Charlie Lawrence

Charlie Lawrence

February 12th, 2010, 4:44 pm #1

I am sad to report that Charlie Lawrence passed away last night. I do not have any funeral details. Charlie is at the Pierre Funeral Home at 2601 W. Franklin St., Evansville Indiana.

Larry

February 12th, 2010, 7:19 pm #2

Would it be appropriate to wear our covers to the funeral?

David Coker

February 12th, 2010, 9:48 pm #3

I think wearing a 325 cover to the funeral would and should be a personal choice. For you folks out of town who might not know Charlie, Charlie was a retired school teacher here in Evansville. He was a very active tour guide and had a world of information regarding the tours he gave. Charlie would also go to schools and make presentations regarding the history of the 325 as well as other LST's. Charlie fell ill about two years ago and through it all, remained a tour guide through the summer and fall of 2009. Charlie will be missed by all who knew him and his knowledge and humor.

Larry Hahn

February 13th, 2010, 12:11 am #4

Would it be appropriate to wear our covers to the funeral?

David Coker
This really saddens me - Charlie was a good egg. I was impressed when he kept volunteering even after his health problems became severe. Although I didn't know him as well as I would have liked; I always enjoyed talking to him about teaching, etc. when he was fishing off the gangway between giving tours. He will absolutely be missed.

February 13th, 2010, 12:19 am #5

I think wearing a 325 cover to the funeral would and should be a personal choice. For you folks out of town who might not know Charlie, Charlie was a retired school teacher here in Evansville. He was a very active tour guide and had a world of information regarding the tours he gave. Charlie would also go to schools and make presentations regarding the history of the 325 as well as other LST's. Charlie fell ill about two years ago and through it all, remained a tour guide through the summer and fall of 2009. Charlie will be missed by all who knew him and his knowledge and humor.

Larry Hahn
Visitation for Charlie Lawrence is, Sunday, Feb. 14, 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 pm.

Funeral service will be Monday, 10:00 a.m., at the Funeral Home.

Larry

February 13th, 2010, 2:31 pm #6

This really saddens me - Charlie was a good egg. I was impressed when he kept volunteering even after his health problems became severe. Although I didn't know him as well as I would have liked; I always enjoyed talking to him about teaching, etc. when he was fishing off the gangway between giving tours. He will absolutely be missed.
are deeply saddened by the passing of Charlie. We would spend a lot of time talking to Charlie whenever he came down to the ship. He was always so hiped up after he gave a tour or a talk at one of the schools. It is so sad we are starting to loose these wonderful men. May God Bless!!! Charlie, you are definately in a better place now.

Love,

Tammy & Garry Hisel

February 13th, 2010, 2:32 pm #7

I am sad to report that Charlie Lawrence passed away last night. I do not have any funeral details. Charlie is at the Pierre Funeral Home at 2601 W. Franklin St., Evansville Indiana.

Larry
Larry for letting us know of the passing of Charlie. He sure was a good guy.

February 15th, 2010, 1:07 am #8

and a really dedicated volunteer. I remember early last year when we were in Evansville, Ray.. even though he didn't feel the best, he was there for the ship. Didn't he even do a couple of tours? He loved the ship and he loved history. The ship was blessed to have him!

May God grant peace and strength to his family. I think of Charlie, checking out that big LST up above.

February 22nd, 2010, 1:18 am #9

Larry for letting us know of the passing of Charlie. He sure was a good guy.
Just to let everybody know, Charlie's daughter, a twin, gave birth to twins in the last couple of days. Twins run in the family, which is obvious, as there are also twin boy's in the family. It is sad Charlie isn't here to be with his daughter and the new twins as I know he would have been very proud.

Larry