Cold Weather Tours

Cold Weather Tours

January 26th, 2009, 2:57 pm #1

Every day on LST 325 can be an exciting day, and this past Saturday was no exception. While the temperatures were very cold, and the wind chill was even colder, the ship was well represented and cared for by her dedicated volunteers. We had plenty of tour guides, plenty of Maintenance crew working diligently, as always, and plenty of "office ladies." Which was a good thing, because we also had quite a few guests who were willing to brave the cold in order to tour the ship. Among those were two gentlemen from Japan, who seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed their tour. I don't know who their tour guide was, but he must have done a terrific job. We also had a gentleman come on board who had been stationed on an LST in the South Pacific where, I understand, he had been part of the effort to liberate the Phillipines. These are just a few examples of the incredible people you get to meet by being a volunteer on LST 325. Thank you, Evansville, for making this possible -- my hat's off to all of you!! Saturday was a great day!

DAPHNE (just one of the "office ladies")

January 27th, 2009, 12:04 am #2

Bravo Daphne! All of the volunteers gladly give of their time in all types of weather . We do this because of our love of the LST and because we enjoy working together. The LST is a vital part of history in Evansville because of the ties to the shipyards. I would hope we remember this in the coming days .

January 27th, 2009, 4:15 am #3

Every day on LST 325 can be an exciting day, and this past Saturday was no exception. While the temperatures were very cold, and the wind chill was even colder, the ship was well represented and cared for by her dedicated volunteers. We had plenty of tour guides, plenty of Maintenance crew working diligently, as always, and plenty of "office ladies." Which was a good thing, because we also had quite a few guests who were willing to brave the cold in order to tour the ship. Among those were two gentlemen from Japan, who seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed their tour. I don't know who their tour guide was, but he must have done a terrific job. We also had a gentleman come on board who had been stationed on an LST in the South Pacific where, I understand, he had been part of the effort to liberate the Phillipines. These are just a few examples of the incredible people you get to meet by being a volunteer on LST 325. Thank you, Evansville, for making this possible -- my hat's off to all of you!! Saturday was a great day!

It has been brought to my attention that it was our own Sam Richey who guided our Japanese guests through their tour on Saturday, and my dad, Marvin Oeth, who had the privilege of guiding the tour for the LST Veteran and his family. Way to go, gentlemen!! As always, you have done an outstanding job and made us proud!

January 28th, 2009, 12:13 am #4

guys and gals! The captain has said time and again what a lucky ship she is, and the amazing and dedicated group of volunteers she has amassed over time is yet another testament of this. It sure warms the heart knowing this ship holds some kind of magic to so many that they will brave the elements to be able to take a glimpse back in time, and the efforts of all involved make this all possible. If a fortune teller would have told me ten years ago I'd be volunteering on a WWII ship I'd have laughed and demanded my money back. But after my first visit three years ago the magic hit me too, and I consider myself pretty lucky to be surrounded by such a neat group of folks. Just goes to show one never knows where life's path is going to take you.

So a big bravo zulu to everyone and we look forward to seeing y'all after spring thaw gets here - if it ever does