Clayton 'Bill' Nickerson of the Gold Crew

August 16th, 2017, 5:08 pm #1

Clayton Nickerson helped to bring back the USS LST 325 from Crete Greece to Mobile Alabama. He passed away in his sleep on August 13th. No information on services yet. Please take a moment to honor Clayton and his memory.

August 18th, 2017, 6:03 am #2

I do not know Bill personally but I've heard a lot about him. Bill had an adventure in life like very few people have had. I say to his wife, children, grandchildren, and everyone associated with Bill, Wow, what a ride! The ship is now in Evansville and we have some big shoes to fill. We are blessed with a lot of people volunteering their time and resources to keep the grey lady going. I need to qualify and restate the previous sentence.

We are not just going forward. Yes, this ship looks pretty, and it does, I challenge anyone to show me a WWII ship that looks this good without federal or state funds for the most part. Then we can talk about a good looking ship that actually runs....whoa! What the deck crew and the engineering crew continue to do is extraordinary. I am on the ship every weekend while in port as a tour guide and my secondary position is on the Board of Directors.

I feel privileged to hang with these kind of people and this unique piece of history. So, with that I'll say fair winds, Bill, and I hope we're making you proud.

Chris

August 19th, 2017, 2:07 pm #3

Clayton Nickerson helped to bring back the USS LST 325 from Crete Greece to Mobile Alabama. He passed away in his sleep on August 13th. No information on services yet. Please take a moment to honor Clayton and his memory.
Passing in one's sleep is a peaceful way to go home.
I bet he was dreaming of sailing on calm seas to a bright light in the horizon.
Rest in peace brother.

August 21st, 2017, 5:17 am #4

Bill, the orders have come:

We have the watch! Sailor rest your oars!

The Crew and Fans of LST 325 will miss you and the Gold Crew Members who have passed. We are forever thankful for what you and ALL of the Gold Crew brought us from Greece. We promise all of you that we will continue to work hard to preserve your memories, your work for all of us and honor your service!