Great Visit Monday in Peoria!

Great Visit Monday in Peoria!

August 28th, 2007, 4:17 am #1

What a wonderful experience today to finally come aboard this great old ship!! My most memorable recall is: "Wow - this is one REALLY BIG SHIP!!" That does not come across in the pictures until you actually get to stand on the deck and look waaaaaaay down there to the other end! Got to meet several of the gold crew, including the captain, and so many other wonderful, helpful people. Perry took time out of his lunch schedule, eating on the go, and gave us all a great tour of the radio room, which was so very special. My friend Harold got to bang out some practice morse code on the vibroplex keyer and Perry read it all just fine. Someday(when its a little cooler) and there is not a lot of visitor traffic I hope to get a tour of the engine room, maybe on a visit to Evansville in the Fall or Spring. The visitor traffic today was brisk and busy, but not as loaded as it was over the weekend when they had upwards of 3,000 visitors on both days. Therefore we got a leisurely tour and spent all the time we wanted viewing various areas of the ship. Saw a lot of eager school kids taking it all in with many questions. The guys were loving it as they patiently explained how it all worked. The weather was absolutely wonderful with a beautiful breeze under the shaded visitor tent areas - blue skys and fluffy white clouds.
Thanks to all the crew and helpers who have brought the old girl back to her present state. The ship is a living reminder of our countries history and the cost of our freedom today!

August 28th, 2007, 10:46 am #2

Jim... I am so glad you finally got to visit... and we look forward to seeing more of you!

The fellows are the best... they share your love of history and are eager to share the ship with all who express an interest.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the thing that surprised you the most? (Other than experiencing the ship 'live' and seeing the size of her)

With me, in 2003, it was the echo of history that one could sense all around - she truly is a living memorial.

August 28th, 2007, 6:18 pm #3

Size alone was still foremost, but talking to the crew who sailed her and getting their little insights(way too numerous to write down) about their feelings when restoring her for the trip, the lack of help from so many sources and yet they perservered and got it done, and so many other tidbits that only come from a first-hand chat. By the way, as a fixer-upper and part-time greasemonkey I love the smells of diesel and paint. The cooks had some great odors wafting up from the kitchen also! I will try to put a couple of pics up if I can master the technique.

August 28th, 2007, 7:25 pm #4

We have a problem. In reading this entry, I see a slight error. Kitchen????? Oh my gosh..do we have to help this fella out? At least he called the LST a ship. So, I guess we can go easy. Chris is going to have to hold a new class in correct terms 101.

It is great however that he felt that magical force that takes over a person when boarding the Grand Lady. He is one of us now. Welcome to our family.

Ann

August 28th, 2007, 8:19 pm #5

I bet by now he knows the area where food is prepared is a "galley". I'm not sure but I may have talked to him as he was boarding as I was standing on shore either changing the sign or doing crowd control. Perhaps we were still unloading Steve's gear or Boat's "surprise". NO!!!, it wasn't CIGARS, Chris! (Ha, notice I wasn't just "goofing on" out there ... lol!) Seriously, I talked to a gentleman who was interested in the radio room & had communicated with one of the radio men earlier. I bet he'll visit Evansville & know all the correct terms in no time & maybe even love volunteering. Perhaps he'll be a radio operator on future cruises!
Glad to see your enthusiam Jim & hope you know we all kid around on here a lot. Some of us have made the same mistake on terms & been corrected & corrected until we get it right! Hope to see you in Evansville, it's not a bad drive from Peoria!

August 28th, 2007, 11:04 pm #6

What a wonderful experience today to finally come aboard this great old ship!! My most memorable recall is: "Wow - this is one REALLY BIG SHIP!!" That does not come across in the pictures until you actually get to stand on the deck and look waaaaaaay down there to the other end! Got to meet several of the gold crew, including the captain, and so many other wonderful, helpful people. Perry took time out of his lunch schedule, eating on the go, and gave us all a great tour of the radio room, which was so very special. My friend Harold got to bang out some practice morse code on the vibroplex keyer and Perry read it all just fine. Someday(when its a little cooler) and there is not a lot of visitor traffic I hope to get a tour of the engine room, maybe on a visit to Evansville in the Fall or Spring. The visitor traffic today was brisk and busy, but not as loaded as it was over the weekend when they had upwards of 3,000 visitors on both days. Therefore we got a leisurely tour and spent all the time we wanted viewing various areas of the ship. Saw a lot of eager school kids taking it all in with many questions. The guys were loving it as they patiently explained how it all worked. The weather was absolutely wonderful with a beautiful breeze under the shaded visitor tent areas - blue skys and fluffy white clouds.
Thanks to all the crew and helpers who have brought the old girl back to her present state. The ship is a living reminder of our countries history and the cost of our freedom today!
you enjoyed your first visit to the ship. You'll probably be hooked from now on. As we pull up to the ship each time we visit her I always say the same thing to Fred: "Isn't she beautiful!"

August 28th, 2007, 11:23 pm #7

I don't think people realize that the newer lst's were even bigger than the 325.

August 29th, 2007, 1:45 am #8

We have a problem. In reading this entry, I see a slight error. Kitchen????? Oh my gosh..do we have to help this fella out? At least he called the LST a ship. So, I guess we can go easy. Chris is going to have to hold a new class in correct terms 101.

It is great however that he felt that magical force that takes over a person when boarding the Grand Lady. He is one of us now. Welcome to our family.

Ann
As a former "groundpounder" in the USAR, artillery, I did slip up a bit there. However, I am on a very fast learning curve and will work on that. My knot tying is right up there as I have a strong scouting background so you won't fault me there!
I do wish someone would tell me how to learn the ropes on uploading pics to this site. Is "photobucket" the way to go or can I just use "insert object" somehow? I have a tech background, but this is new to me.
I know I must have met a lot of the crew/workers in Peoria, who frequent this site, but I will definately try for more of you when I get to Evansville.

August 29th, 2007, 3:04 am #9

If I can post photos, anyone can!

Once the photos are scanned to a folder in you computer (make sure they are sized for webpage display), log on to this site and click on Post New Message option. Put your name and message title on the blank form. Go to the photobucket option at the bottom of screen and click on it. The first time you do this, follow the instructions to set up a photobucket account file. (It's free and all you have to do is pick a logon name and password). Follow the instructions and then you'll be ready to post photos.

Use the Browse option (click on the button). Find the folder where you have your photos stored. Once you have opened the photo you want to share, click Upload. When it is complete, you'll have a message and you'll be able to see the photo in the small thumbnails below. The photobucket system automatically puts it in a link for you. Highlight the link and copy. Scroll up and paste the link in the body of the Message Text. If you want text underneath each photo, all you have to do is space down (hit enter and your cursor should move down a space after the end of the link) and type in whatever you choose.

Scroll down and Browse again if you want to post more than one photo.

Once you are done with all of the photos you want to post, hit Logout on the photobucket. Click on Preview if you want to see how it will look. If it's what you expected/want, then click on Respond/Post and you're done!

Hope this helps.

We are anxious to see your photos!

You can use insert object, but using that option only puts the photos up for a limited time (I think 10 days) and then they disappear. Photobucket is a more permanent option.
Last edited by SeaBat on August 29th, 2007, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 29th, 2007, 3:10 am #10

As a former "groundpounder" in the USAR, artillery, I did slip up a bit there. However, I am on a very fast learning curve and will work on that. My knot tying is right up there as I have a strong scouting background so you won't fault me there!
I do wish someone would tell me how to learn the ropes on uploading pics to this site. Is "photobucket" the way to go or can I just use "insert object" somehow? I have a tech background, but this is new to me.
I know I must have met a lot of the crew/workers in Peoria, who frequent this site, but I will definately try for more of you when I get to Evansville.
photobucket option. Not sure what others use. There's some real pros on here that know how to do all this stuff... I'm not one of them... lol! Hopefully Seabat or someone else will explain better than I can. We'll all be glad to meet you or meet you again in Evansville, see you soon we hope!