Changes on the stern

Changes on the stern

November 19th, 2006, 3:30 am #1

Just to let everyone know that has not been on board lately, some recognition is needed to some activity on the stern area of the ship.... Someone\somebodies have been hard at work chipping and priming the stern port gun mount and major chipping and cleaning has been done to the stern anchor winch.... I know the some of names of the people responsible for this activity but so I do not make anyone mad by leaving out a name I will not list any names.....

BUT I DO HAVE TO SAY THE WORK COMPLETED LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up and I hope you get to complete it before the weather closes in to stop the work...

November 19th, 2006, 4:39 am #2

I checked with Pete Crasher, the ship's maintenance foreman. Pete and Ray Cashen are in charge of the ship's daily maintenance here in Evansville. Both do a fantastic job.

Pete supplied these names for credit on the stern improvements

(in no particular order)
Doug Myers
Ed Duncan
Sherry Witt
Fred Johnson
Roy Lee
Larry Hahn
Allen Springer
Marvin Oeth
Shirl Gambrel
Jim Kleiman

And then I will add Pete and Ray, of course. Both have done a tremendous amount of work not only on the stern but throughout the ship.

If we missed someone, let us know.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on November 23rd, 2006, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm #3

Just to let everyone know that has not been on board lately, some recognition is needed to some activity on the stern area of the ship.... Someone\somebodies have been hard at work chipping and priming the stern port gun mount and major chipping and cleaning has been done to the stern anchor winch.... I know the some of names of the people responsible for this activity but so I do not make anyone mad by leaving out a name I will not list any names.....

BUT I DO HAVE TO SAY THE WORK COMPLETED LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up and I hope you get to complete it before the weather closes in to stop the work...
I don't know if I ever posted these or not (but better twice than not at all) so for anyone who hasn't seen the ol' girl in awhile, I went back through photos taken this year to give you folks some perspective of the great progress being made on the stern that Garry is talking about:

Here's the port side aft 20mm gun mount, this photo taken September 2006

The starboard side aft 20mm mount looked about the same when we were there previously. When we arrived back in September it had been chipped of paint and rust, primed and partially painted, and was really beginning to take shape:

And here she is all finished by the time LST week was over with the gun remounted (Fred says the gun is heavy!)It probably would haved been completed a day earlier except I made the mistake of painting the rail the gun slides onto and Doug, bless his little heart, had to scrape the paint off. Just goes to show you if it's standing still and I have a paintbrush in my hand, the odds are its gonna get painted. So if you are ever on board when I'm there, don't stand around too long unless you enjoy looking good in haze or deck gray :

November 23rd, 2006, 3:08 am #4

I checked with Pete Crasher, the ship's maintenance foreman. Pete and Ray Cashen are in charge of the ship's daily maintenance here in Evansville. Both do a fantastic job.

Pete supplied these names for credit on the stern improvements

(in no particular order)
Doug Myers
Ed Duncan
Sherry Witt
Fred Johnson
Roy Lee
Larry Hahn
Allen Springer
Marvin Oeth
Shirl Gambrel
Jim Kleiman

And then I will add Pete and Ray, of course. Both have done a tremendous amount of work not only on the stern but throughout the ship.

If we missed someone, let us know.
How about Ed and JACK (the boston boys)