An article from the news...

An article from the news...

June 24th, 2008, 11:03 pm #1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcb_china/20080 ... ormlooming

Did anything like this ever happen to any of you? How did you make it back to your ship?

June 24th, 2008, 11:32 pm #2

When I was in westPac and in port, there was NO overnight Liberty with a Typhoon threat. The only exception was only if only Leave. They will be flown out to a pickup point and picked up by their ship or flown back onboard on the COD or if close enough heloed backaboard.

June 24th, 2008, 11:50 pm #3

Did anything like this ever happen to any of you? How did you make it back to your ship?
Sea Bat - I noticed that the article stated the sailors spent their time in bars. What are those and why would a sailor be in one ?????????????????

Anybody out there remember the Bar Dragon in Yokosuka during the 55-56 WestPac tours???????

June 25th, 2008, 1:46 am #4

When I was in Hong Kong it was Cinderalla Liberty.
No comment about the bars.
Getting underway before a storm is the safest thing for the fleet.
They stand a much better chance underway than moored or anchored.

June 26th, 2008, 3:17 am #5

about the bars in Yokosuka... (It took me a lot longer to learn to pronounce it properly than it did for me to find it on the map....) I couldn't find anything about them... but Jim, can you tell us more????

It was interesting to see they have a power point on typhoon preparedness... Aren't computers great? Who would have thought??

I've heard many comments about typhoons during service times... the flag from LST 125 that hangs in the Evansville museum is tattered.. not from physical combat but from combat with Mother Nature.. a typhoon in the Fiji Islands. It shows the power of those storms that's for sure.

Anyone have recollections to share?

June 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm #6

type of things I love to read on this forum. It is interesting and lets everyone tell their stories. I would LOVE to see more of this on here. Have a story, please share with us, this is the way we learn things.

June 26th, 2008, 7:30 pm #7

about the bars in Yokosuka... (It took me a lot longer to learn to pronounce it properly than it did for me to find it on the map....) I couldn't find anything about them... but Jim, can you tell us more????

It was interesting to see they have a power point on typhoon preparedness... Aren't computers great? Who would have thought??

I've heard many comments about typhoons during service times... the flag from LST 125 that hangs in the Evansville museum is tattered.. not from physical combat but from combat with Mother Nature.. a typhoon in the Fiji Islands. It shows the power of those storms that's for sure.

Anyone have recollections to share?
SeaBat - Don't think the Yokosuka places of imbibing would be a proper place for this page of discussion...........Just thought some of the other Gators would remember.

Let's just say the Bar Dragon was a starting place, followed by an altercation at the Kanko Hotel with the arrival of the Shore Patrol cost me and another shipmate two weeks of Extra Duty from a Captain's Mast.
Running the Ship's Office as a Personnelman I did not see much of the deck force's places of interest. Two weeks of chipping paint in the Chain Locker was - let's just say, interesting.....

Ah - the lessons learned in youth!!!

And then there was the Ship's Party in Seattle after the 3 month Arctic Circle trip of 1956...........Another day, another story!!!

June 26th, 2008, 11:12 pm #8

I've seen the chain locker (and smelled it...) TWO WEEKS? Musta been some party, Jim!

I'm going to write a note to ask you about the other party at some point.. I hope you know that I won't forget. Smile.

Flt Tech likes us all to think he never frequented places like that.. but we all know better. Chris.. well, he doesn't speak about the pubs in England. He just grins.. and so we're AFRAID to ask about those...

June 27th, 2008, 1:57 am #9

SeaBat - Don't think the Yokosuka places of imbibing would be a proper place for this page of discussion...........Just thought some of the other Gators would remember.

Let's just say the Bar Dragon was a starting place, followed by an altercation at the Kanko Hotel with the arrival of the Shore Patrol cost me and another shipmate two weeks of Extra Duty from a Captain's Mast.
Running the Ship's Office as a Personnelman I did not see much of the deck force's places of interest. Two weeks of chipping paint in the Chain Locker was - let's just say, interesting.....

Ah - the lessons learned in youth!!!

And then there was the Ship's Party in Seattle after the 3 month Arctic Circle trip of 1956...........Another day, another story!!!
Old salts have a saying,
What happens on liberty, stays on liberty.

June 27th, 2008, 5:57 am #10

I've seen the chain locker (and smelled it...) TWO WEEKS? Musta been some party, Jim!

I'm going to write a note to ask you about the other party at some point.. I hope you know that I won't forget. Smile.

Flt Tech likes us all to think he never frequented places like that.. but we all know better. Chris.. well, he doesn't speak about the pubs in England. He just grins.. and so we're AFRAID to ask about those...
Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem (in Nottingham). This Inn is older than Rocky....1189 AD. The oldest pub in England. And that was long ago....1979. And remember, I told you those stories in confidence. I've got my reputation to think of!