Death Notification of United States National LST Assoc. M.Gunjak

Death Notification of United States National LST Assoc. M.Gunjak

February 13th, 2009, 8:03 pm #1

I wish to notify you of the passing of Milan "Mike Gunjak" at 5:10 am this morning. He has been in the hospital for 3 weeks and passed away at Hospice peacefully. He lost his battle with cancer. He will be missed by all. Funeral arrangements are as follows the showing will be on Monday Feb. 16th at Freck Funeral Chapel 1155 S. Wynn Rd., Oregon, Oh. 43616, from 2:00 pm to 8:30 pm. Phone - 419-693-9304 Burial will be on Feb 17th at Toledo Memorial Park, Sylvania, OH after 10:00 am services at Freck Funeral Chapel. In lieu of flowers please send any donations in Mike's name to the US Navy Memorial, 701 Pennsylvania Ave, NW#123, Washington D.C. 20004 or Hospice of Northwest Ohio, 30000 East River Rd., Perrysburg, OH 43551.

February 17th, 2009, 10:03 pm #2

From reading this gentleman's obituary it sounds as if he did a lot behind the scenes for 325 many years back. I don't know, I wasn't around back then. I have, however, read a great many threads on the row between the Memorial Association and national. To be honest, I couldn't follow most of them, but if we need to couldn't we bury the hatchet at least temporarily to recognize him for what he's done, especially since he's a WWII vet? I don't know who did what to whom, but does that really matter at a time like this. I'm sure the family would appreciate some sort of recognition for his efforts. Is anyone doing anything for him?

Agree? Disagree?

February 17th, 2009, 10:17 pm #3

The previous posting about Mr. Gunjak's illness was removed at the request of his family. The 325 Ship Memorial was responsive to them at this time of Mike's illness.

The Ship Memorial Board, Captain Jornlin and all of the volunteers did send condolences to the Gunjak family. I can assure you of this as I handled it personally.

All of us should remember the family in our thoughts and prayers.