Board decision

Board decision

June 24th, 2008, 1:20 am #1

RE: Article/Letter in the US LST Association News Paper (May-June 2008)

The Ad Hoc committee is trying to find out if some things may have been done out of order by the US LST Association. It appears the LST Memorial board of directors has seen fit to find someone guilty before all of the facts are brought in by that committee.
If any organization has ever cut off their nose to spite their face (or trying to save face), it’s the USS LST 325 SHIP Memorial board of directors with the recent cancellation of the membership of the President of the US LST Association. How can you pick one member out of a Board of Directors group and cancel his/her Memorial Membership and not include all the other board of director members who have supported things you didn’t like or who didn’t support things you wanted them to support? Was canceling all of the past and present US LST Association board members considered as well? From what I’ve heard the votes by the US LST Association board members against the LST Memorial requests were pretty much unanimous

Who will be next to be kicked off the Memorial Membership rolls. Does writing an opinion like this constitute grounds for it?

Now I’m sure if there is a rebuttal concerning my comments they will include a list of all the lies they (USLST) said or supposedly said or printed. Surely the actions of the board can be justified, or can they?

June 24th, 2008, 2:17 am #2

If I might ask a question, what has this got to do with the LST 325 Memorial? Just curious.

June 24th, 2008, 2:54 am #3

The Ad Hoc committee is trying to find out if some things may have been done out of order by the US LST Association. It appears the LST Memorial board of directors has seen fit to find someone guilty before all of the facts are brought in by that committee.
If any organization has ever cut off their nose to spite their face (or trying to save face), it’s the USS LST 325 SHIP Memorial board of directors with the recent cancellation of the membership of the President of the US LST Association. How can you pick one member out of a Board of Directors group and cancel his/her Memorial Membership and not include all the other board of director members who have supported things you didn’t like or who didn’t support things you wanted them to support? Was canceling all of the past and present US LST Association board members considered as well? From what I’ve heard the votes by the US LST Association board members against the LST Memorial requests were pretty much unanimous

Who will be next to be kicked off the Memorial Membership rolls. Does writing an opinion like this constitute grounds for it?

Now I’m sure if there is a rebuttal concerning my comments they will include a list of all the lies they (USLST) said or supposedly said or printed. Surely the actions of the board can be justified, or can they?
I hope that you understand that I for one, prefer not to have a huge heated debate on this forum. Everyone has a right to speak their mind.. and to ask questions.

Although I am not a Veteran (I DO have the utmost respect for all of you and what you have accomplished), I just don't want to see any volatile discussions here. May I suggest that you contact one of the Board Members?

Thanks for your service... I do sincerely appreciate it.

June 25th, 2008, 1:52 am #4

I go aboard the LST. I chip paint, I fix things. I paint things. I gripe about the heat. I gripe about the cold. But I love it. No time for political discussions. I just like being there.

bp

June 25th, 2008, 2:19 am #5

Very good advise for the Memorial Board of Directors. You set a fine example.

Thanks for what you're doing for the ship.

June 25th, 2008, 4:27 am #6

JCL (Strata) You seem to find a lot of fault with little or no facts to even have a right to comment on the President of uslst, what we (LST 325 Board) did; or what has gone on with the Ad-Hoc committee. Our decision which was based on our by-laws -- anyone who has or is detrimental to the LST Memorial, the ship, its goals, or its mission, can be refused membership or have his membership canceled. You have accused us of acting before the evidence is in? Our action had nothing to do with the Ad-Hoc request for financial information, which they are entitled to, under the law. The fact is they refused to let the USLST books be looked at, refused the 990 IRS forms for several years, which is in violation of non-profit corporation rules set by the IRS. I know who is the dictator in the national organization, don't you? Probably not! In the future try and call me or another board member before you run off about haif cocked on this discussion page. Bob Jornlin

June 25th, 2008, 1:13 pm #7

Also Mr. JCL you should know that up to two years ago there was not ONE US LST Board member who was also a member of the Memorial -- not one of the leaders of the national LST organization! Two years ago one board member asked me if he could belong to the Memorial, and I said yes. He is still a member. The National board vote was 5 to 4 against meeting with the LST Memorial and the Ad Hoc committee and discuss the differences and resolve the issues. So you see there are some US LST board members who think differently. Mr. Gunjak, I have been told made the deciding vote. If all you have read is the Scuttlebut, you have been given a very one-sided story. Bob Jornlin

June 26th, 2008, 2:40 pm #8

I sense you feel that I am uninformed about the ongoing situation between the US LST Association and the LST Memorial. I’m quite informed and not just reading the US LST Scuttlebutt for my information. Yesterday I received copies of the most recent correspondence between the legal representatives of the US LST Association and the Ad Hoc Committee. It’s turned into a battle of lawyers and wording used by the legal society. Is it a vendetta or are they (Ad Hoc) just searching for information? Is the BOD of the US LST Association involved in this jostle? Surely they are, and for whatever reason they have, they only want to provide exactly what the AD Hoc Committee asks for an nothing more. If a lawyer asks for your bank records, you don’t automatically give them your credit card and telephone records. You supply them your bank records, period.

The LST Memorial membership as with the US LST membership has always been open to those who served in the amphibious forces or along with them. I can only surmise that the reason you were asked by a BOD member of the US LST Association, could he be a member, was due to the animosity between the two organizations. Certainly you want members for the LST Memorial, but you should not look unfavorably upon those who choose not to be members of both groups. It could be a monetary reason, especially if you belong to your state’s, your ship’s, the Memorial, The US LST, the VFW, The American Legion, and the list goes on.

Even with my questions about how some things are said and done by the LST Memorial and the US LST Association, I continue to support the organizations. I have not torn up my membership card for either. Neither has kicked me out for my letters, writings and opinions. If you feel my postings and opinions are in the vein of the Memorial By Law 3.13 (5) let me know and I’ll furnish my name so you can rescind my membership and ability to board the LST 325.

I cannot see the benefit of rescinding the membership of Gunjak. Twenty dollars lost and very bad front page publicity obtained.

June 26th, 2008, 7:18 pm #9

JCL, I was always told, if you want to make a name for yourself and downgrade a worthwhile organization, do it on an open forum so everyone can see how bitter you have become.

You continue to hamper good will and friendship by your never ending negitive posts.

The things you are talking about have little or no intrest but to a few individules.

It makes no sense to keep stirring up the possible rift that a few individules may have between groups, trying to get the last word.

Why not find something positive to say about any or all of the orgainzations and if you can't get along with any of them, why say anything.

If you have a problem with our board of directors, e-mail them and work it out with them and not in an open forum.

For once I would like to see you as a positive influence working to solve a problem and not being a part of it.

This messege is the opinoin of the writer who is solely responsible for it's content.

LH

June 26th, 2008, 10:40 pm #10

Mr. JCL -- I agree with Larry and Susan that one you just like to talk, make trouble, and throw around misinformation and this is not the place for this discussion. Please write to me at the ship and I will give you a copy of one of the 50 letters I have written on this problem. You have used words like (surely and surmise) making it evident that you don't really know, but like to give your opinion. No, we are not involved with the Ad-Hoc committee. We only agree with them 100%. I or none of the board are on the committee. The Ad-Hoc committee is made up of US LST ASSOCIATION members. All are presidents and or officers of their state LST chapters or were Officers. These men are of the highest quality, morel, respected and really good people. They have not deserved the bad treatment they have received from the National. They have deserved support from all LST Veterans, but have received only a small amount. I am not a member and cannot sign a petition. After fighting a war, I guess the fight has gone out of most of the National members. I am surprised and disappointed.

You have no idea why the board member called me -- and your opinion as to it being the animosity is also wrong. He and I have talked many times and continue to do so. I like him and because he calls me half the time, there is no animosity between us and none between him and the Memorial board. Actually what he wanted to know was the levels of membership in the Memorial and the dollar amount for each, and a membership form.

Then you say "You should not look unfavorable on persons that do not belong to the Memorial" Thanks Dad. I do not look unfavorable at them because they do not belong. You asked if we were going to cancel all of the National's board memberships in the Memorial. I only explained that there was only one, and two years before not a one. Yes, I wonder why they would not all be members. Do they not want us to succeed? Again you come up with a very flimsy excuse -- could the reason they don't belong be monetary? The Memorial has 9 board members elected by the membership. All voted to cancel Mr. Gunjak's membership. Can they all be stupid? According to you they are! Do you think maybe there must be a reason the board acted like it did?

The last big one -- you have not torn up a membership card! Trust me if you knew the facts you would tear up the National's card and call the Ad-Hoc committee and give them a donation. All you need to do is look at what the National does: Membership, Convention, and Newspaper. Add to that the fact you have no vote and they will refuse you the right to examine their books and hire a lawyer on top of it!

Then look at what the Memorial has done: Brought back LST 325, Restored LST 325, Taken it on tour to 18 cities, showed it to thousands and thousands of children, vets, widows, sons and daughters. Have told the important role of LSTs and the men who manned them. Featured in TWO History Channel documentaries. LCVPs used in "Flags of Our Fathers", The Memorial alone has raised the esteem of LSTs to one of the "Hero Ships". Publishes a newsletter three times a year. hold an LST WEEK and give LST Vets one more ride on an LST and in an LCVP! We have done that with no help from your National, including refusing to hold their Convention in Evansville. and the LST has had no Government money! We are also in the black. We have had people from all 50 states tour the ship and from many foreign countries. If they come from 50 miles a way to Evansville -- they come to tour LST 325. The membership choice is quite clear. Case closed
Bob Jornlin