods. Many caves to explore in the area.

Here are some photos of Hannibal. Thanks, Hannibal, for a great stop for the LST.

Here is one of the two big Mark Twain museums in Hannibal. Notice the white "LST Parking" sign on the street lamp in front.

Boyhood home complex two blocks from the museum

Samuel Clemons -- Mark Twain -- grew up in this house.

Becky's house

This is Dr. Grant's Drug Store. Dr. Grant treated Samuel Clemens as a child and Mark Twain later mentions the doctor in Tom Sawyer.

Downtown Hannibal has many streets like this one filled with unusual shops and places to see.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on August 26th, 2008, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2008, 7:19 pm #7

I didn't get to see all of those places. Wish I would have walked to the ship one day or walked over after. Guess my puppies were too tired to carry me over there after a day at the ship & running errands. I think Hannibal would be an interesting place to go back to visit. I picked up the tourist guide & noticed lots of things to do.

August 26th, 2008, 5:32 am #8

Seabat, email me Bruce's cell phone number. Looks like he needs some "motivation" .