Another example of the LST Workhorse in Action

Another example of the LST Workhorse in Action

February 19th, 2007, 1:11 am #1

Today Fred and I went shopping and he purchased season 1 of "Combat" on DVD.

We just started watching the very first episode. Very close to the beginning they show LCT 780 being launched into the water off the main deck of an LST. Can't make out the number of the LST although it appears to be a two davit ship.

Pretty neat thing to watch. Also the LST appears to have a gangway midships from the main deck to the 01 level.

February 19th, 2007, 3:37 am #2

Sherry,
I'm trying to visualize what you described as "gangway midships from the main deck to the 01 level," but can't because a "gangway" is an opening in the bulwarks or the rail of a ship to give entrance. Did you perhaps mean something like a ramp?

February 19th, 2007, 4:23 am #3

Bob, I think it is probably what we would refer to as a ladder......

February 19th, 2007, 12:15 pm #4

Sherry,
I'm trying to visualize what you described as "gangway midships from the main deck to the 01 level," but can't because a "gangway" is an opening in the bulwarks or the rail of a ship to give entrance. Did you perhaps mean something like a ramp?
Thanks, Bob and Don. I guess you would refer to it as a "ladder". A year ago I would have called it a "stairway". Took Fred correcting me a couple of times before I broke that habit

I'm still learning. Heck, I didn't even know what a turnbuckle was until I had to paint the ones on the bow doors last year.

Which brings me to a good question:

You have a ladder on a ship that has a run much like a stairway - at a 45 degree angle more or less and has steps. Then you have ladders that run straight up and down, perpendicular to a deck which have rungs. Are there different names for those two types of ladders?

This particular ladder in the Combat episode would be the 45 degree kind. I'm going to have to take a closer look at it. Did it run from the 01 deck down to the main deck, or the 02 deck down to main? Looked more like it would have to have been the 02 deck (the captain's cabin deck, if that's the 02) when I think about how long it appeared. But that doesn't make sense because it would partially block the vision of the helmsman. Hmmm...
Last edited by switt81555 on February 19th, 2007, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2007, 1:34 pm #5

ran from 01 to main deck on my ship, LST 528. I will have to search for a picture. It was between the tank deck exhausts and was steep enough that most guys climbed down facing the ladder. It may have been removed at some time in the early 1950s.

February 19th, 2007, 1:39 pm #6

Thanks, Bob and Don. I guess you would refer to it as a "ladder". A year ago I would have called it a "stairway". Took Fred correcting me a couple of times before I broke that habit

I'm still learning. Heck, I didn't even know what a turnbuckle was until I had to paint the ones on the bow doors last year.

Which brings me to a good question:

You have a ladder on a ship that has a run much like a stairway - at a 45 degree angle more or less and has steps. Then you have ladders that run straight up and down, perpendicular to a deck which have rungs. Are there different names for those two types of ladders?

This particular ladder in the Combat episode would be the 45 degree kind. I'm going to have to take a closer look at it. Did it run from the 01 deck down to the main deck, or the 02 deck down to main? Looked more like it would have to have been the 02 deck (the captain's cabin deck, if that's the 02) when I think about how long it appeared. But that doesn't make sense because it would partially block the vision of the helmsman. Hmmm...
Sherry, to answer your question, whether vertical or at a 45 degree angle they ar both ladders...

February 19th, 2007, 2:26 pm #7

Bob, I think it is probably what we would refer to as a ladder......
Don,
The reason I suggested Sherry's object discription might be a ramp was her placement: "midships (proper: amidships) to 01 level." As you know, "amidships" is the center of the ship. LST's have their superstructures on the aft approximate 1/3 of the ship. If her object questioned referred to a ladder, as you suggest, this would be a really long ladder with an angle that would define it as more of a ramp than a ladder. The whole question could be resolved by indicating exactly where the object began and ended, such as: "on the main deck, alongside the superstructure, reaching to the 01 level."
Thanks for your participation in our discussion and chat.