Chat line

Chat line

January 14th, 2012, 3:11 pm #1

jan.-14-2012 1040hrs I wanted to tell all of you that I am very sorry if I fouled up the chat line> that was not my intention. I felt that some one should have made a comment about Jan. 10 I was surprised that sea bat had not responded May be you are not feeling wellif that is the reasion I do hope you are feeling better . As I sat at computor on jan .10 i was reminisceing The old gal did not get home to good old USA with out the 28-Gold crew membersI remember the storms we had almost lost our small boats , lost staboard engine pumping shaft alleys every hr. if any one was wondering what the writting was on bulkhead in after part of shaft alley starboard& port side that was the date & hr. that I was pumping the shaft alley<s by now i am sure they have been removed? also the slow trip down the Med. on 1-engine until the Governor of Gibraltar invited us to come in for repairs and also his visit W/his family the next day & he found time to talk to each & every & every one of usalso the loss of a cylinder on starboard engine & we traveled over 5000 mi. on 11cylinders the cracked on the heat exchanger which was patched up so we were able to operate on 23-cylinders ther is so much to tell & each & every one of us could add a lot more. after we returned most us wer invited to speak at service clubs schools churches. I do remember that every time I started with thanking for being invited then I would tell them that the Good Lord gave us our youth back for 6-months and the team work of the crewwith that I will conclude what I have to say at this time. I do want to thank all of th people who are involved in keeping the old Gal looking goodI think she shines where ever she sails.As you are aware us guys are slipping by one by one .This will be the last entry I will post on chat line I will be checking until I am unable to God Bless you all. You may have the chat line back. Dominick (Pop ) Perruso

January 14th, 2012, 6:24 pm #2

Please do not stop using the chat page. You are one of the reasons this wonderful treasure is back home. The fact that the crew is aging is all the more reason we need to hear from you. Sometimes we all get so wrapped up in the daily activities we forget what day it actually is, and sometimes we need and appreciate when others remind us what is important. I am down here at the gift shop every day and I appreciate all that you have done. Please do not feel like you have to stop using the chat room. That is what is is there for.....sharing. Wanda Engstrom

January 14th, 2012, 9:28 pm #3

jan.-14-2012 1040hrs I wanted to tell all of you that I am very sorry if I fouled up the chat line> that was not my intention. I felt that some one should have made a comment about Jan. 10 I was surprised that sea bat had not responded May be you are not feeling wellif that is the reasion I do hope you are feeling better . As I sat at computor on jan .10 i was reminisceing The old gal did not get home to good old USA with out the 28-Gold crew membersI remember the storms we had almost lost our small boats , lost staboard engine pumping shaft alleys every hr. if any one was wondering what the writting was on bulkhead in after part of shaft alley starboard& port side that was the date & hr. that I was pumping the shaft alley<s by now i am sure they have been removed? also the slow trip down the Med. on 1-engine until the Governor of Gibraltar invited us to come in for repairs and also his visit W/his family the next day & he found time to talk to each & every & every one of usalso the loss of a cylinder on starboard engine & we traveled over 5000 mi. on 11cylinders the cracked on the heat exchanger which was patched up so we were able to operate on 23-cylinders ther is so much to tell & each & every one of us could add a lot more. after we returned most us wer invited to speak at service clubs schools churches. I do remember that every time I started with thanking for being invited then I would tell them that the Good Lord gave us our youth back for 6-months and the team work of the crewwith that I will conclude what I have to say at this time. I do want to thank all of th people who are involved in keeping the old Gal looking goodI think she shines where ever she sails.As you are aware us guys are slipping by one by one .This will be the last entry I will post on chat line I will be checking until I am unable to God Bless you all. You may have the chat line back. Dominick (Pop ) Perruso
Dear Mr. Perruso,
I certainly hope you will not give up the chat. In fact, I encourage you to regularly share some of your "sea stories" with us. We would be privileged to learn of your take on the events aboard LST-325 while sailing back to the USA from Greek shores. Share some of those seemingly unimportant happenings that transpired among the Gold Crew. We're interested! Also, all of us who have volunteered aboard 325 certainly hold the Gold Crew in high regards - without you sailors none of us would be able to share the ship's important history with our visitors - important history of a ship and it's crew that helped save the world from domination of evil forces in WWII. In closing, you and your shipmates are greatly appreciated for your sacrifices and devotion to LST-325. Well done and God Bless!
P.S. I was a tour guide and Chief of Protocol a few years back but had to leave the ship due to illness. Visited briefly last week and may be able to resume guiding soon.

January 16th, 2012, 2:22 am #4

My 'spare' time has been very precious since last October. With Presidential elections around the corner in Ohio, new election laws and procedures to work out, adding some new staff and having two long time employees very ill, I don't know where the time goes. I'm hoping the first of April will see some free time and I'm looking forward to seeing information posted about work week! I think I may actually make that, this year! (I may even needlegun some paint for you!) Thanksgiving and Christmas were a blur - even with just my brother and I.

Dom.. please don't stop posting. Do you know how thrilled we all are when you, Rocky, Captain or one of the others get on here and share with us? I have learned a great deal from all of you; a precious gift indeed. That said, there is a LOT that I don't know about and you and other veterans are the perfect people to teach me and others!

You and Dottie are pretty special, you know?

Belated Anniversary wishes to all of my Gold Crew buddies... I love each and every one of you! Those that have passed, may God rest their souls and may they be finding smooth seas and following winds! As Wanda and Bob stated, we wouldn't have the 325 without all of you!

January 17th, 2012, 4:45 pm #5

Hey! Donk. I agree with you.We are not forgotten.Please do not stop posting.I have slowed up on my posting but I will continue when something of interest to me comes up. We both can tell a lot of sea srories which are true,like the one storm when we were in the Mediterraneon. I was on watch in the Main Engine room, the starboard engine was broke down and the old girl was rolling and pitching like crazy. I was walking around the Port engine looking for oil leaks etc. When the old girl pitched and caught me off balance and threw me part way into the bilges, catching my buns between two valves and skinning my left shin badly from knee to ankle and my left foot was down in the bilges. I finally forced my way out from between the two valves and went to the front of the Port engine and was checking the damage to my shin. when I felt terrific heat on my back. The ship had rolled so badly that the salt water cooling had come out of the water and sucked air which caused the engine to overheat. we were about to loose this engine. Whiting from topside saw from the exhaust that we were in truuble and immediatly came down and we induced fire line water into the engine and bled off the air from the pump which got the cooling operating again. Close call. Rocky

January 17th, 2012, 6:35 pm #6

Rocky I remember your incident well,do you remember when I was handleing pumping of the haft alleys& security of the ship? do you remember when the control box went out for the pump I had down in starboard shaft alley well could not find parts to repair it so what we did was cut service cable on box on port side & I would reconnect it on which ever side I goning to pumpI would double check make sure power was off then I would pump the water turn power off diconnect wire nuts haul control box up & go pump the other side this was done every hr. I remember the first time I did this & met you at top htach from tank deck you looked at me & asked what the hell I doing w/control box then I explained it to you. Remember we only had enough crew to stand watches & I handled this detail myself Skipper wanted to give me a releif ,I told him if I needed one I would let him know. The Xmas card I got from Don Lockas he mentioned where I caught my naps that was on and old lounge chair location was where our plaque is with gold crew names on port side as you come up from tank deck. I did not want to miss to pump every hr. if I would have got in sack I may have over slept. that was why I wrote date & time on the bulk head on starboard& Port side. Well thank God we made it home. Pop
( Excuse my spelling & two finger typing)

January 18th, 2012, 5:50 am #7

Yes I remember that. Also we could write a whole history book on that trip. I also type with two fingers and mispell words so it would take us forever to write it. Take care old shipmate. Rocky

January 18th, 2012, 1:17 pm #8

Really and truely you "gentlemen" should write a history of the trip back from Souda Bay.

That would be a great time to get together and reminess. I for one and there are a lot of others that will always thank you gentlemen for bring the "T" back home where she belongs.

I truly hope that you, Dominick, do not stop writing on the Chat Page. I also hope that you and your wife have a great New Year and come back to see the ship this year for any reason.

January 19th, 2012, 3:54 am #9

Yes I remember that. Also we could write a whole history book on that trip. I also type with two fingers and mispell words so it would take us forever to write it. Take care old shipmate. Rocky
Thanks for the memories you're sharing, Dom and Rocky! I had never heard this before! How on earth you all could do such work and keep the engines running with almost no parts amazes me. I think it was just sheer will - the strength of purpose you all had to get her home! Snipes RULE! (And my deck ape buddies are pretty special too!)

How did you both feel when you were in the middle of the Atlantic, trying to get her home? Was it like the time you were in the service? I'm sure you were both longing for your girls at home - Dottie and Diane. Just like in WWII, you didn't get mail! (Were there packages waiting when you got to the Caribbean port? Thank goodness you had some means of communication via the radio shack. That was precious time though, due to duties of the voyage itself.

I still think of and watch the video that Ron shared. That along with your stories give us a better idea of what you did and your determination.

Where on earth did you get a lounge chair? I'm sure you couldn't take that on an airplane when you flew to Greece! Was it one of your purchases overseas? Or left from the Greek Navy?

January 20th, 2012, 1:59 am #10

Sue if you did not hear it before but when our auxilary engines were down & we had no power we were dead in the water then when they were up & running we did a 360 to get back on course this happened so many times never botherer to count, that chair was gift from Greek LST tied next to us that we were getting what parts we needed it was well worn. Dom