Christening Bowl LST 574

Christening Bowl LST 574

June 29th, 2010, 2:40 pm #1

Fellow Enthusaists,

Recently I attended a Pacific Theater WWII re-enactment in Paris, IL.

After the event was over on Sunday I stopped in at a local shop which is sort of a quasi military museum.

While talking with the family members who owned the shop I mentioned LST 325 and one of the owners jumped up and disappeared into the rear of the shop.

After some clattering and banging he emerged with a wooden presentation stlye box. Inside of the box was the christening bowl for LST 574.

Naturally the section of the box for the champaign bottle was empty but the glass lid was still intact for that section.

It was an exciting moment to hold a piece of history like that especially one relating to LST history.

Carry on.

Sincerely,

Rob
Easton, IL
aka Crazyd Dima

July 3rd, 2010, 3:38 am #2

Hi Robert! Welcome aboard! I didn't know they even made these, so you are definitely ahead of me in the knowledge of LSTs! Wonder whatever happened to the 325's? Was it tradition for the lady who christened the ship to keep it? If so, maybe Mrs. Kolb has it. Do you know, Brolly?

July 20th, 2010, 2:02 pm #3

Unfortunately, I do not know Brolly.

Here are some photos from other LST christenings I have found on the web.
http://www.willard.lib.in.us/online_res ... .php?ID=34

http://www.emuseum.org/virtual_museum/e ... img17.html

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Rob
Re-enactor/amateur historian / volunteer

November 1st, 2017, 2:40 am #4

Fellow Enthusaists,

Recently I attended a Pacific Theater WWII re-enactment in Paris, IL.

After the event was over on Sunday I stopped in at a local shop which is sort of a quasi military museum.

While talking with the family members who owned the shop I mentioned LST 325 and one of the owners jumped up and disappeared into the rear of the shop.

After some clattering and banging he emerged with a wooden presentation stlye box. Inside of the box was the christening bowl for LST 574.

Naturally the section of the box for the champaign bottle was empty but the glass lid was still intact for that section.

It was an exciting moment to hold a piece of history like that especially one relating to LST history.

Carry on.

Sincerely,

Rob
Easton, IL
aka Crazyd Dima
I am in possession of the mahogany box and the sterling silver christiening bowl
The bottom of the bowl is marked:

P. Revere
REPRODUCTION
Circa 1750
sTERLING

Ths isde of the bowl is engraved:

U.S.S. LST 574
Mrs. Earl O. Koester
Evansville Ship Yard
June 5 1944

NOte that it was launched the day before D-Day, June 6, 1944!