Captain Bob

Captain Bob

February 17th, 2009, 4:12 am #1

I follow the current LST 325 controversy with dismay. I call the 325 the 3 Ns; she is a nursery, a nuthouse, and a nursing home. She has attracted such a wide range of personalities, people with a variety of quirks, experience, and/or lack of experience, that a conflict such as the current one is inevitable. Too many crotchety old men in one place will lead to fussing.

I volunteered to assist the vessel when I had no idea what the 325 was or what she represented. I have volunteered and spent money for a boat that was based on another group of mens vision and dreams.

I have witnessed a group of volunteers in Mobile persevere and succeed against many odds. The pessimists abounded in the early years when the vessel was berthed at Hooks terminal and had I listened to these vocal people spouting their pessimism, I would have thought the vessel would never become the traveling museum that the Captain, Boats, the rest of the Gold crew, and Kenny and Anna envisioned.

Evansville received a fully operational vessel that had already completed a successful voyage to Boston and back to Mobile. The hard part of the 325 adventure had already been completed, which was proving that the 325 could become a traveling museum.

In my opinion, Bob has his quirks just as the rest of us. He also has the required charisma, mixed with a good understanding of machinery, with a large dose of common sense, necessary to keep the LST 325 experience alive and growing.

I hope that the disgruntled volunteers, as well as Bob, will swallow some pride, for the good of the 325. The Evansville volunteers have put a lot of hard work and performed greatly, but for a group of people to think that by departing they will change the command is unfortunate. Loyalty is deep and there is a large group of people out here who back Bob. If one thinks Bob has a sharp tongue, they havent been properly ripped a new one by Boats.

Carl

February 17th, 2009, 8:53 pm #2

I WANT SAY AMAN
WE ALL HAVE OUR FAULTS
ELLIS

February 17th, 2009, 11:42 pm #3

I follow the current LST 325 controversy with dismay. I call the 325 the 3 Ns; she is a nursery, a nuthouse, and a nursing home. She has attracted such a wide range of personalities, people with a variety of quirks, experience, and/or lack of experience, that a conflict such as the current one is inevitable. Too many crotchety old men in one place will lead to fussing.

I volunteered to assist the vessel when I had no idea what the 325 was or what she represented. I have volunteered and spent money for a boat that was based on another group of mens vision and dreams.

I have witnessed a group of volunteers in Mobile persevere and succeed against many odds. The pessimists abounded in the early years when the vessel was berthed at Hooks terminal and had I listened to these vocal people spouting their pessimism, I would have thought the vessel would never become the traveling museum that the Captain, Boats, the rest of the Gold crew, and Kenny and Anna envisioned.

Evansville received a fully operational vessel that had already completed a successful voyage to Boston and back to Mobile. The hard part of the 325 adventure had already been completed, which was proving that the 325 could become a traveling museum.

In my opinion, Bob has his quirks just as the rest of us. He also has the required charisma, mixed with a good understanding of machinery, with a large dose of common sense, necessary to keep the LST 325 experience alive and growing.

I hope that the disgruntled volunteers, as well as Bob, will swallow some pride, for the good of the 325. The Evansville volunteers have put a lot of hard work and performed greatly, but for a group of people to think that by departing they will change the command is unfortunate. Loyalty is deep and there is a large group of people out here who back Bob. If one thinks Bob has a sharp tongue, they havent been properly ripped a new one by Boats.

Carl
Carl, It was good to see your post. It was great working with you in the past. I look forward to working with you again. Sid

February 18th, 2009, 1:46 am #4

Carl
The first time I met you, you told me that you had wanted to meet me because of the writing I did. I want to tell you that you just did some pretty fine writing of your own. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Thank you for posting. It is deeply appreciated.

February 18th, 2009, 8:50 am #5

Carl
Current volunteers have done a lot to raise the quality of restoration and condition of the ship. The early volunteers in Evansville have a better perspective than later ones on how the condition of the ship has changed.
Yet the volunteers down at Hooks working in the Gulf heat or riding out a hurricane, and making the ship reliably operational and up to standards, have a different picture still of how far the ship has come. The operation of fans that are now taken for granted had to be repaired and made operational.
Then, in the beginning, let us consider the Gold Crew were faced with a true wreck headed for the bone yard. Not what they expected! They put in some real hell hours in incredible conditions not knowing if they were going to make it home at all, let alone with the ship. I cringed at what they were facing. They have a different perspective and full awareness of how far the ship has come. It all started with their vision, investment of cash and sweat, and determination to have a fully functioning museum ship. They don't want to see any retrograde motion or emotion. Now the project by observation of progress reports, seems to have raised itself to considerations of quality of restoration, preservation, and display to the public. It seems to have advanced beyond the survival level to perhaps, dare we hope for, at times even the nit picking level. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. Is it getting to be a real Navy ship again? All will be well as long as eyes are kept on what the original goal was.
Check out some of the early reports. The preservation of history became in itself, history.

February 18th, 2009, 2:33 pm #6

Well said. Many hard working people would agree with you. Yes, the group of volunteers that took over when the ship made its home port in Evansville did and continue to do a fantastic job. They continued the job that was started and the ship shows the results. Those of us that have had the privilege of working on the ship in both ports know it is an on going process and the ship needs and demands the TLC it has been getting. In Navy terms: now hear this, "all hands turn to and make this Veterans Memorial a place where history comes alive for all Americans."

February 18th, 2009, 3:49 pm #7

Thank you gentlemen for recognizing the work results of the Evansville volunteers. We have made every effort to improve the condition of LST 325 while she has been in Evansville. We would like to continue our work.

February 19th, 2009, 5:07 pm #8

Carl
Carl: great hearing from you and getting your input No one aboard the old gal knew who you were or where you came from I am sure it did not btake us long to find out what your capability to get some thing done I recall how you worked with customs, the Coast guard and and other branches. to move us along there was no time lost and you have been with us all the way and the other person I need to mention is Capt. Hal Pierce. there was a great deal of worrk done in Mobile while at Hooks Terminal as is being done in Evansville. It is all hard work I remember when we entering Mobile The Skipper told me Perruso secure all the heads and no water over board wow what a tall order that was imagine us old guys that had a problem well we did over come that( I will not mention how) well the Skipper turned me over to to engineering officer from Coast guard and wanted to inspect our plumbing I just looked at the Skipper and went down below to show him around then he wanted to know where our sewege disposal system was I looked at him and resonded Son this ship is Vintage when we served on them you discharged over board and that is what we did aon trip homeno more was said and we did get to dock in mobile but then we had porta potties available. We had a dispoasal system donated to us and skipper transported it ti Mobile it was put down below and sat on tank deck near laundry well when ever I would check chat line and there was sots of tank deck I would notice that Sewage plant had not move from the place where it was in I then contacted Carbin fowkes, Jim McAndre and we went to Mobile and spent th month of March setting up and conecting sewage system plus a great deal of soil lines were replaced. Yes Carl you are correct it takes aa lot workand dedication thats what it is all about whith out that the old gal would not be in as good ofg condition as she is now. By the way Carl you have been rather quite ? did you by chance get married? Dominick R. Perruso

February 20th, 2009, 12:26 am #9

Thank you Dom - you always add such interesting stories & they really help fill in the gaps with the LST-325 "Rescue Mission". I'm sure you guys were so busy & tired there wasn't much opportunity to write things down so it is great to have them now. The video Ron Maranto recorded made me sea sick but it really showed the desolation of being alone in the ocean ~ not in a convoy surrounded by other ships either, but all on your lonesome braving whatever Mother Nature sent your way! Your XO Jackson Carter did a fine job of posting those Progress Reports and they kept all the folks at home so enthused over your progress. I feel very fortunate to know this history and perhaps those who don't, should go back to the Logs and read all the other early postings to really appreciate what this ship represents. . . it's quite a story and please keep adding yours to this D-page!

February 20th, 2009, 3:01 am #10

These remembrances are what help us understand what our Veterans went through to allow us to live the lives that we do today!