Halloween in Evansville, 1942

Halloween in Evansville, 1942

October 31st, 2006, 11:15 am #1

Here is an article about the launch of the first Evansville LST in 1942.

http://www.emuseum.org/virtual_museum/e ... img15.html

Happy Halloween, everyone!

October 31st, 2006, 5:10 pm #2

Son-of-Rosie what is the large white building structure at the east end of the shipyard?

October 31st, 2006, 8:39 pm #3

Rookie Gator:

It is a little hard to tell the distance away from the river. If that big white building is across St. Joseph Ave. it must be Mead Johnson, a company that made pharmaceuticals.

If that building is on the shipyard property it has to be the "Shops Building"; the Shops Building was a large structure that housed the machine shop, the electrical shop, the riggers loft, and the pipe shop. The Shops Building set just downriver from the launchways so the angle in the photo lines up with where the Shops Building was located.

The much smaller white building in front of the Shops Building looks like the "Acetylene Building" that sat in front of the Shops Building, so my guess is the large white structure is indeed the Shops Building.

By the way, this Halloween 1942 launching of LST 157 is the setting in the book Invitation to Valhalla where the German spy, Erika Lehmann, meets the shipyard engineer Joe Mayer.

(by the way, those buildings are downriver, or west, of the ship in the photo).

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on October 31st, 2006, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 1st, 2006, 4:16 am #4

Here is an article about the launch of the first Evansville LST in 1942.

http://www.emuseum.org/virtual_museum/e ... img15.html

Happy Halloween, everyone!
That is either the Shipyard Machine shop or the Carpenter shop (the mold loft covered it's second floor). Both were large buildings. The Carpenter shop burned in early Janaury 1946, it was one of Evansville's largest fires ever.
If I can learn how to post an image I will post a nice draftsman's artwork showing the entire shipyard with the two buildings.
H Morgan

November 1st, 2006, 5:04 am #5

For those from out-of-town, Harold Morgan is one of Evansville's top historians. Harold writes newspaper and magazine articles about local history and is a tour guide on LST 325.

I agree Harold about the machine shop. The Machine Shop you mention is the "Shops Building" I referred to. The Shops Building housed not only the machine shop but the electrical shop, riggers loft, and pipe shop. When doing research for Invitation to Valhalla, my research indicates the carpenter shop was a much smaller building west of the large mold loft. The mold loft you mention was another large building west of the launching ways but my schematics tell me the mold loft was over a warehouse, not over the much smaller carpenter shop.

This is an interesting mystery. Let's get together and solve it. Anyone else out there who can testify to this anonymity contact Harold or me. Rookie Gator, you've opened an intriguing mystery.

From the angle of the photo, my vote is still that the building is the Shops Building because I think that is the Acetylene Building in front of it. There was a building in front of the Mold Loft/Warehouse but it was just a very tiny first aid station.

P.S. Harold, you realize we are most likely boring the heck out of everyone out there except you and me (chuckle).

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on November 1st, 2006, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 1st, 2006, 11:57 am #6

Not boring at all!!!! Interesting to learn about the shipyard too - that's an important part of LST history as you all very well know.

I was interested in the mold shop information you both shared - that is what my Dad did for a living after the war. Dad worked part time after school as a teenager in a local mold shop. As a MoMM on board ship, some of his mechanical talents were acquired and put to use after the war. He was a foreman and operated one of the first CNC lathes in the US when he passed away (1980).

November 1st, 2006, 1:27 pm #7

As soon as I have learned to post photos/images, I will post a few of the shipyard showing the shop and the fire. These are pre-fire and during the fire from almost the same position.