Another LST?

Another LST?

October 1st, 2010, 12:54 am #1

When I toured 325 in Pgh. I learned that LST 325 was the only seaworthy [I guess that's the correct word] in this country. In something I read or saw on the DVD I purchased or heard, alluded to the fact that there was another LST somewhere that was permanently moored or a stationary museum ship. Is this true?

October 1st, 2010, 2:25 am #2

It's the LST 393 in Muskegon, Mi. It was used for a ferry boat for about 26 years give or take and is an interesting ship to visit but has little or no military equipment on board and does not compair with the 325 for touring.

LH

October 1st, 2010, 2:36 am #3

When I toured 325 in Pgh. I learned that LST 325 was the only seaworthy [I guess that's the correct word] in this country. In something I read or saw on the DVD I purchased or heard, alluded to the fact that there was another LST somewhere that was permanently moored or a stationary museum ship. Is this true?
LST393 is located in Muskegon, MI. It was sold in 1947
and converted to a car ferry serving the Muskegon to
Milwaukee, WI crossing of Lake Michigan.

It had the bow doors welded together, large entry holes
in each side and a Deck #1 added between Main deck and
Tank deck. Guns were removed and the Bridge portholes
were changed to large square windows resembling that of
a commercial ship.

Still privately owned, and idle for over 25 years (not sure)
it attracted the interest of historic groups who were permitted
to repaint it in camoflage colors and open it for public tours.

It is located near the submarine USS Silversides.

October 1st, 2010, 3:19 am #4

In addition to LST 393, there are two 'former' LST's which are still afloat and still 'working' here in the U.S. (although they have been converted for other uses). The links below will take you to a picture of the heavily converted LST 510 (now the Cape Henlopen) which serves as a vehicle ferry up in Long Island, NY. The second link (scroll to bottom of page) is a picture of Dredge Columbia which is a converted LST (not sure which one) that operates keeping channels clear down in the Gulf of Mexico (the 325 passed this ship at least a couple of times while leaving Mobile Bay when we were home-ported there).

https://www.longislandferry.com/CommonHtml/f_C_Hen.html

http://www.trinityship.com/shipsinfo.html (scroll down to bottom of page)

October 1st, 2010, 4:16 am #5

Our sister ships reminds us

Here I set
Moored and alone
My looks have changed
My story has gone

I once was young
And in my prime
I could tell you heroic stories
From a far away different time.

Of days gone by
And battles fought
By brave young men
And the damage wrought

On shores far away
Where our brothers died
Where I delivered men and machines
Often stranded by the tide

Many such as I
Were later called away
Answering other duties
While others just faded away

Yes, I am just a shell
Of what I used to be
But a reminder of sacrifices
Made so you could be free.

My guns are all gone now
My engines finally rest
I answered the final muster
And bravely passed the test.

I may have later been called on
To carry cargo, people or cars
To do jobs completely different
From what I did in the wars,

You cant judge a book by its cover
Or a ship by the way she looks
Just stand on my deck and listen closely
I can tell you stories never put into books.

Yes, some of my sisters are gone now,
Some still get underway
We all try to tell the story
Of what it was like back in the day

When you cast your gaze upon me
Try to see past the rust and decay
Think of me as a hero
Who fought for your freedoms today.

BP
LST 325

October 1st, 2010, 4:22 am #6

And HERO SHIPS they are, Bob...

October 1st, 2010, 2:53 pm #7

LST393 is located in Muskegon, MI. It was sold in 1947
and converted to a car ferry serving the Muskegon to
Milwaukee, WI crossing of Lake Michigan.

It had the bow doors welded together, large entry holes
in each side and a Deck #1 added between Main deck and
Tank deck. Guns were removed and the Bridge portholes
were changed to large square windows resembling that of
a commercial ship.

Still privately owned, and idle for over 25 years (not sure)
it attracted the interest of historic groups who were permitted
to repaint it in camoflage colors and open it for public tours.

It is located near the submarine USS Silversides.
The bow doors have been unwelded. The entire exterior of the 393 was kneedle gunned before the current paint configuration. This took three years. The ship will never sail again as the city required fire protection and permanant pipeing with sprinklers have been installed. A lot of work has been done inside, the ward room is really well done, the Yoman office is nothing more than a table set up for crew eating. The original fueloil stove and oven is in place and is a beauty. The sick bay was on the starboard side of the ship instead of the port. All of the sleeping quarters along both sides of the ship have been removed. The engine room is well painted and easy access to it is on the port side where there is a stair case. Where the 325's access to the freezer/food pantry is, the original floor lay out remains but not complete. The radio room is nothing like the 325's and it is made up of two different rooms, one radar and one radio if my memory serves me correctly. There are no stairs coming out of the tank deck, just a ladder. One of the original washing machines remains. The ship has had a lot of financial problems including being repossesed by the owner who owns a sand and gravel business. Guns were replaced in front of the wheel house but were removed when the owner retook possession of the ship. At one time, there was a double deck on the tank deck and the floor could be raised half way up and she was able to carry more cars. Still, she is worth the visit. You can take a guided tour or a self guided tour. I think the entry price is $5.00.

lh

October 1st, 2010, 5:25 pm #8

Our sister ships reminds us

Here I set
Moored and alone
My looks have changed
My story has gone

I once was young
And in my prime
I could tell you heroic stories
From a far away different time.

Of days gone by
And battles fought
By brave young men
And the damage wrought

On shores far away
Where our brothers died
Where I delivered men and machines
Often stranded by the tide

Many such as I
Were later called away
Answering other duties
While others just faded away

Yes, I am just a shell
Of what I used to be
But a reminder of sacrifices
Made so you could be free.

My guns are all gone now
My engines finally rest
I answered the final muster
And bravely passed the test.

I may have later been called on
To carry cargo, people or cars
To do jobs completely different
From what I did in the wars,

You cant judge a book by its cover
Or a ship by the way she looks
Just stand on my deck and listen closely
I can tell you stories never put into books.

Yes, some of my sisters are gone now,
Some still get underway
We all try to tell the story
Of what it was like back in the day

When you cast your gaze upon me
Try to see past the rust and decay
Think of me as a hero
Who fought for your freedoms today.

BP
LST 325
Proud to say that when the 325 passed the Dredge Columbia in Mobile Bay at the start of the 2005 Atlantic Cruise - Bruce Voges had the crew man the rail and render passing honors to this sister LST.

October 2nd, 2010, 12:43 pm #9

This confusion keeps coming up over and over. LST 325 is the ONLY World War two LST in near original Navy configuration just like it came out of the yard in Oct of 1942. It is the only running Navy museum ship, unless you count the USS Constitution. There may well be one or two in foreign countries, condition unknown. I have been on both LSTs mentioned, both have been altered extensively. The Columbia, if I had little knowledge of what an LST looked like, I could not have determined that it was an LST! On our way into Mobile on Jan 10, 2001, The Columbia came on the radio and said "bring the 325 over here by us, we need parts!"
The 393 is definately worth visiting if you get to Michigan. Of particular interest is the stairways to the engine rooms and other commercial alterations.

October 5th, 2010, 3:27 pm #10

I certainly did not want to cause a "ruckus" when asking about other LST's. I only visited 325 recently on its visit to Pittsburgh. Knowing what I know & that sure is little (I'm a retired airplane mechanic), in viewing other pictures of the "Columbia" & the ships converted to car carriers I would've never guessed they were LST's. I thank everyone who set me on the straight & narrow with answering my original question. I do know that if one was to visit an LST------ 325 is the one to see. I hope that the Pittsburgh turnout was good enough for you all to consider a return visit. The ship, unquestionably, is as close to it's original USN configuration as possible.