A taste of the Fourth of July...

A taste of the Fourth of July...

July 5th, 2009, 5:16 pm #1

in Celina, OH at the Lake Freedom Festival with the Adams Clan and friends.

Among all of the Adams', they own over 20 Military Vehicles that either have been restored or are in the process of being restored. They are always willing to share them with veterans - taking pride in what the Veterans accomplished during their service times. Not just their own family's veterans, but ALL Veterans. It was great to see them all and to visit with many of those who were in attendance at the Freedom Festival.

The Grand Marshall and his better half... Marion and Fern. Marion was honored in TWO Fourth of July Parades.. one in Celina and the other in Troy, Ohio.

Cousins Fred and Sandra Scherer were there. Sandra was distraught that there was no galley to work in!

Our favorite clown and his beautiful family were there - It was good to see you Joey, and to meet the rest of your clan!

Getting ready to move out! (I didn't get any real parade photos as I was fortunate enough to get to ride in the halftrack! It was great to see all of the Veterans along the way and see them say "WOW!" as the vehicles rolled by)

Some vehicles decided to bypass the actual parade and make a grand entrance to the Festival Grounds...
Lee piloting the LCVP, Kenny and his DUWKS and Tom Price with his LVT. Those who were in the grounds waiting for the display set up really had a treat seeing these vehicles do their job in fine Amphib tradition!

The Adams' entourage....

And if any of you didn't notice, you'll see that we did plenty of advertising for our Grey Lady!

July 5th, 2009, 5:32 pm #2

Link and Ann in the background, Diana Spitler (a cousin to the Adams') talking to Marion

Part of the Festival grounds

Lee (and the rest of the vehicle operators) were doing serious business. While displaying them is fun and a great way to honor veterans, these are not toys.. they are serious equipment and machinery and their power is respected.

No day is complete without some fun on the water...

or sharing the history of service or vehicles.

A very big thanks to Kenny and Anna for providing an opportunity for so many people to share and experience these vehicles and their history. I know the people of the area around Celina were very appreciative to the Adams clan and friends who brought their equipment!

July 5th, 2009, 6:29 pm #3

What a neat bunch of pictures Seabat. Thanks for sharing with us. Did you get any pictures of my little pen pal?
Rocky

July 5th, 2009, 8:02 pm #4

In the first group of photos, the fourth one down, she's in the white T shirt with the red shorts... I was taking another much later in the day for you and the battery on my camera died... I recharged it that night, but never got another photo.. sorry Rocky! Maybe Anna got one she'll share.

She sure enjoyed the ice cream she and her friend put on your charge card!
Last edited by SeaBat on July 5th, 2009, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 6th, 2009, 3:30 am #5

Among all of the Adams', they own over 20 Military Vehicles that either have been restored or are in the process of being restored. They are always willing to share them with veterans - taking pride in what the Veterans accomplished during their service times. Not just their own family's veterans, but ALL Veterans. It was great to see them all and to visit with many of those who were in attendance at the Freedom Festival.

The Grand Marshall and his better half... Marion and Fern. Marion was honored in TWO Fourth of July Parades.. one in Celina and the other in Troy, Ohio.

Cousins Fred and Sandra Scherer were there. Sandra was distraught that there was no galley to work in!

Our favorite clown and his beautiful family were there - It was good to see you Joey, and to meet the rest of your clan!

Getting ready to move out! (I didn't get any real parade photos as I was fortunate enough to get to ride in the halftrack! It was great to see all of the Veterans along the way and see them say "WOW!" as the vehicles rolled by)

Some vehicles decided to bypass the actual parade and make a grand entrance to the Festival Grounds...
Lee piloting the LCVP, Kenny and his DUWKS and Tom Price with his LVT. Those who were in the grounds waiting for the display set up really had a treat seeing these vehicles do their job in fine Amphib tradition!

The Adams' entourage....

And if any of you didn't notice, you'll see that we did plenty of advertising for our Grey Lady!
Hey Lets Give It Up For the Adams Family and Friends for an impressive outing over the holidays. Kenny was kind enough to invite The Kelly Family to participate in the Freedom Day Parade in Celina, OH with them. Bethany and Nate helmeted and in uniform, had the privilege of re-enacting the Iwo Jima Flag raising on a float during the parade. They each felt honored to have participated. The photos of them doing it are pretty cool too.

Hey, let's give it up to Seabat for the awesome photos. So many people do so much for the LST in so many ways and I definitely agree with the 325 getting great publicity! There were a lot of 325 Crew T-Shirts and hats visable.

As the assortment of Jeeps, Half-Track and various military vehicles paraded down Main Street to the beach then took their places, parked in a row, near water's edge, the crowd gathered to see the final phase of the parade, the flotilla. Okay it was only three vessels, but where else are ya going to see a family with so many personal military vehicles have their own parade and have Kenny and his "Ugly Duckling" pop out of the water, followed by Tom Price and his LVT Water Buffalo and an LST 325 LCVP beach, then drop its ramp in succession?

The crowd was very appreciative of the impressive display. Just when you thought it was over, the Buffalo drops its ramp and Tom Price drove his Mighty Mite down and out on the beach to the surprise of many. It was a very unique experience. I am thankful to have enjoyed Kenny's family, our other good friends and the Freedom Day Parade and festival.

During the parade, Lindy and I were in the Buffalo. I was seated in the Gunner's Seat when it rose up out of the water and clanked to a halt on the beach. Seated atop the Buffalo between Tom and I was a second wave Marine that beached on Iwo Jima. It was a touching day. Especially so when I saw our children on the Iwo Jima Float under Marion's 1942 LST flag given to him in Normandy, D plus 3, by his Skipper.

Last but not least it was great to CSeabat, Fred, Sandra, Tom, Kenny, Anna and all the other cool people in his family. Thanks for the invite. We would have liked to have stayed longer, but having been on the road for the past two weeks plus, the bed at home sure felt nice and not having to contend with the holiday traffic was a real plus.

Maybe our 4th of July Celebration originated in 1776, but kid you not, the freedom and independence we enjoy dates back to the successful conclusion of WWII. HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND THANK YOU VETERANS EVERYWHERE!!!!

July 6th, 2009, 3:48 am #6

ALWAYS HAVE TIME TO PLAY

THANK-YOU TO ALL AND HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT WEEKEND
FROM THE ADAMS FAMILY AND FRIENDS

July 6th, 2009, 4:02 am #7

Freedom Days Picnic - Military Vehicle Parade on PhotoPeach
http://photopeach.com/album/wk1ogq
Last edited by SeaBat on July 6th, 2009, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 6th, 2009, 5:14 am #8

In the first group of photos, the fourth one down, she's in the white T shirt with the red shorts... I was taking another much later in the day for you and the battery on my camera died... I recharged it that night, but never got another photo.. sorry Rocky! Maybe Anna got one she'll share.

She sure enjoyed the ice cream she and her friend put on your charge card!
Rocky, are you holding out on me?

July 9th, 2009, 3:31 pm #9

The Adams' entourage....

WOW- what a great display but this is typical for the Adams Family! It is always amazing how they can make it all look so easy and really hard work becomes "fun" for all of them.

It's sure inspiring and a patriotic thrill that needs no fireworks to impress ~ all the smiles do that !!!

This is a single response for all the postings with this "thread".

July 9th, 2009, 10:35 pm #10

The Adams' entourage....

The young man in the Army fatigue jacket is my Grandson. His uncle is one of the many that will be heading to Iraq very soon. We're proud of both of them. The Grandson will be the next generation of LST'ers no doubt...

(ED: Jerry, we're gonna have to work on making sure this kid knows he's a snipe.. his shirt is WAY too clean!!!!)