From the Navy Department Library... TRIVIA

From the Navy Department Library... TRIVIA

November 17th, 2008, 11:47 pm #1

(Did you think I had forgotten? Maybe just wishing I had... )

The following questions are from the Navy Department Library at the Navy Historical Website... no cheating.. DON'T look them up until after you've posted your answers...

"APA's and AKA's are designed to furnish transportation to assault troops and their equipment and to disembark them on hostile shores in the face of enemy resistance in the least possible time." The LCVP's (small boats) are also included in the reading.

1. The term "landing boats" includes all craft designed for landing operations which are ____________________________.

2. The term "landing craft" is used for all craft designed for landing operations which are less than _____ feet in length and ________________.

3. A position in the transport area is assigned each transport and cargo vessel. Upon arrival at designated positions, transports and cargo vessels will _____________________ depending on wind and sea conditions prevailing at the time.

4. Upon arrival at designated points in the transport area, APA's are stopped and, when directed, all boats are put over as expeditiously as possible. Sea conditions permitting, this should be by________________. If sea conditions are such as to require a lee, __________________ boats will be lowered first. As a matter of policy, vessels which can lower tank lighters and heavy equipment from but one side will use the ________________ for this operation.

5. The purpose of loading at the rail and lowering loaded is _____________________.

6. Boats will circle at reduced speed in the following directions:

a. Boats on ___________________will circle in a clockwise direction while waiting to be called alongside.
b. Boats on the _____________ will circle in a counterclockwise direction while waiting to be called alongside.
c. Boats on the _____________ will circle in a counterclockwise direction.

November 18th, 2008, 12:48 am #2

L know I know

November 18th, 2008, 12:49 am #3

The following questions are from the Navy Department Library at the Navy Historical Website... no cheating.. DON'T look them up until after you've posted your answers...

"APA's and AKA's are designed to furnish transportation to assault troops and their equipment and to disembark them on hostile shores in the face of enemy resistance in the least possible time." The LCVP's (small boats) are also included in the reading.

1. The term "landing boats" includes all craft designed for landing operations which are ____________________________.

2. The term "landing craft" is used for all craft designed for landing operations which are less than _____ feet in length and ________________.

3. A position in the transport area is assigned each transport and cargo vessel. Upon arrival at designated positions, transports and cargo vessels will _____________________ depending on wind and sea conditions prevailing at the time.

4. Upon arrival at designated points in the transport area, APA's are stopped and, when directed, all boats are put over as expeditiously as possible. Sea conditions permitting, this should be by________________. If sea conditions are such as to require a lee, __________________ boats will be lowered first. As a matter of policy, vessels which can lower tank lighters and heavy equipment from but one side will use the ________________ for this operation.

5. The purpose of loading at the rail and lowering loaded is _____________________.

a. Boats on ___________________will circle in a clockwise direction while waiting to be called alongside.
b. Boats on the _____________ will circle in a counterclockwise direction while waiting to be called alongside.
Last edited by skivywaver on November 18th, 2008, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 18th, 2008, 1:38 am #4

Be good.... I'd better tell the guys that you were the source of the materials, otherwise it could be an unfair advantage. And don't let Chris blackmail... er.. "persuade" you to help him with the answers..

November 18th, 2008, 3:56 am #5

I sent you a link a few weeks ago that had videos of those proceedurs. You left out something: Where do the "mike" boats wait?

November 20th, 2008, 11:59 pm #6

has any answers? Not even a guess?

November 21st, 2008, 3:19 pm #7

that means I win!!
Where is my prize???

November 21st, 2008, 11:44 pm #8

but do you???? When some of the guys find out you get one dozen SeaBat cookies.. they (Chris) will start to claim that they had the answers all along....

What do you think, Jim.. should we post the answers or let them wonder forever?

November 22nd, 2008, 12:04 am #9

Well if they don't know by now we are in trouble if we make an landing.
I'm not going to be on the beach and have them trying to hit the beach. I'm headed for some place safe. Behind Chris..

November 28th, 2008, 4:41 pm #10

You'll be at Kipplee's then....