an email from France

an email from France

January 19th, 2008, 1:58 pm #1

Yesterday, I received the below email from a man in France. I answered back, of course, and told him we would love to see the photos. If I receive the photos I will post them. This is the email exactly as I received it:

Hello, I was a french boy of 6 years in august 1944 and I knew LST 325
when its was landed at Saint Michel en Grève, Bretagne. I have a personnal
photo of the ship.

Yours from Yves Kerempichon

January 19th, 2008, 2:36 pm #2

C'est magnifique! Tres bon!
Last edited by SeaBat on January 20th, 2008, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 19th, 2008, 4:27 pm #3

Yesterday, I received the below email from a man in France. I answered back, of course, and told him we would love to see the photos. If I receive the photos I will post them. This is the email exactly as I received it:

photo of the ship.

I received the photos from the man in France. I emailed him back and asked him to explain who the people are in the photos. One photo shows LST 519 sitting lonely and resting on the beach. A second photo shows the 519 and another LST but the number of this second LST cannot be read. Could this be the 325 he tells us about? A couple of girls are standing in front of this LST waving. Again, I have asked the Frenchman for an explaination and for his permission to post them on the website.

They are fascinating photos, and I will post them as soon as I hear back from the man.

January 20th, 2008, 4:29 pm #4

photo of the ship.

Below are the photos the man who emailed me from France sent. His name is Yves Kerempichon.

Here is his email explaining the photos, copied and pasted exactly as I received it: (I asked him to tell us who is in the photos)

Honestly I am not sure to be on the photos of the beach : my mother knew but she died in 1986. On the third photo I stay with my sister and my grandfather ( 73 old : he was catholic teacher in Quebec Province, Canada from 1890 to 1901 ). On our heads two US Navy white bonnets (?) given some days before by two lovely sailors. I have mine: inside its is possible to read :
COMSTOCH A.C. 387 Maybe can you find the author of this kindness ?
Our beach is a bay of 5 Km width of sand at low tide. Sometimes, from 11 august to 18 sept. we had together 10 LST: I can give you the numbers. The exact place is Saint Michel en Grève, Bretagne, not Cotentin ! See Google Earth.
Its ok for me to post these photos on your website. My grandfather : François ( dead 1948 ) and my sister : Geneviève lives in Paris. I am 69, Doctor retired 4 years ago. I am writing a book of souvenirs 1940-1944 during german Occupation ( we had one or two companies of Wehrmacht soldiers in Saint Michel ).
Glad to read you more
Yves

Here are the photos from his family album:

Yves is the boy on the left, here with his grandfather and sister. He still has the sailor cap. He is 69 years old now, a retired doctor.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on January 20th, 2008, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 20th, 2008, 4:49 pm #5

Mike... Didn't Arnie Ness serve on LST 387? Maybe he would be a point of contact for the research on Mr. Comstoch

January 20th, 2008, 4:51 pm #6

Not sure about Arnie, Seabat. But wouldn't it be neat if we could send Dr. Kerempichon some information about the sailor who gave him the hat.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on January 20th, 2008, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2008, 1:58 am #7

I checked the WWII list of crew from the 325, a friend checked his crew muster list from LST 137, and Mr. Comstoch does not appear on those. I'm still trying to look at the other LSTs reported during that time frame.

The 387 was torpedoed at Algiers and was receiving a new stern at Bizerte. Most of the surviving LST 387 crew were transferred to the 137 after the torpedo hit, but some went to other ships. The 387 eventually came back to the States and wasn't part of the invasion of Normandy.

Bob, I was wondering if you would check your grandfather's papers to see if he makes any mention of the 387's action at Algiers. I'm hoping there might be some clue there as well.

January 22nd, 2008, 4:30 pm #8

There was note about taking fitting's from a damaged ship

Bob R.

January 23rd, 2008, 12:02 pm #9

It's a long shot, but worth the effort to see if we can find Mr. Comstoch.

I have to think about the kindness shown to those two French children by one of our own in the midst of a terrible war. This is only one example of that kindness. How many gave of their rations or shared items they had received from home? There have to be a lot of similar stories.
Last edited by SeaBat on January 23rd, 2008, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2008, 8:16 pm #10

I too have heard many great stories about American G.I.s sharing what they have with locals when deploy to battle areas aboard.

And it is still happening. We send personal hygiene products to our daughter, Savannah, in Iraq at her request so she can share with the Iraqi teenagers who have no access to those things.

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on January 23rd, 2008, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.