first meeting since war

first meeting since war

October 27th, 2007, 7:19 pm #1

Sandy received this email from a man who had not seen some of his shipmates since the war and met them at LST Week.

Dear Sandy:
First of all, I want to say how much my wife and I enjoyed the LST Week. You get to meet so many wonderful people. I managed to meet two shipmates from LST 492, which I hadn't seen since 1944 in the Mediterranean.

Also I met Elwood Jones from LST 1010, and havent seen him since 1946. I was just estatic just to embrace them. I tried emailing Elwood but no response. We were shipmates for over 17 months in Europe and the South Pacific. Could you please email his home address. I must contact him. Everyone connected with the Memorial ship should be applauded, in the way everything fell in place, making it so enjoyable for all of us old fogeys!! I am sure you had a major part in the success of the reunion. The ride was so "special"!!!!!
I also attended last years LST Week, which I believed was the very first LST Week. Was it?????? If so, why not advertise next year as, "Third Annual LST Week"!!!

I must admit that a loyal volunteer took me through the port side living Compts. I wanted to see where I slept for 17 months on LST 1010, 1944 - 1946, although the area was supposedly a restricted area (why?). He graciously took me through and back. I really appreciated this volunteer going out of his way. That might have been my last visit!!!????

Sandy I did take a few digital pics in and around the ship. I know you have mounds of pics, but if you would like to view them, please let me know.
Thank you all again for a wonderful, memorable week. God willing, we will see you next year.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE,

Art Aregoni - Caspian, Michigan, LST 492 AND LST 1010.

October 27th, 2007, 9:57 pm #2

Why they (The 28 men known as the "Gold Crew") brought this "Grand Ole Lady" home to America! Their dream is being fulfilled as they hear and read stories like yours.
Thank you Art for sharing your feelings and thoughts and we're happy to know you re-connected with your shipmates. See you next year.
Dianne Hill

October 27th, 2007, 11:59 pm #3

thanks so much for sharing. As Dianne said it surely warms the hearts of those men who started all this and had the guts and perseverance to make it happen. As a volunteer I always look forward with anticipation to getting back to the old girl and it's stories like yours that just help give me more adrenaline.
Last edited by switt81555 on October 28th, 2007, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 28th, 2007, 3:58 am #4

for speaking up. We love this "Gray Lady" so much and it just brings us such a feeling of satisfaction to hear stories like yours. To see your letter is just another reason it is all worth it. Thank you and hope to see you in the LST 325 hospitality room room next year.