Dress blues

Dress blues

February 21st, 2007, 10:27 pm #1

One day last fall we saw what appeared to be a young sailor in dress blues coming down to the office. As he got nearer we realized that this was by no means a young sailor. This is Bos'n 1st Hall. 86 years young and still able to fit into his blues. How about it? Can you still get into yours????

February 22nd, 2007, 2:02 am #2

Doesn't he look great! And he even has his lanyard and bos'n pipe to top it all off!

February 22nd, 2007, 2:23 am #3

One day last fall we saw what appeared to be a young sailor in dress blues coming down to the office. As he got nearer we realized that this was by no means a young sailor. This is Bos'n 1st Hall. 86 years young and still able to fit into his blues. How about it? Can you still get into yours????
What is the white shield shaped patch on Mr. Hall's right forearm sleeve? (The left side of the photo)

I'm not familiar with that.

I bet he sent a shiver of respect among all who saw him that day.. what a wonderful thing to do!

February 22nd, 2007, 2:47 am #4

me about the Jeffersonville stop on the river trip. We were selling tickets & this guy came up in his dress blues, hopping around like a kid. He wanted to get on the ship - that was his ship. My heart was skipping (love those dress blues!) & excited for this excited fellow. As we looked at his closer we saw white hair from around his sailor cap (& seems like a mustache?)... this was no kid. He was the last one off the ship that night if I remember right. No idea who he was but we sure shared his excitement! Wonder if it could be the same gentleman?

February 22nd, 2007, 1:19 pm #5

What is the white shield shaped patch on Mr. Hall's right forearm sleeve? (The left side of the photo)

I'm not familiar with that.

I bet he sent a shiver of respect among all who saw him that day.. what a wonderful thing to do!
That shows that he is a member of the US Coast Guard

February 22nd, 2007, 11:22 pm #6

US Navy blues, but a Coast Guard patch? Did they have the same uniforms? Or was this a case of having served in both the US Navy and the US Coast Guard?

Flying Victor...

And Sherry.. I saw the lanyard, and wondered, but you confirmed what I was guessing.. that it's his Bo'sun pipe... hooked over his campaign ribbon.

February 23rd, 2007, 1:55 am #7

I noticed that Bos'n 1st Hall's rank patch is on his right arm sleave. When I look at my Dad's photos, His rank Patch is in his Left sleave. I'm confused is the location optional?

February 23rd, 2007, 2:15 am #8

My Dad always told me that the Coast Guard and Navy during WW II had the same uniforms. I guess the shield on the right sleve was one of the differences. Also at that time there were "Right Sleeve" or "Right Arm" rates and "Left Arm" rates. My Dad was a Storekeeper, which was a left arm rate. When I was in during late 60s we only had "Left Arm Rates."

I talked to a young fellow who just came back to my American Legion post. He was an Engineering Office on a DDG. We were talking about Navy Uniforms. He called the Dress Blue Uniform we are discussing here "Cracker Jack" blues. I never heard that before, but it is pretty descriptive. He also called the white hat, the "White Dixie Cup" hat. I had not heard that before either.

Has anyone heard these terms before?

February 23rd, 2007, 2:28 am #9

yes, Ken, I'd heard of them...

But I'd never heard the blues called "Cracker Jack" blues. If I remember right (it's been YEARS since I had cracker jacks), there is a Sailor in blues on the box.. at least there was several (don't choke) years ago... smile...

February 23rd, 2007, 2:32 am #10

My Dad always told me that the Coast Guard and Navy during WW II had the same uniforms. I guess the shield on the right sleve was one of the differences. Also at that time there were "Right Sleeve" or "Right Arm" rates and "Left Arm" rates. My Dad was a Storekeeper, which was a left arm rate. When I was in during late 60s we only had "Left Arm Rates."

I talked to a young fellow who just came back to my American Legion post. He was an Engineering Office on a DDG. We were talking about Navy Uniforms. He called the Dress Blue Uniform we are discussing here "Cracker Jack" blues. I never heard that before, but it is pretty descriptive. He also called the white hat, the "White Dixie Cup" hat. I had not heard that before either.

Has anyone heard these terms before?
the "cracker jack" uniform referrred to. Not sure if it was from my Dad or Bruce. Had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I didn't realize the Coast Guard & Navy had the same uniforms, interesting.