Arleigh Burke

Arleigh Burke

February 13th, 2009, 1:56 am #1

is one of the Naval Heros of note. His achievements during WWII are many, but I came across this award this evening. Now I know why I admired him!!!

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/man ... mphpac.htm

February 13th, 2009, 1:18 pm #2

Sue The Arleigh Burke was sent to replace the USS Cole and she came into port while we were in garbartar for repairs on the way home she was tied up across the bay from 325 as soonas she was secured the crew that was was free came acros and boarded the old gal those young sailors could not wait to talk to us old salts and tour the 325 wnen thier aofficers came aboard they invited over for the of the Arleigh Burke and also to sit dowm andshare a meal with them.ann when we cast off a few days later which turned into a late departeure after waiting for fuel they wereon the bull horns and had lights trained on us wishing us a safe voyage and Merr y Christmas and happy New Year Dom

February 13th, 2009, 1:52 pm #3

Dom...

It had to be a thrill for those young Sailors and for you, the Gold Crew! After being away from home for months, getting the 325 ready for her sail across the Atlantic in winter, doing heavy physical labor - it was like having family for a send off! Then the crowds in Mobile to welcome you all home, it had to reinforce the fact that you were making history!

Those guys on the Arleigh Burke were prime examples of honoring history - just as you fellows were!

Thanks for bringing the ship back to us to provide us with a Memorial to all LST and Amphib Sailors!

February 13th, 2009, 4:48 pm #4

Sue The Arleigh Burke was sent to replace the USS Cole and she came into port while we were in garbartar for repairs on the way home she was tied up across the bay from 325 as soonas she was secured the crew that was was free came acros and boarded the old gal those young sailors could not wait to talk to us old salts and tour the 325 wnen thier aofficers came aboard they invited over for the of the Arleigh Burke and also to sit dowm andshare a meal with them.ann when we cast off a few days later which turned into a late departeure after waiting for fuel they wereon the bull horns and had lights trained on us wishing us a safe voyage and Merr y Christmas and happy New Year Dom
that story before. How nice for both groups of men to meet up so far away, exchange invitations to see each other's "home", share a meal and bid a nice farewell. Great memories that need to be shared. I'm sure they are tucked away in all the men's hearts!

February 13th, 2009, 6:22 pm #5

Thanks for sharing this story Dom - I've enjoyed hearing all the G-Crew reminisces from the sojourn in Gibraltar & especially because the British were so accommodating and respectful of you WW-II (& Cold War) vets. They had not forgotten all you had sacrificed in the name of freedom & supported what you wanted to accomplish to bring this old warrior ship back home.

One of the most outstanding things I remember is Capt. Jornlin relating during one of his many impressive speaking engagements how your crew was told that LST-325 was ALWAYS welcome in ANY British port in the WORLD and that invitation was gratefully accepted during one additional detour at the British port of Nassau in the Bahamas.

Sometimes it is good to stop and reflect on everything this great ship represents so we can focus on what we all need to do to unselfishly support her mission and keep her steaming full speed ahead!

February 13th, 2009, 9:46 pm #6

Now you'll have to excuse me, I must have dust in my eye...

February 15th, 2009, 3:36 pm #7

Thanks for sharing this story Dom - I've enjoyed hearing all the G-Crew reminisces from the sojourn in Gibraltar & especially because the British were so accommodating and respectful of you WW-II (& Cold War) vets. They had not forgotten all you had sacrificed in the name of freedom & supported what you wanted to accomplish to bring this old warrior ship back home.

One of the most outstanding things I remember is Capt. Jornlin relating during one of his many impressive speaking engagements how your crew was told that LST-325 was ALWAYS welcome in ANY British port in the WORLD and that invitation was gratefully accepted during one additional detour at the British port of Nassau in the Bahamas.

Sometimes it is good to stop and reflect on everything this great ship represents so we can focus on what we all need to do to unselfishly support her mission and keep her steaming full speed ahead!
Pat just one more item about Gibralter i believe it was the second day in port the Governor of Gibralter came aboard ship we gave him full honor's with side boys and Boats piped him aboard. we were allin uniform and lined up and he and his family came up to each one of us and asked our name where we were from and also about our familyand he took his time he was a down to earth person I my self and I am sure the rest of crew valued this very much. I remember our 2003 river trip and our stop at Mud Island the Mayor O Memphis TN. was to come aboard to welcome us to his city , well to my knowlwdge he or any one from his city came aboard ( if I am wrong wold some one correct me? )Joe Milalovih and Corbin Foukes myself hung out together until Joe left in Evansville his wife was ill. then it was Corbin and I well when we were in Paducah KY. we went ashore on e night for ice cream which we were told was out of this world, it was well we sat on shore it was sort of stone steps leading up from the old gal where we were tied up ther were people rhat were there for hours on end we wondered if they were going to ever go home. Corbin and I were approaached by some residece of Paducah and then we found that we wetre talking to some people from city hall. the following day thier Mayor was to honor the old gal and crew I related the incident from Memphis. Thier Mayor did show and gave very great welcoming address honoring the old gal and crew. The Skipper recieved the the Duke of Paducah award. before we sailed the ice cream sore sent ice cream to load up our freezer.But all in all that 2003 River trip was great. Dominick R. Perruso