A good substitute

A good substitute

June 3rd, 2008, 3:43 pm #1

Evansville tried hard to get a P-47 for display.
Our hopes were dashed when the warehouse fire destroyed the aircraft so many people had worked so hard to bring back to Evansville.
It seems we may never get a real P-47.
A possible substitute might be to commission the building of a full scale model of one.
It would look good enough for display and would be an excellent lawn item for the new Museum addition.

As you go East on US 64 from Hwy 41 you can see several excellent scale model aircraft.
This individual certainly has the skills to complete such a project and it would be a labor of love I am sure.

Just a thought.

June 4th, 2008, 12:34 am #2

truly an inspiration. His aircrafts are a labor of love. He has stomach cancer and it's very hard for him to stand to work on his "loves". He wants you to stop and visit with him. His name is Tud. He has a sign in sheet of over 3 books and can tell you about every visitor practically. Don't stop if you don't have time to visit because he wants to tell you about his "loves". Each plane is hand made, hand pop rivited, quite a feat with what I think is arthritis in his hands. His garage is an array of airplane parts and tools. This man is truly a must see if you have time when driving by. If you stop on the interstate to look at his planes he will probably come out of his garage and try and get you to come around and talk. He has a video camera set up watching the interstate for this exact purpose.

June 4th, 2008, 5:30 pm #3

I have seen the scale size planes for the last 13 years driving past Evansville always wondered if visitors were welcome. Now that I know, I will on my next trip to the Ship! For those that haven't seen them, they are impressive and eye catching at speeds up to 70mph. Also looking at the map easy to get to.

June 6th, 2008, 12:10 pm #4

by yesterday and there was a tractor trailer truck on the East bound side and the driver had crossed the interstate (walking) and Tud and he were having a conversation over the fence. I'll telling you folks if you haven't seen Tud's display it's well worth the trouble to take a look. Tud has a love for these planes and would love to show them to you.