Aircraft Recovery Masts/Booms and hook

Aircraft Recovery Masts/Booms and hook

April 29th, 2011, 5:50 am #1

The 325 was equiped with the 'Broady' (spelling) recovery system. Is there any old LST sailor that has good pictures or drawings of this assembly? I am building an LST to scale (1:160)and would like to add this "Different" feature.

Jim Craven
QMC(SW) USN, Ret.

Addition: I plan to build an LST 325 rigged with the Brodie system. If I get it done in time it will come with me when I visit her. The ship will be 24 1/2" long at a scale of 1:160. Still working on drawings to make this system look correct.
I already have a 11 plane 'squadron' of the L3/L4 observation plans built. Eight aircraft for the LST with a Flight Deck and the rest to show with the Brodie system.
Pictures do not post here so send an email if you want a peak.

JIM
Last edited by jascraven on May 1st, 2011, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2011, 5:12 am #3

The film clip was great as was the article. Thank you.
Still would love to drawings of the system so I may duplicate it onto a model of the 325.
I have already checked and awaiting a reply from Piper.
JIM

April 30th, 2011, 1:16 pm #4

The 325 was equiped with the 'Broady' (spelling) recovery system. Is there any old LST sailor that has good pictures or drawings of this assembly? I am building an LST to scale (1:160)and would like to add this "Different" feature.

Jim Craven
QMC(SW) USN, Ret.

Addition: I plan to build an LST 325 rigged with the Brodie system. If I get it done in time it will come with me when I visit her. The ship will be 24 1/2" long at a scale of 1:160. Still working on drawings to make this system look correct.
I already have a 11 plane 'squadron' of the L3/L4 observation plans built. Eight aircraft for the LST with a Flight Deck and the rest to show with the Brodie system.
Pictures do not post here so send an email if you want a peak.

JIM
Here is a link to what appears to be the patent of the Brodie device, including diagrams.

http://www.tartanpixel.com/raf/Patent_for_Brodie.pdf

Hope this helps - sometimes too many details can be almost as bad too few, but the diagram on the last page might be a good starting point.

Good luck - would love to see a photo of your LST model when it is complete.

Pamela Nelson
Last edited by PamelaNelson on April 30th, 2011, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2011, 4:31 pm #5

YEA!
The two replies should be of great help as I build the system. To all--- MANY THANKS. I shall post pictures of the unit when completed .... by june is the estm. completion target.

jim